Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2021 9:01:42 PM EDT
I’m actually visiting Yellowstone National for the next few days and hoping to make a few QSO’s using a KX3 that I brought along.  I thought about activating a POTA but I’m not sure if I have the time.  I will be listening/calling on 20m and maybe 40m in the evenings.  If you hear NU3U, say hello and let me log a contact with you.  If I get frustrated, I have a little KXPA100 that may increase my chances of you being able to hear me.  

Joe
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a day off of work tomorrow and plan on playing with the radio most of the day.  If I hear you, I'll give you a call.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds awesome!  

If you’re going through the work of setting up though, I’d say go for a POTA activation.  You’ll make a ton of contacts in a short time
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You going to be operating CW?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Any luck?  My plans went sideways and I just turned the radio on.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds awesome!  

If you’re going through the work of setting up though, I’d say go for a POTA activation.  You’ll make a ton of contacts in a short time
View Quote

A friend of mine just did a POTA activation. He made 1,130 contacts in 24 hours and got an award for this . He used a 100W radio with an OCFD dipole at 50 ft.
Another friend does POTA all the time since he only needs internet access to do his daily job. He runs 100 watts from a Yaesu FTDX10 and an QCFD dipole too. The pileups are almost never ending. I had a hard time believing this until I heard him on the air. POTA program has been extremely popular lately.

OP, holler is you want to make a QSO. 20 or 40 meters will be best for this.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Activate!

You don't need a lot of time. Only need 10 contacts for it to be "activated" but even less than 10 counts. Yellowstone will probably draw a lot of folks. I can't say I've seen it on the spot page. I'm sure it's been activated but not recently.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A friend of mine just did a POTA activation. He made 1,130 contacts in 24 hours and got an award for this . He used a 100W radio with an OCFD dipole at 50 ft.
Another friend does POTA all the time since he only needs internet access to do his daily job. He runs 100 watts from a Yaesu FTDX10 and an QCFD dipole too. The pileups are almost never ending. I had a hard time believing this until I heard him on the air. POTA program has been extremely popular lately.

OP, holler is you want to make a QSO. 20 or 40 meters will be best for this.
View Quote
If he was in a popular spot or posted he was going for a Kilo.yeah it can happen. I'm gonna try to go for a Kilo in August. But over 3 days.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn’t have enough power to get above the lightening crashes that I was hearing.  QRP is a real bitch.  I heard a station in Puerto Rico but couldn’t work a station in Omaha.  Usually if I can hear a station I can work them at home but I guess have the Drake L4B makes it easy.  I’ll plan to activate next year and put a little more effort into my antenna.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Activate!

You don't need a lot of time. Only need 10 contacts for it to be "activated" but even less than 10 counts. Yellowstone will probably draw a lot of folks. I can't say I've seen it on the spot page. I'm sure it's been activated but not recently.
View Quote

I agree

do a parks on the air activation

Once you get on the spotter, you should get a pile-up....even @QRP

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top