Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2018 5:16:29 PM EDT
I've have an inexpensive Chamberain brand infrared driveway alarm for a couple of years now, but it now seems like the sensor isn't picking up very well.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a replacement.  Looking back now, I probably should have gotten the extended warranty on this one.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks
CVH
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked the sensor for bug related trash (webbing/mud/etc.)?  That has been an issue a couple of times with ours.  I ended up with 3 sensors (arranged down the drive on alternating sides) & generally don't miss anything these days (unless the receiver needs a power off/on reset).   Actually, for a a passive ir detection & extended sensor transmit range the Chamberlain CWA2000 model has been the best bang for buck I've found so far.  Sensors can be purchased individually for about $30 delivered via Amazon (prime).
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you checked the sensor for bug related trash (webbing/mud/etc.)?  That has been an issue a couple of times with ours.  I ended up with 3 sensors (arranged down the drive on alternating sides) & generally don't miss anything these days (unless the receiver needs a power off/on reset).   Actually, for a a passive ir detection & extended sensor transmit range the Chamberlain CWA2000 model has been the best bang for buck I've found so far.  Sensors can be purchased individually for about $30 delivered via Amazon (prime).
View Quote
+1  
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I took it apart and cleaned it good and wiped the sensor with electrical contact cleaner. i plan on doing a little more testing with it today before throwing in the towel and getting a new one.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Changed the batteries already, I'm guessing?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I gave up on the sensors, and use a nest camera.  Much better, and this way the feds know exactly what time i get home.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I never had much luck with the IR driveway sensors. Probably because I had the cheap Harbor-Freight version.
We have a Might Mule magnetic driveway sensor. If all you are worried about detecting is vehicles, it works great!

https://www.mightymule.com/fm231/
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
My problem seems to be the opposite of yours,mine are TOO sensitive.  Mine go off for squirrels, my dogs,and sometimes just sunbeams. I keep mine off 99% of the time because all of the false hits keeping me running to check the driveway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seismic intrusion detectors are you #1 way to go but unfortunately all but unavailable for the last 16 or so years.

MURS Dakota alert alarms offer a much better solution than the chamberlain deals. We have had and used both of them and I wouldn't bother with the chamberlian deals again.

The MURS transmitters are water resistant, easy to camoflage to match surroundings and offer the best alternative to seismic detectors. PIR is a different technology than seismic detection, but would be the 1st choice after seismic.

We use both, seismics for around 20 years here and MURS for about 10 years.
View Quote
Unless you design and make your own...

Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
We sell Cartell in ground sensors.  $$ but work well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top