Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2021 11:01:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a 2012  aspen trail bumper pull it used to be beautiful but a big hailstorm at the new house did her in on the looks department but I still love the dumb thing . Most of my diy things were when we first got it but are helpful if someone buys a older camper without all the new fangled stuff.

All led bulbs except for above the sink in the bathroom and the main bedroom light. Neither of those lights would be on long but they are the 2 places the wife wants good bright light. switching all the rest really save the battery

led strip up under the awning before companies started doing it from the factory. I'll open the awning  about a foot (keeps the wind from tearing it off but still throws a bunch of light)  when we leave in the afternoon to go elk hunting then when you get back to camp you have tons of light to get gear put away or dinner cooking.

When we go hunting for multiple weeks we carry a lot of extra water so I built up a 12v fuel transfer pump so you don't have to lift and hold the jugs when you need to add some water.

If I think of more stuff I'll add on to this

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Switching to all LED lights.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
OP.......for your fishing poles you might consider using PVC pipe to hold the rods.   Use a clamp or the hangers that you have.  You can also screw the pipe directly to the ceiling in your storage area.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
For the fishing poles i used vinyl gutter and put them on the floor of the cubby. Each “gutter” will hold 2 poles without stuff getting tangled.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Edit: pic is sideways....sorry
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I don’t care for things loose in the bed of the pickup.

The original flat rack that came on the back of the trailer was rated for 300lbs, so I had to weld in some supports.  It does not add too much weight to the back of the trailer when towing.  In the box is my electrical cord, water hose, and landing gear accessories.  I bought the steel at a scrap yard.

Also made a bracket for the Rotopacks for fuel.  Rotopacks are cumbersome, but better than having a loose gas can in the bed of your truck.  Of course you have to take them off when you get to your destination.

About 10,000 miles with this set up, and relieves loading and unloading the bed of the truck.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a 2019 Outdoors RV 24RLS.
I have done a few things that I felt were needed:
Changed all the interior lights to LED
Shitcanned the crap Furrion “entertainment system” and replaced it with the Kenwood DDX6906 head unit out of my old truck.
JBL Concert series speakers on the interior and Fusion XS marine speakers on the exterior.
Added a proper locking battery box for the 2 6 volt house batteries.
Upgraded the battery cables to 4 gauge welding cable.
Did a lot of work on the electrical system such as replacing crimp connectors that had been poorly crimped, properly routing and looming wires where possible, just generally neatening things up.
The pass through storage at the front of the camper runs right under the bed and that area is uninsulated. I popped the paneling in the storage area loose and put in 1” foil faced rigid foam insulation. Made a huge difference.
Replaced the shitty Chinesium wheel bearings with Timkens.
Hitch pins to lock the bumper caps in.
Made stainless steel cable “leashes” for the bumper caps so if I forget the hitch pin and a cap pops out I won’t lose it.
Polyurethane shock bushings.
Double check anyplace a penetration through the walls are made such as cargo doors, utility entrances etc for proper butyl caulking. A couple hours and a $15.00 roll of butyl tape is well spent to make sure everything is leak free.

The best mod I think- I put some LED floodlights on the back of the trailer and wired them with a diode system so when my truck is hooked up they are back up lights. When I am unhooked I can turn them on from inside of the camper for flood lights.
Why they don’t put back up lights on trailers befuddles me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Started a RV mod thread and didn’t see this one , my bad.  I added an extra mini fridge to my pass through storage since my rig didn’t come with an outdoor kitchen . My wife is happy that I am not taking up space in the main fridge with my beer .Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have a 2019 Outdoors RV 24RLS.
I have done a few things that I felt were needed:
Changed all the interior lights to LED
Shitcanned the crap Furrion "entertainment system" and replaced it with the Kenwood DDX6906 head unit out of my old truck.
JBL Concert series speakers on the interior and Fusion XS marine speakers on the exterior.
Added a proper locking battery box for the 2 6 volt house batteries.
Upgraded the battery cables to 4 gauge welding cable.
Did a lot of work on the electrical system such as replacing crimp connectors that had been poorly crimped, properly routing and looming wires where possible, just generally neatening things up.
The pass through storage at the front of the camper runs right under the bed and that area is uninsulated. I popped the paneling in the storage area loose and put in 1" foil faced rigid foam insulation. Made a huge difference.
Replaced the shitty Chinesium wheel bearings with Timkens.
Hitch pins to lock the bumper caps in.
Made stainless steel cable "leashes" for the bumper caps so if I forget the hitch pin and a cap pops out I won't lose it.
Polyurethane shock bushings.
Double check anyplace a penetration through the walls are made such as cargo doors, utility entrances etc for proper butyl caulking. A couple hours and a $15.00 roll of butyl tape is well spent to make sure everything is leak free.

The best mod I think- I put some LED floodlights on the back of the trailer and wired them with a diode system so when my truck is hooked up they are back up lights. When I am unhooked I can turn them on from inside of the camper for flood lights.
Why they don't put back up lights on trailers befuddles me.
View Quote
Nice list. We just picked up a 2020 250RKS and I'm digging through it, making notes on what needs to be changed. I think I'll steal some of your ideas, the LED floods on the back are a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Great improvements, I need to put in some shelves, but  I don't want to make it easier to load shit up and increase my overall tongue weight.   I like the basket idea, it will let you easily pull the  stuff out in the fall and make it less permanent so stuff doesn't just build up like my basement has.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mine is on the end of the canopy.  It lights the campsite up better than it would from the wall, but the canopy has to be all the way out.  I'd rather have it on both if I could.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Led strip up under the awning before companies started doing it from the factory.

Mine is on the end of the canopy.  It lights the campsite up better than it would from the wall, but the canopy has to be all the way out.  I'd rather have it on both if I could.

Are you guys using a pre-fab LED strip?  Any examples?   Is it hardwired or via plug?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice list. We just picked up a 2020 250RKS and I'm digging through it, making notes on what needs to be changed. I think I'll steal some of your ideas, the LED floods on the back are a good idea.
View Quote

Thanks, they are items that over the years of truck camping decided are worthwhile.

The LED lights on the rear make a huge difference, back up lights on a trailer are a requirement IMO. Being able to use them as flood lights out the back when unhooked is a bonus.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I my son and I built a wooden drawer for the front pass through.  It can come out easily enough if we sell the trailer.  It holds the Anderson Hitch, Treggar, large first aid kit and dog food.  Plus other random stuff that gets placed there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Insulated the top and the interior side of our front pass-thru in the TT with some 1” thick insulation board, since it is right under our bed. We’re planning on using it late into the year. It should help in keeping some of the cold from transferring in.

Only cost $30 for the foam board. The new utility knife was a needed purchase anyway!
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Great thread!

We bought my grandparent’s 2016 Forrest River 26’ trailer last year. It was completely stock with the exception of a weight distribution hitch  

First things I did:

- new mattress of course, and primed and painted the OSB bed hatch
- replaced the 6 ply tires with 8 ply
- replaced the 12v deep cycle batteries with Napa 6v batteries. Almost tripled AH capacity.
- replaced all the interior lights with LED from M4
- baskets for in the closets

Things I plan to do this year

- rear basket carrier for cooler/generator
- 12v power outlet that’s constant on. Evidently that’s not a thing in this trailer
- add some insulation under the bed in the storage compartment.
- more exterior lighting. It’s not bad now on the entry/awning side of the trailer, the off side is dark
- really like the locking fuel cans on tongue. That may need to happen this year. When we tow with our Suburban, I’ll need some where to store gas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought a Heartland Trail Runner 27rks a couple years ago. Most of the improvements have been storage related.

Closets were converted to shelves
Installed under be lift system
Added some wood trim to living area to mount a wide array of hooks
Under sofa storage
Adding cabinet doors for under booth storage access
Replacing some/all countertops with butcher block
Sewer pipe hose holder under camper
In cabinet lighting
Magnetic wall mounted knife block
More hooks
Removed on recliner to have more dog space
Bumper mounted hitch for bike rack
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Installed small gas struts on overhead cabinet doors that open vertically. A little easier getting stuff in and out of them now.

Our TT has a sleeper sofa across the back end. On each side of it is an enclosed box, 32”D x 12”W x 20”H, to be used as end tables. There is no access inside of them, and I figured they have to be empty, so I  pulled the tops off of them. One is completely empty, the other is where the power plug is from outside. On the one with the plug, I built a removable shelf to sit above it, so it’s about an 8” deep space now.

Split the tops on both of them about 1-1/2” in from the side wall of the camper, and put a piano hinge on them do you can just flip the top open now, and reinstalled them. It gave me two nice storage compartments for whatever. Thought it was silly that they were inaccessible to the inside.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top