Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 9:46:45 PM EDT
Thanks for your expertise and advise.

Looking for something lightweight.  Ideally, lower magnification (2-4x) and decent quality.  Price point is $300 max.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a sionyx aurora?
hard to get something decent for that cheap I believe
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't exist...
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't exist...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
A Gen 1 unit like a Sightmark Ghost Hunter is probably your only option.  You'll need to rethink your definition of 'decent image quality.'

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe a sionyx aurora?
hard to get something decent for that cheap I believe
View Quote

Came to post this. ANything else is basically worse than a $100 flashlight. The SiOnyx is $400 plus maybe $25 for a chinese IR flashlight and you're about as good as you're going to get until your budget passes $3k+ unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
For image intensifiers, you've got to pay to play... entry level has remained pretty stable at $2,000-3,000 for a Gen III if I recall correctly. Gen 1 night vision (the ~$100-200 options) are awful IMO, have terrible FOV and utterly rely upon IR illumination to be useful. The Aurora might be your best bet so long as you do your research.

Here's a great view of the Aurora to see if it fits your needs:
Digital Night Vision: SiOnyx Aurora Review

The price of thermals, however, has fallen considerably.  It used to be that a 320 res thermal would cost as much as a small car, $6,000-10,000+. I was excited three years ago when I found the FLIR Boson core for "only" $1,800, and now you can get that sort of resolution in a handheld water resistant package for $500 (down from $800)..

https://www.mesfire.com/Seek-Reveal-Fire-PRO

Not as good as night vision for identification and navigation, but for pure detection (depending on conditions), thermals are hard to beat.

Here's the same scene, for example:

Just depends on what your purpose is.

Regards
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#7]
You can get a gen1 monocular, but you'll definitely want an additional IR light.  Gen 1 needs either full moonlight or extra IR illumination to see much.

For a bit more, the Sionyx is a better deal for most uses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top