Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2022 12:32:58 PM EDT
I've been looking at two radios to replace my TS-2000 depending on what Kenwood says on the diagnosis.

I mostly work UHF and VHF. I have no idea what  Dstar is or how to use it since I'm old school and run a dual band antenna for 2m and 70cm. Logically the ICOM 9700 would be my best bet even though I have no idea how to use the Dstar or if I need additional hardware. However the Yaseu 991 is an all mode transceiver similar to the TS-2000 as far as specs. Although the Yaseu only transmits max power of 50 W on UHF and VHF. I currently do not have an HF set up which the Yaseu is the only one between those two radios that does HF.

So I'm in a little bit of a predicament maybe you guys can help me out. Do you guys think I should go with the ICOM which I'll put 100 W on 2m and 75 W on 440 or go with the Yaseu which does HF/50/UHF and VHF. However the Yaseu only does max 50 W.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
VHF/UHF is boring

of those two choices, FT-991a, by a mile

HF is zillion times more interesting

if you’re doing V/U FM, just buy a basic dual band mobile and an IC-7300, FTDX10 or TS-590
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Between the 2, 9700.   Get into v/u ssb work. If you have the sky space, yaesu g-5500 and some modest beams and do sat work.    Digital modes and EME are a thing.  For a real challenge try aircraft scatter.  Lots more you can do with V/U than sit on FM and repeater monitor.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been looking at two radios to replace my TS-2000 depending on what Kenwood says on the diagnosis.

I mostly work UHF and VHF. I have no idea what  Dstar is or how to use it since I'm old school and run a dual band antenna for 2m and 70cm. Logically the ICOM 9700 would be my best bet even though I have no idea how to use the Dstar or if I need additional hardware. However the Yaseu 991 is an all mode transceiver similar to the TS-2000 as far as specs. Although the Yaseu only transmits max power of 50 W on UHF and VHF. I currently do not have an HF set up which the Yaseu is the only one between those two radios that does HF.

So I'm in a little bit of a predicament maybe you guys can help me out. Do you guys think I should go with the ICOM which I'll put 100 W on 2m and 75 W on 440 or go with the Yaseu which does HF/50/UHF and VHF. However the Yaseu only does max 50 W.

Thanks
View Quote

Its all depends on what radio traffic there is in your area and what you'll do...

These guys on this forum can't tell you enough how you should forget about 2m/70cm and go HF...

In my area, we have a good number of Clubs and while HF is huge, we have tons of 2m/70cm repeaters and weekly nets...

So HF is big here..  Last weeks swap net a guy was selling his HF rig as he oly does 2m...

I like the ability to do HF if you want or decide too...  So, I'd rather have the 991A.

You could always add an amp later if needed..

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you need that extra power on 2m and 70cm?  Are you currently using above 50w to hit repeaters or simplex stations that you frequent?

Sounds like a dual bander mobile used as a base would work for you and save you quite a bit of money. Like an Icom 5100 or Yaesu ftm-400

If you want to add hf in case you want to use it someday, look at the Icom 7100. You can find them reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply. Is DSTAR a fad or is it something that is here to stay?

I assume I cannot use the Kenwood M60 mic on an ICOM or Yaseu. It's an eight pin mic but I'm sure the pins are different. Which ever direction I go I'm going to have to purchase a mic suitable for each radio.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Dstar probably isn't going anywhere, but it's kinda ho hum. It's just VOIP. Whether you use a hotspot or repeater it still just being around via the internet. It was fairly popular here for a while. I can't tell you the last time I used my D74 or used the Dstar side of my 7100 and 5100.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. Is DSTAR a fad or is it something that is here to stay?

I assume I cannot use the Kenwood M60 mic on an ICOM or Yaseu. It's an eight pin mic but I'm sure the pins are different. Which ever direction I go I'm going to have to purchase a mic suitable for each radio.
View Quote

D-Star has been around since 2004, so no it's not a fad and appears to be a very well established mode and used frequently around the world.  The Yaesu FT-991 would be more of a direct replacement for your inoperative TS-2000 should it not be repairable. YMMV so choose wisely.

You could always build and adapter for your microphone, but if you don't have the skills to build try reaching own reach out to this guy.  

Hammadeparts.com

Kenwood to Yaesu adapter

I've built several adapters over the years for various microphones and rigs, so don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The MC-60 is not really "married" to only a Kenwood radio and could be adapted to other radios.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got both.  Here is my take on it.

If you strictly want 2M and 70cM or D-STAR, then the IC-9700 cannot be beat.  If you want something that can do bands other than 2M and 70cM then the FT-991A is your rig.  Note that the FT-991A, while it can do more, it does not do more best.

Here are the biggest disappointments to me about each transceiver.  Keep in mind that both of these are awesome radios, but here are things I have discovered about them that I do not like.

FT-991A:  
1.  Cannot scan memories across 10M or 6M bands without a VERY audible relay clicking continuously.  You can scan 2M and 70cM together fine, but going into or out of the 10M and 6M bands will drive you nuts with the clicking.  So, if you want to scan 10M FM, 6M FM, 2M FM, and 70cM FM, you will be disappointed.
2.  2M and 70cM bands use the same Mitsubishi MOSFET PA that the FTM-100DR and FTM-400XDR uses.  I have personally killed at least one of these MOSFETS in each of the three mentioned radios before.  Yaesu SUCK at heat management and the FT-991A is NO EXCEPTION.
3.  The cooling fan is too loud.  Granted that this is a nitpick gripe, but when my computers are quieter than my radio that is sitting idle, I have a problem with that.  Note that the 991A is not loud the instant you power it on, but if you leave it on all the time you will notice it.  I dare not attempt to replace the fan with a quieter model, as I don't want to worsen the cooling that it does provide.

IC-9700:
You cannot use more than one band in the top or the bottom display.  You cannot mix bands in a memory lineup.  You cannot scan more than a single band in a scan list.  This radio separates the three bands completely.  You can select any two and assign one to top and the other to the bottom and that is it.  I wanted to park the bottom on 2M SSB and then scan 2M and 70cM on the top side of the radio.  Nope!  You cannot mix bands.  Now, I can monitor 2M SSB on the bottom and scan 70cM FM on the top, that works fine.  But in order to scan two bands you must use both the top and the bottom of the radio.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...
FT-991A:  
1.  Cannot scan memories across 10M or 6M bands without a VERY audible relay clicking continuously.  You can scan 2M and 70cM together fine, but going into or out of the 10M and 6M bands will drive you nuts with the clicking.  So, if you want to scan 10M FM, 6M FM, 2M FM, and 70cM FM, you will be disappointed....
View Quote

that's not unusual for any shack n a box rig

the rig has to select the right band pass filtering for different bands.

use a cheap bearcat scanner to scan FM stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top