Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2018 11:36:56 PM EDT
I live in West TN and I'm considering going out of state to do my part to eradicate feral hogs, what state would be the best for this mission?  I may need the practice there have been some hog sightings in the surrounding counties.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Texas and Florida come to mind, but they're everywhere

You looking for a paid hunt?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Paid hunt. All you can shoot? This interests me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no hog problem in Texas, so don't look there.  I'd say Florida.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no hog problem in Texas, so don't look there.  I'd say Florida.
View Quote

You can kill 1000 by yourself and still not dent the population
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Texas and Florida come to mind, but they're everywhere

You looking for a paid hunt?
View Quote
Most likely, I originally considered a helicopter hunt but my CFO didn't like the cost.  A planned ranch hunt would be nice, a rack (bed), chow and something to shoot at.
I see some packages on the net but some research is in order, I'm looking at spring time most likely so I've got some time to figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I live in West TN and I'm considering going out of state to do my part to eradicate feral hogs, what state would be the best for this mission?  I may need the practice there have been some hog sightings in the surrounding counties.
View Quote
Send me a PM.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Texas
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Piggy backing on OPs thread, i live in FL and want to eradicate hogs too.  Anyone know a place in N/central FL for a noob?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Piggy backing on OPs thread, i live in FL and want to eradicate hogs too.  Anyone know a place in N/central FL for a noob?
View Quote
Talk to your local biologist they and the NRCS office get calls on hog destruction. Be discrete with the land owners don’t post pictures without their consent and most of the time don’t post pictures period. It’s been slow this year here I’m not getting as many calls. Which some of the people I’ve taken have bought their own NV and thermal equipment. Public land is a gold mine right now. Most people want a sure thing hunt. They’re afraid of trying to pattern the pigs let alone spend the money on game cameras and bait. I haven’t got my cameras up on the mountain yet so I don’t have this years public land gauged but I’m willing to bet we get ten hogs per deer picture. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Talk to your local biologist they and the NRCS office get calls on hog destruction. Be discrete with the land owners don't post pictures without their consent and most of the time don't post pictures period. It's been slow this year here I'm not getting as many calls. Which some of the people I've taken have bought their own NV and thermal equipment. Public land is a gold mine right now. Most people want a sure thing hunt. They're afraid of trying to pattern the pigs let alone spend the money on game cameras and bait. I haven't got my cameras up on the mountain yet so I don't have this years public land gauged but I'm willing to bet we get ten hogs per deer picture. Good luck!
View Quote
I'd love to hear more about your luck on public land.

How do you know where to hunt? Just start somewhere?
Do you run into a lot of other hunters?
Do you have problems with your cameras getting stolen?
In Texas we can't bait on public land IIRC, so you have to hunt the old fashioned way
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd love to hear more about your luck on public land.

How do you know where to hunt? Just start somewhere?
Do you run into a lot of other hunters?
Do you have problems with your cameras getting stolen?
In Texas we can't bait on public land IIRC, so you have to hunt the old fashioned way
View Quote
Well I sold real estate for years so I had a good idea where to start. Plus asking the biologist and NRCS is always a good place to start especially with land owners close to public land.
Second question depends on location we see a few other hunters around the lake but not many on the mountain where it’s rough ground.
We had one camera took by a game technician but when he found out we were after pigs he brought it back with a bonus sack of corn. Baiting deer is illegal but talking with the local game wardens helps skirt that problem. They want rid of the hogs too.
Now getting your name out there and being discreet is the best way to access private land.
Another trick is to mount your game cameras high. We use a single strap on tree step to get out of easy reach.
The main trick is to communicate with people.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Texas for the number of hogs, but any of the southern states will have them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top