Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2017 10:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang]
Looking for some ideas on a decent rod and reel setup that will survive saltwater, be of decent enough size to pull fish in that have a max weight of 20Lbs, reasonably easy enough to operate that a new to fishing adult or still learning under 10 year old can operate.

Probably 20 years ago I saw what I thought was a pretty small for saltwater fishing(looked like freshwater gear) rod and reel set used by several people on a pier in NC.  These guys were bringing fish in back to back with no problems.  Rods looked to be 4 to 5 foot in length and had amazing flexibility.   Something along these lines seems like it might be good for what I'm looking for as it'd be easy to "pack" in the truck and teach shorter anglers on.

What would you guys pickup?

Budget is a significant item of consideration in this for what it's worth.  I know the fishing world, especially saltwater, can get expensive really quick.  I'd like to keep cost of the setup to under $50 per rod and reel unless that's unrealistic.  Max would be $75.

Any advice you guys can share would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Penn Fierce II I a nice combo for around $80.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies so far.  How's the ugly stick working out?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#4]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Looking for some ideas on a decent rod and reel setup that will survive saltwater, be of decent enough size to pull fish in that have a max weight of 20Lbs, reasonably easy enough to operate that a new to fishing adult or still learning under 10 year old can operate.

Probably 20 years ago I saw what I thought was a pretty small for saltwater fishing(looked like freshwater gear) rod and reel set used by several people on a pier in NC.  These guys were bringing fish in back to back with no problems.  Rods looked to be 4 to 5 foot in length and had amazing flexibility.   Something along these lines seems like it might be good for what I'm looking for as it'd be easy to "pack" in the truck and teach shorter anglers on.

What would you guys pickup?

Budget is a significant item of consideration in this for what it's worth.  I know the fishing world, especially saltwater, can get expensive really quick.  I'd like to keep cost of the setup to under $50 per rod and reel unless that's unrealistic.  Max would be $75.

Any advice you guys can share would be appreciated.
View Quote

It's hard to do it all with one rod. I take a light spinning outfit to catch small fish. Put them on a big conventional for bigger ones. Conventional is not for the novice. I wold get a 4000 Shimano if I had to pick a combo. Keep it rinsed after every trip.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Good post, in same situation here, moving to FL, going to need a beach /jetty/Okaloosa Island Fishing pier rod and reel.

Is this one overkill?
West Marine has an Okuma 7' Sarasota Casting Combo with SLX Reel for $159  (ouch)

I'm disabled but I got it figured out, I'm going to use a potato werfer to cast bait beyond the breakers, claim ADA,   
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARnonymous] [#7]
I have two Daiwa D-Waves I got from a small bait and tackle shop in FL. I want to say rod and reel together were 75-100 maybe? maybe cheaper...they do just fine for me as I only get to saltwater fish a few times a year. Read a lot of great things about the Penn battle 2 reels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top