Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2020 11:31:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redman797]
Me an a couple buddies will be going to middle fork end of February beginning of March to hunt wolves. We’ve been coyote and elk hunting before. First time for wolves. Looking for some tips beyond basic hunting. More wolf specific tactics and maybe some beta for locations.

My understanding is this is the end of there mating season, so calling them in might work pretty good, as well as distressed elk calls. Someone told me if we can get one howling close, we should have someone constantly howl to them so the other can move in on it since they remain stationary while they howl back for the most part. I know they’re pretty territorial, so getting a wolf to come in from miles out might be tricky.

Again any advice beyond the basics, more wolf specific helps. To my knowledge baiting is not allowed.

And if anyone knows more detail about how the bounty works on em since it looks like the state does $500.00 and the rocky mtn elk foundation does up to $500.00 in reimbursement, that’d be awesome. Will be calling Idaho fish
and game and rocky mtn. Monday for more on the bounty.

We’ll be packing a 6.5CM and 6ARC since as I understand they’ll be mid range to long range hits.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There will be many people giving advice.
And most will be wrong.

I live here, and I hunt wolves. I also have a working relationship with the entity that pays us to hunt wolves so that puts me in contact with many different hunters.
The trick is time. Wolves here move fast and you have to bait to really be successful.
You might get lucky and get sight of some but cloaking elk herds is a good start.

All I can tell you is is not as easy as many people think, enjoy your time in our back country and be safe!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Just getting into wolf hunting myself with the first day im actively going hunting with some game being wolf tomorrow. I'll let you know if we have any success.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Redoubt99:
There will be many people giving advice.
And most will be wrong.

I live here, and I hunt wolves. I also have a working relationship with the entity that pays us to hunt wolves so that puts me in contact with many different hunters.
The trick is time. Wolves here move fast and you have to bait to really be successful.
You might get lucky and get sight of some but cloaking elk herds is a good start.

All I can tell you is is not as easy as many people think, enjoy your time in our back country and be safe!
View Quote

I was under the impression that baiting was illegal, but sounds like it may not be or I’m reading up on old literature. If you wouldn’t mind sharing some hot spots with me privately that’d be awesome. If not I totally understand. I work a two week on and two week off schedule with my buddies and we plan on going out for a week with possibility of doing 10 days and turning it into an exploration/hunting backpacking trip with no real destination in mind except for finding an elk herd and wolves. We have plenty of backcountry experience and work in the outdoor industry currently. We’re also former mil and wildland firefighters.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot a round into the hillside.   Then let loose with a fawn in distress call.

I watched a video where a guy did that.  Within an hour or so an entire pack came to find the shot animal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top