Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2022 6:30:57 PM EDT
I have a bunch of health issues the latest is a wound on my leg that is taking forever to heal, I have really bad circulation in my legs. Went to the wound clinic a month ago and they usually provide supplies as my insurance company wont pay for them. The gave me 1 compression stocking and that was it. nothing extra. I went back yesterday and they didnt have any of those and had to reuse the the old one. Also was advised they didnt have any of the silver impregnaded bandages. The nurse was rather frustraded by their inability ty to get supplies. I told her id order them online and she wished me good luck finding them. It took an hour of searching to find a source that wasnt backordered. I bought 50 of the bandages when it first started so Im in good shape on those. Im not complaining I didnt get free stuff just shocked how low on supplies they were

I just wanted to give you a heads up that shortages seem to be getting worse. My parents are spoiled by their insurance and cant get them to understand they need to get a month or two ahead instead of waiting for the insurance to provide each month.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I started doing this a few years ago. I've got a pretty good stash of most things. Still could use a few more.

As for drugs, the FDA keeps a running list of meds that are in short supply: Drug shortage list

I recently read where Adderal (ADHD med) is in a shortage and that there are roughly 50 million prescriptions for it currently. That's a lot of folks in for a rude awakening. There was a time not so long ago that there was a shortage of epinephrine and atropine, two commonly used in the ER meds. Some of these shortages are coming from problems getting workers in the pharma plants and some of them are because of supply chain issues. Keep in mind the majority of prescription drugs are imported from either India or China. (Something like 90% of antibiotics come from China.) Problems with the west coast ports or transportation issues can cause spot shortages to pop up unexpectedly.

As for bandages and other types of medical supplies, it's a good idea to have multiple kits of various supplies like that. Most things don't "go bad" very quickly as far as supplies go. Things like elastic wraps can deteriorate over time so it makes sense to replace them every few years. Most stuff in a good med kit is fairly inexpensive so it's a good idea to have a well-stocked supply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top