Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2022 1:51:11 AM EDT
I have a PLB but am not well versed in satellite messengers, so forgive me if this is a bit elementary.

I know you can send messages to cell phones with one of these via satellite, but can two of these send messages to each other when both users are out of cell coverage (ie, satellite only, inreach to inreach)?  Is there a significant delay?

I often travel out of cell coverage and was thinking about ways of getting ahold of family post disaster (two way communication) when their local infrastructure is also out, versus having to pay for satellite phones.

Also does anyone know if these work from a plane?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it will do inreach to inreach messages. Done it a few times.  Theres a few minute delay normally and the speed is dependent on how clear your view is to the sky.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah we text between them.  Sometimes a minute, sometimes 10.

We had to do some trick with Garmin tho.  Seems like we set up an @garmin.com kind of address for it to work.    I believe it is because Garmin Inreach (any model) does not have a dedicated phone number.     Other brands do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty cool. I didn't know these existed. Is there something similar that isn't $350?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty cool. I didn't know these existed. Is there something similar that isn't $350?
View Quote

Zoleo seems to be popular.   2 way texting and a dedicated phone number.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah we text between them.  Sometimes a minute, sometimes 10.

We had to do some trick with Garmin tho.  Seems like we set up an @garmin.com kind of address for it to work.    I believe it is because Garmin Inreach (any model) does not have a dedicated phone number.     Other brands do.
View Quote

Yeah the mini has its own ID as will the other Mini
Set each other up in your respective contacts list and update your Minis ahead of time to make the whole thing more painless.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If you message an inreach that is off, will the message show up when powered on?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you message an inreach that is off, will the message show up when powered on?
View Quote

Yes, it will take a few minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top