Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2020 1:32:34 PM EDT
Ok - Took the boys deer hunting this past weekend - let the boys use my standard deer caliber bolt gus and I carried my 20 inch heavy barrel Grendel w/ a 6 to 24 x 50 over kill scope.

We still hunt - so it is sitting in deer blinds - so not really carrying it all day - the gun is a beast and I have full confidence that it can/will do the job - am thinking that a lighter weight build would be in order.

The max shot that I would ever want to take is 250 with most being 100 to 200 yards.

So - I am thinking:

a lighter weight 16 or 18 inch barrel.

straight flutes would be nice.

An Aero slick side upper.

Handguard - something light weight - would want a flat bottom to it to rest it on a rail.

Butstock - Open - current jobber has a Magpul rifle stock.

Optics - ????

What are your thoughts/suggestions

Red
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
12” pistol is more than enough for 250 yards.

The weight and size you save can justify a suppressor

A 1-6 or 3-9 would probably be a good optic for deer at those distances.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
What I did and would do it again, 14.5" pin&weld, octagonal shaped carbon fiber hand guard, swfa 2.5-10 scope and adjustable stock that locks up tight. Tips scale right at 7lbs
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#3]
16" and something 2-10, 3-9, maybe 1-6/8 as optic.  Lightweight handguard of some sort.

go 12/12.5" if you are ok with SBR or pistol as that should still be plenty of velocity
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok - Took the boys deer hunting this past weekend - let the boys use my standard deer caliber bolt gus and I carried my 20 inch heavy barrel Grendel w/ a 6 to 24 x 50 over kill scope.

We still hunt - so it is sitting in deer blinds - so not really carrying it all day - the gun is a beast and I have full confidence that it can/will do the job - am thinking that a lighter weight build would be in order.

The max shot that I would ever want to take is 250 with most being 100 to 200 yards.

So - I am thinking:

Handguard - something light weight - would want a flat bottom to it to rest it on a rail.

Optics - ????

Red
View Quote
I already built it for you...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My 6.5G build..

Lancer stock , Lancer 13 octagonal hand guards, Wilson combat stainless Hunter barrel, Odin works bolt carrier group
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive got 2 18" spr ARs. One is what you expect with a LPVO. Its great to carry. The other has a heavy fluted barrel with a 2-10x weaver tac scope but its grendel. It is heavier than my 556 rifle. Wish i had gone lighter on the grendel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-6-5-grendel-1-8-stainless-steel-15-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So - I am thinking:

Optics - ????

Red
View Quote
sounds like a plan

mines basically the areo m4a1 lower/upper and a faxon 18" fluted barrel. i like it but may be too heavy for you i guess

it now has the magpul PRS stock on it  but more or less the same.

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I like an 18" rifle...

16" fluted...

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my 16” Grendel for whitetail. I’ll enjoy it even more once my Nomad gets out of jail
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

What brace is that?
@cms81586
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love my 16” Grendel for whitetail. I’ll enjoy it even more once my Nomad gets out of jail
View Quote

My 18” Grendel is waiting for a Nomad too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
12-14.5" is enough for deer.  I suppress all mine so I like short barrels.  And I can hunt with a suppressor here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

16" fluted Ballistic Advantage barrel makes this one very light.  I have a 1-10 optic on the way to top it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4019/20200630_221156_jpg-1570757.JPG

16" fluted Ballistic Advantage barrel makes this one very light.  I have a 1-10 optic on the way to top it.
View Quote

@Cypher214

Sweet camo job - did you do it yourself or ??

Thinking that my Grendel Deer set up will be a 16 w/ a Faxon 16"gunner barrel - should be sweet.  Going to put a PA 1-8 on top of it.

Red
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Cypher214

Thinking that my Grendel Deer set up will be a 16 w/ a Faxon 16"gunner barrel - should be sweet.  Going to put a PA 1-8 on top of it.

Red
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Cypher214

Red

It's an Aero Precision set that came hydrodipped in MultiCam from Aero.

Then I hunted down the rest of the multicam parts so it matches.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Cypher214

Red
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Cypher214

Red

I’m surprised no one has suggested getting a LaRue UU Grendel kit, what’s the deal guys?  I don’t have one yet, they were not a thing when I had mine built by precision firearms (20” heavy ass lilja barrel, shoulda stuck with a lighter profile).
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I will probably get flamed but I don't understand why you would choose a 6.5 and then cripple it by using a barrel length that doesn't come close to optimizing the ballistics of the cartridge.  

If you want a short barrel, OK great, there are several other great rounds for deer that are not as heavily impacted by suboptimal barrel length.  I have an 18" that I use for whitetail and that is as short as I could justify.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I will probably get flamed but I don't understand why you would choose a 6.5 and then cripple it by using a barrel length that doesn't come close to optimizing the ballistics of the cartridge.  

If you want a short barrel, OK great, there are several other great rounds for deer that are not as heavily impacted by suboptimal barrel length.  I have an 18" that I use for whitetail and that is as short as I could justify.
View Quote

@BFskinner

Not by me....

Do you think of the 30-30 as a good deer cartridge?  150 grains going at 2200 FPS - how does that compare to the Grendel out of a 16 inch barrell?

The LR Accubonds are rated down to 1300 fps expansion...I think that they will work if you do your part.

Right bullets expanding down to

Red
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@BFskinner

Not by me....

Do you think of the 30-30 as a good deer cartridge?  150 grains going at 2200 FPS - how does that compare to the Grendel out of a 16 inch barrell?

The LR Accubonds are rated down to 1300 fps expansion...I think that they will work if you do your part.

Red
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BFskinner

Not by me....

Red

The optimal barrel length to get the most out of a 6.5 Grendel is about 22-24 inches which is pretty impractical in an AR.  Progressively shortening the barrel produces a predictable effect on performance.  

Attachment Attached File

My .264 LBC barrel is 18 inches as I considered that a reasonable tradeoff between decent long-range performance and handling but a 20" would have probably been a better choice since I could have left off the compensator and had about the same size package.

If you are just looking for a gun that provides you with a desired level of performance at a given distance then I guess it doesn't matter much if you are not letting the cartridge live up to it's potential.   However, the whole reason I wanted a 6.5 in the first place was to be able to stretch things out a little while still staying with the AR platform.

For 200 yards or less I think a supersonic 300 BO load would probably be a more practical choice.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I went a little different direction for my grendel hunting rifle build.

I started with a 20” Howa mini-action and cut it down to 12.5”.
I got an MDT Chassis, CTR stock with small cheek riser, Hogue grip, Leopold scope, Talley rings, and an AAC suppressor.
It weighs in at just a hair over 8 pounds as pictured (including suppressor).

I wanted to build a gun for me and my kids to hunt with that had an adjustable length of pull and I tried to pick parts to keep the weight and overall length down.  I knew I wanted to run a suppressor which is why I went with a 12.5” barrel so the overall length wouldn’t be terribly long.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I use a 16in Grendel. It is always a good compromise length.  

For a scope you can't beat a 3/9. It is perfect for hunting and always has been.   One weight saving tip.  Don't fill your mag.  For deer hunting I rarely load more than 7 rounds even though my state has no limit.  

If I have the opportunity for a sounder of pigs I will carry more ammo.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I’ve got a 16” AA upper slapped onto a generic lower + collapsible stock.

I use an ACOG TA 31 for a scope.

I’ve killed deer and caribou with that set up....extremely light/handy/packable on ATVs + snow machines.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I threw a BCA side charger upper w/20" SS barrel on a RR lower w/collapsible stock and a cheap 3x9 Bushnell scope. Let just say it isn't light, comes in just under 10lbs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#25]
You mentioned a slick side upper, I like having a fwd assist in the Grendel. I can’t seat the bolt by pushing it fwd with my thumb like a 556 if I’m trying to load it quietly. Or maybe I’m just weak.

Larue UU Grendel shoots great but is heavy. I like a lighter option for hunting deer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I got a complete upper from Sanders Armory a while back. It’s a Faxon Gunner 16”. Killed five with it so far, and its had a Resonator for the last two. I dig it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Not an AR, but similar (XCR)... I use a 12” pistol.  If I was building an AR I’d do the same.  With a can, and sitting in an elevated blind, the compactness of the short barrel really helps when I have to grab the gun and get it out the window without bumping the walls and making noise.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#28]
This is mine.  20-inch barrel government profile barrel.  Scope is a Burris RT6 1-6x.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I have now switched to 6.5 Grendel in the woods this year for my short range hunts (<200 yds). I loaded 8208 XBR with 100 gr Barnes TTSX and was getting 2,600 fps out of a 16" barrel. That puts me out to just over 250 yards with the velocity over 2,000 fps for expansion. But  if I have a shot over 200 yards, I'm not in the woods at that time and I'd have my 7mm Rem Mag because I have shots out much farther than 200 yards in that instance. I think it will work fine for you. I liked mine using it to tag a decent buck this year (less than 100 yards).

From another site:
Impact...Penetration...Expansion...Weight Retention
2744fps.......30".........(.530")......99%
2176fps.......25".........(.416")......99%
2021fps.......29".........(.410")......99%
1847fps.......34".........(.264")......99%

ETA: LPVO would be my suggestion. I have a Burris XTR II 1-5x24. My Grendel is not my long range hunter and I'm not using this for long range target practice. 5x or 6x magnification is plenty for me. The shorter barrel is faster for me as well as the LPVO on 1x.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Ignore the optics. I am waiting on a Leupold Mark 3HD 4-12.  maybe a little too much scope but I might be hunting out west as well. Just finished it and just test fired it but love it. Super light weight, Faxon 16" Gunner barrel, Faxon bolt, Odin works O2 handguard and CMC trigger. Have a Nomad Ti in jail for it as well.

Honestly if i was not traveling around the country with it and I had the Nomad i would probably go 12". But i also want to use it a little at the range i go to in Montana. that one has steel out to 1100. So 16" might be better than 12"
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’m surprised no one has suggested getting a LaRue UU Grendel kit, what’s the deal guys?  I don’t have one yet, they were not a thing when I had mine built by precision firearms (20” heavy ass lilja barrel, shoulda stuck with a lighter profile).
View Quote

Are you familiar with their Grendel bbl options?

I built mine because I wanted a 12.5" bbl.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

What cartridge would you recommend for a 30 cal suppressor and a barrel shorter than 18"?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What cartridge would you recommend for a 30 cal suppressor and a barrel shorter than 18"?
View Quote

.300 Blackout is the obvious answer and I would hunt with a bbl as short as 8" with one.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Terrain and range is varied where we hunt deer and elk, I've had everything from 70yd shots to just over 650yds. I carry the 22" Grendel in the pack, and have the little 11" suppressed Grendel slung and ready. Anything over 250 or so and I have the time to get out the longer one and set up
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#35]
My always woods/quad ar, wish I could hunt deer with it
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had one and it was a great rifle. A good choice for someone exploring the Grendel. But I like my 12” Grendel better so the UU went to a new home.

A 12” Grendel is an amazing gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Currently building a 12” Grendel that will be my first SBR. Lower should be here Monday, will start the Form 1 then and send it off to be engraved. Using a mixture of lightish parts I should be right on 7 lbs with my SilencerCo Omega on it and my new favorite “budget” scope, a 2-12x42 Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2. Will post pics when I’m done with it. Was able to finally find a Carbine length Superlative piston kit for it today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a 16" AA lightweight barrel on a lightweight reciever set with an ACOG that's just a hair over 6lbs. Works perfect for me!
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#39]
16" Faxon Gunner and YHM Resonator suppresses super nice. 123 Black doing its thang.
ETA:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top