Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2021 8:54:11 AM EDT
I'd like to try my hand at indoor gardening over the winter.  I've tried it in the past with other plants but needed a space heater which I'm really not comfortable with leaving on, especially when not home.  The area I have available isn't very big, maybe 4'x6' and two LED boards/sinks/drivers give it PLENTY of light to grow.  But when looking at tomatoes, broccoli, herbs, and maybe a root veg or two.... what SPECIFC varieties are both tasty and hearty in colder temps?  

Bonus points.... what edibles will grow with overcast winters on a chilly window sill?  

Thanks!  

Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Also interested, my wife and I were just discussing this possibility this morning.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried this in the basement near the coal stove. Tomatoes and lettuce. The lettuce did well and I was able to harvest. The tomatoes grew to the point of blossoming and then no fruit development. I tried hand pollinating but I am pretty sure the temps were not high enough.
Herbs on the window sill should work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top