Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2018 1:27:48 PM EDT
Unfortunately I’m traveling for work and my wife is home alone in a snow storm while 8 months pregnant.
She has no electricity and no hope of power for a few days. She physically can’t use the wood stove which is our normal emergency heat source. She is having a neighbor buy her an indoor kerosene heater, as was recently discussed somewhere on this forum. Neither of us have any experience with one of them. Any tips or tricks or other specific items she should ask the neighbor to bring? We know it needs fuel but that’s about it. I’m on the road and don’t have much time but I’m doing my best.

Thank you all!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just pay attention to the flame level. Too high and you get inefficient combustion and monoxide issues and soot.

The manual will give good guidance.

Also,  This.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
We used one just a couple weeks ago.Power was off for 4 days.
READ and UNDERSTAND the instructions......use K1 kerosene or similar,often availabile at gas stations for around $4.20  /$4.70 gallon.( In my area)
I bought a Red Stone brand from Tractor Supply and it worked very well.It heated our smallish house very comfortably.It was $100,on sale.I believe it's rated 23,500 btu and it burned around 1 gal. in 5 hours.( depends on the setting)
For a little added safety factor I also bought an additional smoke detector and a CO detector and left them near the heater.The pair was $20 at Walmart.( Kidde brand)
Some folks put a couple drops of vanilla extract in the fuel to eliminate the kerosene smell.
Best of luck to you and your wife...
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just pay attention to the flame level. Too high and you get inefficient combustion and monoxide issues and soot.

The manual will give good guidance.

Also,  This.
View Quote
This

Crack a window, keep the flame on the wick, and have a working carbon monoxide detector in the same room or close by.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Fill the heater outside.  You will spill some.  Most of the bad rap K heaters get for "fumes" is spilled fuel.

Do not burn dry.  When it gets low, shut off and refill.

Buy fuel at the pump, not in the can at Lowes/HD.  Pump is usually far cheaper.  Note:  I buy windshield wiper fluid in 5 gal plastic containers.  These are the same as used to package K1 for sale at hardware stores in some locations.  Instead of buying a lot of fuel cans for Kero, use the wiper fluid containers (admittedly, this isn't of use to you now, but looking ahead....).

In my experience the battery powered starter on many units is hinky.  Often easier to simply light with a BBQ lighter.....

ADJUST THE FLAME!  a slight rising or lowering of the wick often makes a huge difference.  READ THE MANUAL!  Most recommend allowing the wick some time to absorb fuel before lighting and cover flame adjustment
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all very much.

She bought the Tractor Supply heater mentioned above, last one left at our local store.

We have a couple CO detectors, at least one works on battery power. I will make sure she’s got that one operating.

We do have a kerosene can that she can get filled. Is the stuff from the gas station kerosene pump good enough to run as is, or are additives needed?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
regular pump K1, no additives, is absolutely fine....

Its been some time since I have run mine, but seems to me that I'd get about half a day on a tank full of fuel.  With tanks about 2 gallons, you can expect a 5 gallon fuel can to run a little more than 24 hours.

For what its worth, I'm north of the Adirondack park.  1996 vintage single story ranch.  1454 sq ft.  And a 22K BTU kerosene convection heater would keep the house quite livable.  Place it center of the house.  Living dining and kitchen would run 70+ degrees easily.  bedrooms would be "cool".  At night, move it closer to bedrooms (hallway between bedrooms).
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]
You need another 2 -5 gallon cans. Tractor supply has the sealed cans but they are $40.

Use common sense and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Use clear kerosene, not dyed red. Typically the clear kerosene is dispensed only at the short-hose pumps to deter people from using $4 kerosene instead of $3 diesel in their pickups.

I'm not sure if a modern heater is as affected by dyed kero as perfection heaters.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you all very much.

She bought the Tractor Supply heater mentioned above, last one left at our local store.

We have a couple CO detectors, at least one works on battery power. I will make sure she’s got that one operating.

We do have a kerosene can that she can get filled. Is the stuff from the gas station kerosene pump good enough to run as is, or are additives needed?
View Quote
Make sure it is 1-K and not 2-K which is high in Sulfer.
If in doubt pay more to be sure it’s 1-K from a place like Tractor supply.

Batteries and a BBQ lighter as backup and spare batteries for the CO detector.

Fill heater for the first time and wait at least 1/2 hour, 1 hour is better before starting to allow the wick to get saturated with kerosene.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone, thank you so much! I’ve copied and emailed everything for my wife to read.

Power was restored around 1700 today and she hadn’t started the kero heater yet. The neighbor set it up for her. Snow is still coming down heavy and electrical service is flickering all around the area, so we will see what happens.

Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#11]
As another thought, (when you can), pick up a Mr. buddy propane heater. They can work out pretty well as an
emergency heat source.

Good luck to your wife
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#13]
If you get a Buddy heater get the extension hose and connect it to a large tank, the one pound tanks don't last but maybe seven house.  As with a kerosene heater, be sure and read the manuals and understand ventilation/fresh air requirements and have a smoke and CO detector nearby as well as a fire extinguisher.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've used a tower for years for backup and to save on heat pump cost when its too cold.

On low, I heat my entire house a little less than a week on 20 gallons.  
Fuel, I just use the pump at the station.

I probably have five of the catylitic propane heaters, Heater Buddy and Coleman.  They make great room heaters and use them every winter but whole house for days, I much prefer the kerosene towers.

Tj
View Quote
Which tower or towers do you use/recommend?

Are there certain brands or technologies to either avoid or seek?

Building a rural house next year and want to have a back up heat source in place for next winter.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which tower or towers do you use/recommend?

Are there certain brands or technologies to either avoid or seek?

Building a rural house next year and want to have a back up heat source in place for next winter.

Thanks
View Quote
A power free wood stove is the best back up heat source.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A power free wood stove is the best back up heat source.
View Quote
I agree and will have a wood stove on the main level.

Thinking of having kerosene on the lower level which will also be used in the shop during the winter.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I agree and will have a wood stove on the main level.

Thinking of having kerosene on the lower level which will also be used in the shop during the winter.
View Quote
I have a vented propane Mr Heater Big Maxx in my shop and a smaller one in my house garage. Once you have vented heat in a shop, you'll never go back to vent free heat. Warm and, more importantly, dry heat.

I've used a variety of vent free heaters including the kerosene tower heaters over the years and will not go back to them if I have a choice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#20]
^

Thanks TJ

Great info !

Edit to ask:

I believe that one cannot use diesel in a kerosene heater but want to confirm that?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
^

Thanks TJ

Great info !

Edit to ask:

I believe that one cannot use diesel in a kerosene heater but want to confirm that?
View Quote
I would avoid it at all costs but in a pinch you can supposedly burn ULSD:
http://www.milesstair.com/Diesel_cotton_wicks.html

Google it and you will find more info.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I ran K1 for years when l was in PA.  I tend to prefer the radiant heaters.  They require a bit of fiddling but seem to smell less to me.  Pump fuel is fine, avoid dyed fuel or diesel fuel.

My heaters are almost 30 years old, Kerosun brand and outside of cleaning and a wick replacement now and then, still work like new..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top