Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/25/2021 2:36:18 PM EDT
Seems like a few of us have this radio, so with that in mind, I am imagining this thread could become a repository for questions about how to use it, etc., instead of starting a new 7300 question thread every time there is a question. Herding cats, I know.  

Past 7300 Threads that I could find:

Question about what internal tuner can handle

Using ICOM IC-7300 with LDG RT-100/RC-100

Full manual download page: https://www.icomjapan.com/support/manual/2271/

Product page with support items: https://www.icomjapan.com/lineup/products/IC-7300_USA/?open=4#manual

New questions in following posts.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This question is about whether a radio setting helps one be heard on the other (receiving) end. I just saw a video describing the "AF Output Level". It is described starting at about 2:00 in here:

Icom IC7300 A to Z #26 USB Receive audio settings

The 7300 comes from the factory with AF Output Level set at 50%. Tom, in the video, sets his to 100%. Does this actually affect the level of audio sent out during transmitting?

Also, the compression setting on the microphone can be adjusted per the manual, page 4-12, to get a more uniformly loud voice, when transmitting. I intend to make that adjustment as soon as I get a chance.

I am thinking every little bit helps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The best way to set audio gain and compression by yourself is to use the monitor function and headphones.

But the best way is to transmit to someone and get feedback on how you sound as you make adjustments.

then you have the transmit bandwidth.
Wide, medium, narrow I think they are called.

For rag chewing with good signal strengths I use wide and for DX I use medium.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff, Mach! More digging for me to do, LOL.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
AF output is also a function of a particular microphone.  Just because you use a level of "X" with one mic doesn't mean it will work with all of them.  I have to use an AF Output of 6 with my headset but can drive a good bit harder with my hand mic or desk mic.

Turn on the main meter [Menu][Meter] and watch the ALC level while transmitting.  If you see a lot of ALC level then you are overdriving the transmitter and causing clipping.  You should also be able to see that on the Audio display [Menu][Audio].  The waveform will be flat on top denoting clipping.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Turn on the main meter [Menu][Meter] and watch the ALC level while transmitting.  If you see a lot of ALC level then you are overdriving the transmitter and causing clipping.  You should also be able to see that on the Audio display [Menu][Audio].  The waveform will be flat on top denoting clipping.
View Quote
For this to work you need to make sure compression is off. I usually run about 3, doesn't make you sound funny but drive the radio harder. You see that as more alc indication, if you are trying to set mic gain with comp active you'll end up setting it really low.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
In the same vein, I had to drive my audio settings higher toward the ALC limits with my 7300 or I wasn't being heard. Once set, I was being heard with good audio reports.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
When you say a lot of ALC does that mean when it turns red and goes over 50% on the scale?

Also when looking at the audio scope what db level should you be looking for flat spot on?  0db level has flat spots on static.  -10bd it's not hard to get flat spots (at least how I have mine setup) at -20 it looks good, and would have to shout into the mic for flat spots.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been trying to dedicate time to watching videos dedicated to the IC-7300, but haven't gotten around to watching much.

I have heard a guy on 20M that calls himself "The Radio Man" (or maybe it's "guy".) You tell him your radio model and he walks you through steps to get yours sounding great -- to his ears anyway. I've never been able to get a QSO with him, as he always has a big line of guys waiting to talk to him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This question is about whether a radio setting helps one be heard on the other (receiving) end. I just saw a video describing the "AF Output Level". It is described starting at about 2:00 in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGzEBwFaRJo

The 7300 comes from the factory with AF Output Level set at 50%. Tom, in the video, sets his to 100%. Does this actually affect the level of audio sent out during transmitting?

Also, the compression setting on the microphone can be adjusted per the manual, page 4-12, to get a more uniformly loud voice, when transmitting. I intend to make that adjustment as soon as I get a chance.

View Quote

The guy who did that video has 46 other IC7300 educational videos. I think I got through 18 of them, then got busy. Need to finish going through them, the ones I watched were very helpful. Glad you reminded me about these!

His Youtube name is "HamCuredSmoke" just look at his main page and find the IC7300 A to Z series.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HamCuredSmoke/videos

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When you say a lot of ALC does that mean when it turns red and goes over 50% on the scale?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, that would be a lot.  I think the manual says not to exceed 20% of the scale.  A little bit of ALC is ok otherwise you aren't getting the power of the voice peaks.  Plus you have to remember that you won't speak at the same volume all the time.  When you're relaxed and just rag chewing with friends you'll normally speak lower than if you are trying to break a pileup.  Also, as Nmbmxer noted, you need to make sure compression is at zero since it will have a dramatic affect on the ALC level.

Also when looking at the audio scope what db level should you be looking for flat spot on?  0db level has flat spots on static.  -10bd it's not hard to get flat spots (at least how I have mine setup) at -20 it looks good, and would have to shout into the mic for flat spots.

At low values you aren't seeing the audio flat-topping, you're seeing it run off the display and only seeing part of the waveform.  If you are hitting the top line of the graph then a flat top doesn't count.  I run mine at -30db and normal speech only peaks on the graph one line in from the top and bottom.  I also prefer a slow scan rate and usually run at 1ms per division even though I can't see entire words.  I have to go to about 100 ms per division to see word "Blobs".

Actually, now that I've played with this a bit more it's hard to make this radio flat-top.  I ran the mic gain to 100% and the compression to 10 and it still didn't show any clipping, presumably because at the same time the ALC circuit is reducing the audio level to prevent it from clipping.  It would be interesting to see what the audio looks like on someone else's radio that is receiving the actual transmitted signal.

You can also do these tests with the RF power set to zero so you aren't transmitting anything.  The scope doesn't show the transmitted RF, it's showing the output of the audio section so it doesn't matter what the RF power is set to.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I followed the manual procedure for adjusting the mic gain and then the compression. (Pages 33 & 46) We will see what contacts think of my signal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The guy who did that video has 46 other IC7300 educational videos. I think I got through 18 of them, then got busy. Need to finish going through them, the ones I watched were very helpful. Glad you reminded me about these!

His Youtube name is "HamCuredSmoke" just look at his main page and find the IC7300 A to Z series.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HamCuredSmoke/videos

View Quote

Yeah, his videos are about the best I have found to date. This is the playlist of all his IC-7300 videos: 7300 Video Playlist

Another guy who does decent videos is Dave Casler. He has some 7300 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidCasler/search?query=7300
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I used these videos and they helped me out.

Icom 7300: How to Properly Set Mic Gain

Icom 7300: How To Set PILEUP BUSTING Audio

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGzEBwFaRJo

View Quote
I  used an IC-7300 for  about a year  as Net Control operator: The stock microphone  works VERY well on these radios.

...I had very good success , and consistent great audio reports with MIC gain  settings between 25% and 30% . ... The default setting (50%) will bring  ALC in  and  cut your power output back somewhat... ( yeah, I know, sounds backwards, you go ahead and do what you want ) ...

Compression  setting at  2 or 3  worked well for me, and was  indistinguishable to  my listeners./
Again, I run net control for several HF nets and spend a fair bit of time  calling roll, taking check-ins, and communicate  regularly wih a  large number of people, many of whom have  compromised or improvised  battery powered stations, end fed antennas, etc.  

...........The little   '7300  REALLY has great  transmit audio with stock mic,  for an inexpensive HF rig, I think that is the thing I  was most impressed  by.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been trying to dedicate time to watching videos dedicated to the IC-7300, but haven't gotten around to watching much.

I have heard a guy on 20M that calls himself "The Radio Man" (or maybe it's "guy".) You tell him your radio model and he walks you through steps to get yours sounding great -- to his ears anyway. I've never been able to get a QSO with him, as he always has a big line of guys waiting to talk to him.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure you’re  talking about KA5DOB Jimmie. He was an audio engineer at a radio station if I remember it right.
He helped setup my 7300 last October.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure you’re  talking about KA5DOB Jimmie. He was an audio engineer at a radio station if I remember it right.
View Quote

Yep, that's him!
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, his videos are about the best I have found to date. This is the playlist of all his IC-7300 videos: 7300 Video Playlist

Another guy who does decent videos is Dave Casler. He has some 7300 videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidCasler/search?query=7300
View Quote

That makes it easier - thanks for the list link. And the extra videos as well. My wife just got her General so this will help her learn the radio as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've wanted to try and talk to him, but every time I heard him he was down in the Extra freqs. He lives in Alamogordo NM. I did most of my childhood there so would like to make the connection.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've wanted to try and talk to him, but every time I heard him he was down in the Extra freqs. He lives in Alamogordo NM. I did most of my childhood there so would like to make the connection.
View Quote

Anyone looking for some tuning, Jimmie is on 14.336 right now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone else had an issue with the clock on the 7300?

I've listened to WWV's time signal to set the clock on my 7300.  If I go back 24 hours later to re-check the time, the Icom will be 10+ seconds fast, every time, and I've checked several times.

All I've found with my weak Google-fu is an issue with the clock battery failing if the 7300 is left unpowered for extended periods.  Mine is connected to battery power 24/7, so probably not the issue.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've listened to WWV's time signal to set the clock on my 7300.  If I go back 24 hours later to re-check the time, the Icom will be 10+ seconds fast, every time, and I've checked several times.

All I've found with my weak Google-fu is an issue with the clock battery failing if the 7300 is left unpowered for extended periods.  Mine is connected to battery power 24/7, so probably not the issue.
View Quote

Not me.  I seldom use it but I set it a couple of months ago and when I checked just now it was 4 seconds slow.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not me.  I seldom use it but I set it a couple of months ago and when I checked just now it was 4 seconds slow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About the same for my 7300.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I set the clock on my 7300 when I first fired it up after unboxing. When I power it off, the DC power supply is also turned off, so it must have a little internal battery to keep the time.

Unrelated:

I am finding that I sometimes like using the little buttons on the top of the OEM mic to crawl through a band, as they move you 1 kHz for each click.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I set the clock on my 7300 when I first fired it up after unboxing. When I power it off, the DC power supply is also turned off, so it must have a little internal battery to keep the time.

Urelated:

I am finding that I sometimes like using the little buttons on the top of the OEM mic to crawl through a band, as they move you 1 kHz for each click.
View Quote
Yes, it does.  Keeps time, memory settings, etc. in place.

I think mine might have an issue with a timing IC or something on the motherboard(???).  Wondering if the fast clock will cause problems with Data/RTTY modes (haven't set up for that, yet).

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the clock timer is separate from the operating functions.  It is used to time stamp recorded messages off the air.
Rob
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I contacted Icom about it and this was the reply,

Thank you for contacting Icom America.

I am sorry but there is no clock adjustment on the radio that is user accessible. Though data mode software generally uses the PC's clock for time related functions since the radios RTC is not accessible by software. You can if you like send the radio in to one of our service centers to have the radios clock checked/adjusted.
View Quote

A clock running 10+ seconds fast in 24 hours is nuts, but I have no idea how long I'd be without the radio if I sent it for repair, so I'll wait for now and just reset the clock when I turn it on.  Sigh.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I contacted Icom about it and this was the reply,

A clock running 10+ seconds fast in 24 hours is nuts, but I have no idea how long I'd be without the radio if I sent it for repair, so I'll wait for now and just reset the clock when I turn it on.  Sigh.

View Quote

Are you saying that it is always 10 seconds ahead of WWV, or that it GAINS 10 seconds every day (Monday = WWV+:10, Tuesday =  WWV+:20, Wednesday = WWV+:30, etc.)?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you saying that it is always 10 seconds ahead of WWV, or that it GAINS 10 seconds every day (Monday = WWV+:10, Tuesday =  WWV+:20, Wednesday = WWV+:30, etc.)?
View Quote
It gains 10-13 seconds every day if I don't reset, so, yeah, Monday+10, Tuesday+20, etc., as you say.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It gains 10-13 seconds every day if I don't reset, so, yeah, Monday+10, Tuesday+20, etc., as you say.
View Quote

That's a bummer. Sounds like a warranty repair to me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#30]
It took a little over 2wks for Icom America in Washington to fix my 7100 when I sent it back and it cost me $50 to ship it from the UPS store which sucked.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm starting a 2-week vacation, my first in 2+ years, on the 20th.  Field Day is the 25th-26th.  About 2.5 hours drive from here is (from what I remember) a nice little campground next to a beautiful little lake filled with rainbow and brook trout.

I've got a tent, the 7300, a Sage 4-weight fly rod and a box of flies....

The clock issue can wait.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Just a thought here buuuut for the guy with the slow clock....

How is your DC voltage going in to the radio?  Is it precisely 14 volts?

ETA:  I have absolutely no idea about clock circuits like this so i'm completely shooting in the dark.  I know AC clocks sometimes use line freq for reference, but obv that doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#34]
So much in this thread should be applicable to the ic705 right?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just a thought here buuuut for the guy with the slow clock....

How is your DC voltage going in to the radio?  Is it precisely 14 volts?

ETA:  I have absolutely no idea about clock circuits like this so i'm completely shooting in the dark.  I know AC clocks sometimes use line freq for reference, but obv that doesn't apply.
View Quote

99.9% of the time the clock in just about any electronic device is driven by a 32.768KHz crystal. They have varying specs, but really drifty clocks are usually because of an issue with the loading (or very rarely, trim) capacitors. It's possible he's just unlucky and got a bad crystal, but I'd bet one of the SMD capacitors tombstoned during soldering or some other similar glitch.

They are temperature sensitive but typically are after the voltage regulator so you're not going to have any supply voltage correlated drift.

A fairly generic spec is 20 or 30ppm at most, which is drift of 1.7 to 2.6 seconds per day. 10 seconds/day is pretty is far out of whack -- that's about 120 ppm error and it's fair to call that a broken clock.

If you take their time characterizing the final design and selecting the right load caps when building the RTC, you'll end up way inside the spec, like +/- 5ppm or under a half a second per day. The real pros like Maxim(Dallas) can deliver better than +/-2 ppm (under 200 milliseconds per day) on their best designs.

I'd expect an Icom to deliver at least the baseline 20ppm accuracy most RTCs are capable of.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to reset the time on my 7300 because the clock just runs off.

But it isn't used for anything other than reading the time with your eyes, so I just don't look at it.

It doesn't use it for built in RTTY and digital modes with a computer uses the computer time.

The clock  just isn't needed and doesn't do anything that I am aware of except give a time read out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#37]
The 7300 has a clock???
Seriously, I'd been using mine for maybe a couple of months before I noticed it.

Mine gains time, but I turn the power supply off and unplut it when it's not being used.
If it's off for more than a couple of days, the clock resets to 0000 when it's powered back up.
There may not be a battery for that clock, just a large capacitor.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Mine hasn't been changed since I got it a couple years ago and it's still within 30 seconds accurate.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm not too worried about the clock now that I understand there are no functions that rely on its accuracy.  But it's a brand new radio and it's a bit disappointing to know it's not 'perfect' right out of the box, especially since I haven't even received my $100 rebate yet (which I'll probably have to use to ship the radio to the repair shop! ).

I only use the clock to note the UTC times of QSOs as I don't have a 'station clock' at the moment.  It's on the list.  Been eyeing a couple of DIY clock kits.

There's always the clock on the microwave oven.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not too worried about the clock now that I understand there are no functions that rely on its accuracy.  But it's a brand new radio and it's a bit disappointing to know it's not 'perfect' right out of the box, especially since I haven't even received my $100 rebate yet (which I'll probably have to use to ship the radio to the repair shop! ).

I only use the clock to note the UTC times of QSOs as I don't have a 'station clock' at the moment.  It's on the list.  Been eyeing a couple of DIY clock kits.

There's always the clock on the microwave oven.  
View Quote

Yes, it is disappointing. (Long shot) Did you get it a brick and mortar store that you can bring it back to? No Icom service places within driving distance?
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The 7300 has a clock???
Seriously, I'd been using mine for maybe a couple of months before I noticed it.

Mine gains time, but I turn the power supply off and unplut it when it's not being used.
If it's off for more than a couple of days, the clock resets to 0000 when it's powered back up.
There may not be a battery for that clock, just a large capacitor.
View Quote

weird, I go weeks with the power supply off and it has never reset to zero.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, it is disappointing. (Long shot) Did you get it a brick and mortar store that you can bring it back to? No Icom service places within driving distance?
View Quote
Bought online from HRO, shipped from their Portland store.  Nearest service center is Kirkland which is a 3+ hour drive, and they're not accepting walk-ins because of Biden's Blight.

Link Posted: 6/11/2021 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I only use the clock to note the UTC times of QSOs as I don't have a 'station clock' at the moment.
View Quote

The logging software I use has a UTC clock.

https://www.n3fjp.com/aclog.html
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#44]
The headphone jack on my 7300 has an intermittent short, been that way since new. I just use the speaker jack on the back rather than send it in for repair. Once the warranty expires I’ll fix it myself.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Just a bump to add a link to some really cool 7300 accessories.

https://portablezerostore.ecwid.com/#

Stuff like this:
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You people are spending my paycheck. Stop it!
View Quote

My wallet feels your pain.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I had to put myself on a hobby spending moratorium.   I am burning my vacation leave credits before being officially retired.  Having the time off I was spending way too freely on radio and RC hobby stuff.  

About to go on the reduced pension amount so I need to curb it!  No amp or tuner this year.  A home made dipole is my limit for now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had to put myself on a hobby spending moratorium.   I am burning my vacation leave credits before being officially retired.  Having the time off I was spending way too freely on radio and RC hobby stuff.  

About to go on the reduced pension amount so I need to curb it!  No amp or tuner this year.  A home made dipole is my limit for now.
View Quote

I hear you on keeping the spending in check. Am deliberately tying to work with my initial set-up and go slow to avoid "gear acquisition syndrome", in order to keep my finances where they need to be.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just a bump to add a link to some really cool 7300 accessories.

https://portablezerostore.ecwid.com/#

Stuff like this:
https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.net/images/7671222/1003848934.jpg
View Quote

My Portable Zero order arrived yesterday, and I installed the side pieces. The pieces were quite nicely made. All edges and corners were rounded off, and there were no burrs or anything like that. The powdercoat appears evenly applied, as far as I can tell. Most surprising was that the holes through which the mounting screws go, lined up perfectly with the receiving holes in the 7300. When the screws are put through (there is also a rubber washer between the guard and the 7300) there is no slop, nor do you need to apply any force to get the screw to where the threads catch. I also got the clip-on handle. Setting aside the notion of need for these things on a base station, these are high quality parts.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top