Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2020 4:28:00 PM EDT
My father recently passed away and as such I got a ton of stuff that he had collected over the years. I dont know enough about some of it and I just dont have the time to google every item as my plate is really full right now.
However, there are some Survival gear type things I would like to get some opinions on. Maybe you guys could tell me keep, sell or trash.
Well, here goes...
There is a shit ton of these MK III chemical suits. They are from 1986 or so, maybe a few from 1996.
pics <-- that link goes to an ebay listing that isnt mine but has all the pictures.
From what I have been able to read they had a shelf life of like 10 years, and even if I extend that by 5 or 10 years we are well past the expiration date if the 10 year number is true.

I know we have sections for reloaders and HAM radio and about everything else but if i posted some of that here would that be ok? It would save me from having to make 1000 threads. There is just so much stuff...
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe he has 2 of these VICTOREEN CDV-715 MODEL 1A RADIOLOGICAL SURVEY METER:
worth hanging onto or just try and sell?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe he has 2 of these VICTOREEN CDV-715 MODEL 1A RADIOLOGICAL SURVEY METER: https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/civildefense/cdv715815a.jpg
View Quote
You need a rad source to test them.  If the detector is bad, they may be worthless.  I have a couple bad ones on my workbench right now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You need a rad source to test them.  If the detector is bad, they may be worthless.  I have a couple bad ones on my workbench right now.
View Quote

well lets presume they work, would it be something you guys think I should keep?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you near a nuclear reactor, or a military base? definitely having a detector is good, for knowing when it's time to come out of the shelter. Do you have a fallout shelter?

If you've never been in MOPP gear, you're in for a treat. They work like a thermos. Keeps hot stuff hot, and cool stuff cool. You might probably still need rubber gloves, cotton inserts, and rubber booties. They will keep you safe from nerve agent for a period of time. They're only good for 30 days, and you cannot get them wet.

Other than that, they're probably worthless.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Tough to estimate best options for you.

What volume of stuff are you talking about?  A few boxes or a few garages full?

Are you into being prepared?  

Yes, Do you have the space to add to your preps?

No, do you want to do a ton of learning and stock stuff you may or may not use?

Bill

I might add the best option is to do a quick SleazyBay search on whatever you do not want to keep and post it for less than current auctions are so it moves fast.  

Bottom line is you can post pics here and we'll help whenever we can.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes of course I am into being prepared. :)
I'm talking garage full of stuff to go through and more to come.
So the chemical suits and such, just try and sell them maybe?
I never figured there would be a real use, I think my dad feared some chemical attack of some sort.
But sometimes there are uses I may not have thought of.

How about HAM radios? He even has the tower you would install an antenna on.
Gas masks? I have at least 10 that are Russian i think, 4 from Israel in cardboard boxes (new in box) and he has what I think are canned gas masks as well.
These:

and these:
link
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Ham towers are tough to get rid of.  Is it standing or in pieces on the ground?   Set up with antennas on it, you can offer it for free on Arfcom Ham Radio Forum if they take it down.  
Laying on the ground in pieces  you can offer it for sale on Arfcom Ham Radio Forum, craigslist or SleazyBay. (Local pick up).
All my Rohn 25 tower sections were free for the taking!

Ham radios, amplifiers and test equipment usually sell easily.
All the extraneous  wires, connectors, accessories and all that other junk that Hams tend to collect are not so easy to get rid of.  
If you find a local ham club that holds ham fests you can rent a table and accept offers on anything you have.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ham towers are tough to get rid of.  Is it standing or in pieces on the ground?   Set up with antennas on it, you can offer it for free on Arfcom Ham Radio Forum if they take it down.  
Laying on the ground in pieces  you can offer it for sale on Arfcom Ham Radio Forum, craigslist or SleazyBay. (Local pick up).
All my Rohn 25 tower sections were free for the taking!

Ham radios, amplifiers and test equipment usually sell easily.
All the extraneous  wires, connectors, accessories and all that other junk that Hams tend to collect are not so easy to get rid of.  
If you find a local ham club that holds ham fests you can rent a table and accept offers on anything you have.
View Quote

Ive got people offering to buy the tower already.
I figure i need to do something with it or it will get stolen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is a list of all the dies I've found so far. Do these go to single stage machines or any progressive machines that would accept them?
Sorry, dad wasn't a big teacher on this stuff.
30 carbine small base die set
300 win mag
30-06 neck sizer
9 mm Luger taper seater
223 die set (2)
41 mag 3 die set
9mm lug die set
44 remington mag die
243 win 2 die set
9mm Luger 3 die set
243 winchester crimp die
30-06 crimp die
45 acp taper crimp die
357 mag 3 die carb set
.45 acp 3 die set
.45 colt 3 die set
.380 auto full die set
.44 mag/.44 special 3 die set
Buring tool

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I believe he has 2 of these VICTOREEN CDV-715 MODEL 1A RADIOLOGICAL SURVEY METER: https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/civildefense/cdv715815a.jpg
View Quote

I'd keep it.  Hell I'd take to the office and "test" everyone who walked into my hallway just for fun. I'd probably go beep beep beep too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd keep it.  Hell I'd take to the office and "test" everyone who walked into my hallway just for fun. I'd probably go beep beep beep too.
View Quote

"Check out my new covid detector guys!"
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Check out my new covid detector guys!"
View Quote

Be careful,  you may find somebody who is a radiation patient.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here is a list of all the dies I've found so far. Do these go to single stage machines or any progressive machines that would accept them?
300 win mag
30-06 neck sizer
9 mm Luger taper seater
223 die set (2)
41 mag 3 die set
9mm lug die set
44 remington mag die
243 win 2 die set
9mm Luger 3 die set
243 winchester crimp die
30-06 crimp die
45 acp taper crimp die
357 mag 3 die carb set
.45 acp 3 die set
.45 colt 3 die set
.380 auto full die set
Buring tool

View Quote

These will sell readily on the EE here. Look up each set you have, price at about 50% of new and it will sell pretty fast. I already see some I'm interested in. What other reloading equipment?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
All the gas masks, unless very new, are probably outdated, and most likely unsafe for use in hazardous environments.  Russki masks are a joke, and the USGI mask in the pic has an uncommon 60mm filter which some claim to be intrinsically hazardous.  There are 60mm to 40mm gas mask filter adaptors, for use with a new filter, but not at all sure I'd trust the mask, even if canned for decades.  Definitely would not trust the filter.

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/defective-masks.htm
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
300 win mag
30-06 neck sizer
9 mm Luger taper seater
223 die set (2)
41 mag 3 die set
9mm lug die set
44 remington mag die
243 win 2 die set
9mm Luger 3 die set
243 winchester crimp die
30-06 crimp die
45 acp taper crimp die
357 mag 3 die carb set
.45 acp 3 die set
.45 colt 3 die set
.380 auto full die set
Buring tool

View Quote

Depends on the machine, but they should work on most progressive reloaders except the Dillon SDb.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I found about 10 more gas masks "nib". And at least 5 more in the sealed cans at his house still.
Can't list on fb marketplace, ebay?
About 8 more chemical suits too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
List on our equipment exchange.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
List on our equipment exchange.
View Quote

probably will have to. I hate dealing with trying to ship stuff though.
FB marketplace wont let me list them there, against their health and beauty rules.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you near a nuclear reactor, or a military base? definitely having a detector is good, for knowing when it's time to come out of the shelter. Do you have a fallout shelter?

If you've never been in MOPP gear, you're in for a treat. They work like a thermos. Keeps hot stuff hot, and cool stuff cool. You might probably still need rubber gloves, cotton inserts, and rubber booties. They will keep you safe from nerve agent for a period of time. They're only good for 30 days, and you cannot get them wet.

Other than that, they're probably worthless.
View Quote

They work great for static hunting. You will not get cold wearing them. the original ''scent lokt'' clothing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They work great for static hunting. You will not get cold wearing them. the original ''scent lokt'' clothing.
View Quote

You are probably right.
I opened one yesterday and I was thinking it would be some lab plastic looking thing but it was this:
Attachment Attached File
logoAttachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like you have a treasure hunt. Keep us posted
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Well Ive not found a whole lot more. Ive been trying to go through ammo and reloading supplies.
Ive got a TON of powder, primers but no projectiles. So my sister and I have been trying to figure out what to do, sell the supplies or get projectiles?
He did have a lead melting pot NIB, ton of lead and some bullet molds so I might grab a 223/556/9mm bullet mold and get his single stage presses and try and figure it all out.
I guess im going to need to buy a 30-06 because there is so much of it I dont know what to do with it all.
I was looking at the browning x bolt, I want something with a magazine (could maybe 3d print more down the road)
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok going through more rounds.
He has 30-06 in individual containers (baggies, boxes, etc) each labelled with all the reloading details.
What's the best way to attempt to store all of it?
Think bags of 8 rounds, 10, 30 stuffed everywhere. One big ammo can I guess?
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He has 30-06 in individual containers (baggies, boxes, etc) each labelled with all the reloading details.
View Quote
Airtight/watertight ammo can.  Same for primesr, but separate can, of course..  Put some reuseable desiccant packs in both https://www.walmart.com/ip/40-Gram-Reusable-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-Beads-Dehumidifier-Canister-Safe-2-Packs/628038080?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222368928725&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74904362534725&wl4=pla-4578503897731267&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=628038080_10000019911&wl14=reuseable%20desiccant%20packets&veh=sem&msclkid=95ae93a08fdf1160021ecc622319e543
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#26]
You might could test the survey meters with a Coleman lantern mantle.  The original mantles were an “alpha” particle emitter that would register on a meter.  Can’t speak for the new/modern ones.  The mantle packaging had/has a cautionary statement that says NOT to “ignite (or use) in a enclosed area”.  Originally this was to avoid an uptake of the smoke containing the alpha particle.  IMO this was only a significant “issue” during the initial mantle lighting, not during subsequent lightings.

ETA:   I do believe what I said above does not apply for your meter. Your survey meter measures expose rates in Rems, not counts per minute of activity which is what I was referring too.  It is highly unlikely you will see any measurable rate of exposure from a lantern mantle.  Also, be advised that the Rem unit of exposure is “old school”.  The modern measure of exposure is now in Sieverts.  Good news is that Rem can easily be converted to Sievert.

Having said all that BS, it’s all relevant.  If when you turn the meter ON you see a deflection of the needle on the lowest range..... it’s working at some level.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fill up ammo cans!  If you do not have a 30-06, you may consider selling them as a lot.  
You may have a hard time finding someone willing to try an unknown reload.  Not saying they are bad reloads, just saying a lot of people are extremely cautious with shooting reloads.

Then again, with the current ammo situation there may be tons of people to buy anything they can get their hands on, so now may be the best time to sell reloads!

Bill
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Fill up ammo cans!  If you do not have a 30-06, you may consider selling them as a lot.  
You may have a hard time finding someone willing to try an unknown reload.  Not saying they are bad reloads, just saying a lot of people are extremely cautious with shooting reloads.

Then again, with the current ammo situation there may be tons of people to buy anything they can get their hands on, so now may be the best time to sell reloads!

Bill
View Quote

Ive filled up a few ammo cans so far, the problem is should I keep them in some sort of organized formation?
example:
Ziplock bag #1 8 total reloads with the powder #, grain, bullet type, case etc written on a sheet of paper.
Zipock bag #2 15 total reloads with same meticulous writting.
Ziplock bag #2 only 2 reloads, all same info.

repeat all that 30x It is very strange because I never once saw him EVER shoot the one 30-06 he had.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#29]

I used  the charcoal enriched suits for years for bow hunting

I  used to buy them at surplus stores in Lieu  of buying the Commercial scent lock suits from the outdoor retailers

I do not have any scientific evidence, but for my uses they worked just great
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I used  the charcoal enriched suits for years for bow hunting

I  used to buy them at surplus stores in Lieu  of buying the Commercial scent lock suits from the outdoor retailers

I do not have any scientific evidence, but for my uses they worked just great
View Quote

I need to come up with some boxes to ship these with and I'll probably list them shortly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top