Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2019 8:35:07 PM EDT
Happened last week on Eufala IIRC on the border of Ga and Al. Some people should not own boats. I'd say 25% of all boat owners are in that class. Going for his cell phone up front, while on plane at full throttle...

Man THROWN from Boat going FULL Speed
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy enough to approach the errant boat on a tangent to the circle it is moving in, transfer someone aboard, then kill the throttle. Problem solved. It's what we did in a similar situation in Florida many years ago. Takes a little balls but we were well equipped.

But you're right. Shit ton of people out there that own boats that have no business ever untying the fucking thing from the dock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:43:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#2]
Pfft. Idiot.  No need to call 911, get close to the runaway boat

and toss a rope in it's path. Prop eats rope, engine stalls. Easy peasy.

Just remember to let go of the rope when the prop eats it.

Eta - Jumping from one boat to the other takes big brass ones and is beyond my pay grade!
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That lanyard thing on the throttle, is a thing. Use it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mnvwguy02:
View Quote
LOL right?

Shit you can hear him making excuses as soon as he gets back on the boat "what probably happened was"

Yea what happened was you didn't use the EXACT THING made for preventing that situation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the sad part is the boat didn't sink itself while not damaging anything else, 'cause now that idiot is back on the lake.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:34:09 AM EDT
[#6]
A pair of idiots here went out the other day when it was blowing 25 with gusts to 40.  There was a solid 2' chop inshore.  They were in a 20' center console.

For some reason, both left boat unexpectedly.  Neither guy was wearing a life jacket, and the owner/operator didn't bother using his kill switch.  The passenger was rescued by another boat, but the owner was run over and killed by his own boat.  His body was recovered about 3 days later.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/20190417/missing-boater-found-was-7th-group-soldier

The vast majority of deaths on the water are easily prevented.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Another no-kill switch ejection:
Bass Boat tossed driver without killswitch
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol. People don't think bow steering be like it is, but it do.

I saw my share of idiots this weekend. wheels falling off trailers, boat

trailers all crossed up on the ramp with someone in the water, behind the boat,

trying to shove it over onto the trailer...with the engine running and in gear.

Waste tank leaking and the owner wondering why the boat is taking on water.

So called professional boat mechanics using our ramp for testing but bring a

boat with dead batteries...every single time.

Won't take me long this year to compile a WTF marina moments post.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RamblinWreck] [#9]
Two guys were killed on Lake Lanier last week. They were in a Skeeter bass boat and hit a 23' cabin cruiser. Impact tore the motor off the transom of the Skeeter, and neither man had a PFD on, so it took a while to find their bodies. That particular area is a big creek off the main lake, and has a lot of marinas in the back, some islands and points that become blind spots if you run too close too fast.

Link to news story and pics

This is my "home" lake, decent fishing and 15 minutes from home to any number of ramps, but from May to October, I only fish this lake early AM on weekdays. There are just too many idiots on the water.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mnvwguy02:
View Quote
I didn't worry about it much in my walleye boat but in my bass boat I always have my vest on when I'm running and I'm trying to get into the habit of hooking up the killswitch.  I'm about 90%, I forget it every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RamblinWreck:
Two guys were killed on Lake Lanier last week. They were in a Skeeter bass boat and hit a 23' cabin cruiser. Impact tore the motor off the transom of the Skeeter, and neither man had a PFD on, so it took a while to find their bodies. That particular area is a big creek off the main lake, and has a lot of marinas in the back, some islands and points that become blind spots if you run too close too fast.

Link to news story and pics

This is my "home" lake, decent fishing and 15 minutes from home to any number of ramps, but from May to October, I only fish this lake early AM on weekdays. There are just too many idiots on the water.
View Quote
Got a couple of lakes like that here.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe these guys survived....  Turn down your sound.

Bass Boat Veloster 400R 102mph ACCIDENT
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#13]
What an idiot. Almost every one of these cases could have been avoided.

A few years ago on Lake Maurepas 5 people got ejected while being stupid, boat went in circles and chopped them up like something from Final Destination.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By callmestick:
I can't believe these guys survived....  Turn down your sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eeyG2WUS5Y
View Quote

Weve got a pretty big following of the performance bass boat guys down here (bullets, allisons, strokers, etc), Ill tell you I cant imagine that.  Ive rode in one that did 82.  I cant imagine getting slung out that fast. I know weve got some guys running upper 90's here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:48:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#15]
Originally Posted By RamblinWreck:
View Quote

Especially with the kayak. I wouldn't go anywhere near there on a weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top