Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2023 11:01:59 AM EDT
Will work on version of GI canteen cup stove with open bottom and open top.  So-called "Desert Storm" version of GI canteen cup stove with closed bottom will require some deviation from instructions given in video Here

Point of this exercise is to decrease boiling time/fuel usage by elevating the canteen cup and allowing flames to pass around it thus heating the cup more efficiently.  Difference in flame path (before and after) can be seen in the linked vid; difference in boiling time seems to be considerable.

Without this mod, the trick is to reverse the orientation of the cup (turn cup 180 deg vice stove) and then sit the cup atop the stove, NOT inside the stove.  Mod above is more stable and seems to work better.  In addition, the cup can be lifted free of the modded stove whereas when the cup is slipped into the un-modded stove, the cup seems to "jam" inside the stove, and when the cup is lifted, the stove assy comes with it.

In lieu of possibly rusting coat hanger material, I think I'll try some 2mm dia stainless steel rod.  I >> think<< that is the largest diameter ss rod that is "easily" bendable and suitable for this application.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
@raf , something is missing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@raf , something is missing.
View Quote
Thanks; fixed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
ETA:  Just made a few sets from 2mm dia. Stainless steel rod (amazon).

By all means expend a coat hanger to learn how to make these very useful items; practice makes perfect, and while the learning curve is not a steep one, it's still there.  Your second attempt is likely to be much better than first attempt.

Having a black marker to mark bending/cut points will be useful.  A small/middlin' size pair of needle nose pliers is just the ticket especially for tight bends.

Used an 8" pair of HF slip jaw pliers to cut off excess rod.  Suggest filing ends of cuts in rod to prevent possibility of cutting one's hands due to sharp edges.

One of the goals of this exercise is to allow using a Trangia alcohol burner inside the canteen cup stove.  Suggest making sure the shaped rods are configured to allow this--usually a simple matter of proper bending and cutting/bending off excess rod within the canteen cup stove.

Very pleased with this simple but effective mod.

A possible alternative for those who do not have the early-style GI canteen stove is to purchase the stainless steel "Jolmo Lander Canteen Cup Stand Stainless Steel Stove for G.I. Style Canteen Cup" on Amazon.  I have one on the way, and user reports are favorable.  It's rather expensive, but original GI canteen stoves are also increasing in price.  Note the wider diameter, raised points on the surface of the Jolmo item, which serve to raise the cooking vessel and improve cooking efficiency/reduce fuel usage.  With the open end of the Jolmo item up, a small stainless steel plate emplaced on the stove's bottom should allow use of fuel tabs.  Same sort of plate could also be used with the open-ended GI stove. Time will tell.  Will report back if the item is not worth the cost.

I have come to prefer the early-style, double open-ended GI canteen cup stove because it is more versatile (multi-fuel) than the later (Desert Storm) stove which was designed with a closed bottom and intended for fuel tab usage.  YMMV.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top