Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2022 1:06:29 PM EDT
Heading to Telluride CO in a few weeks for a wedding.  Pulling a 22ft single axle toy hauler TT, behind a Sierra 1500 5.3L

Last year we trekked out to Bend Oregon, Wyoming, Idaho for some top notch two wheeled adventures.  Most of 80 was in pretty nice shape, except for Iowa and Illinois.  

Curious if anyone has a preference between the 2 while towing?  Haven't spent any time trekking across 70 in a good 10 years.  Thinking about taking a different route than last year for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it just for a change of scenery.  You could take 69 south to Indy, then pick up 70 west.  70 goes right past the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.

Possible downside - 70 goes through major cities like St. Louis and Kansas City.  So if you prefer rural interstates when towing, stick with 80.

80 is generally heavier on truck traffic.  It's been a while, but the last time I went to Colorado, I took 80 then picked up 76 towards Denver at the CO/NE state line.  76 was absolutely horrible - felt like it was gonna shake my rig apart.  Was towing a 35-foot 8600-lb travel trailer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take it just for a change of scenery.  You could take 69 south to Indy, then pick up 70 west.  70 goes right past the Gateway Arch in St. Louis.

Possible downside - 70 goes through major cities like St. Louis and Kansas City.  So if you prefer rural interstates when towing, stick with 80.

80 is generally heavier on truck traffic.  It's been a while, but the last time I went to Colorado, I took 80 then picked up 76 towards Denver at the CO/NE state line.  76 was absolutely horrible - felt like it was gonna shake my rig apart.  Was towing a 35-foot 8600-lb travel trailer.
View Quote

I-76 sucks ass and it getting worse.
This is Highway 14 outside of Sterling so stay away from it.

I’d rather travel on I-80 but I don’t go quite as far away as you are OP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are boring.  I'd think you'd save time on I80.  Higher speed limit on I80, I think.  Isn't Nebraska now 80 mph?  I guess that may not matter if you are towing.  I80 may be a bit hotter, but also drier than I70 through KS.  

Maybe go out one way, and back a different way?

Enjoy To-Hell-U-Ride!  Such a pretty place.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I-76 sucks ass and it getting worse. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476557/F053190E-FFB3-4D87-B63F-2464B6A81CA1-2416898.jpg
This is Highway 14 outside of Sterling so stay away from it.

I’d rather travel on I-80 but I don’t go quite as far away as you are OP.
View Quote

That doesn't even look like a paved road...yikes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, my main goal is to preserve the camper.  Not like these things are built to withstand significant abuse.  

I'd probably prefer the more rural route, simply because my stress levels fair much better when I'm not surrounded by idiots who have no regard for trucks/trailers.  

Just didn't know if I was missing out on anything cool along 70.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I-70 in Indianapolis is under construction and there is a detour around the city. Just Drove from Eastern Ohio to St. Louis on it. West bound seemed to have a lot construction delay too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I70 through St Louis sucks and Kansas City ain't much better, bypass them if you can. Otherwise I70 is flat and very boring. Lots of windmill to look at once you hit Kansas though. I recently did a long stretch of I80 but can't remember much about it. I guess that is good if you want a nice boring highway part of your road trip (I did, I hate highways but damn it, they are usually the fastest route).
Traffic on both highways will be hauling ass. Be prepared to get passed regularly. Gas stops (truck stops) are common and regular. Same with places to eat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
We took I70 from Indy to Missouri last month.  There's construction on I70 by IN/IL border, we didn't get stuck in any traffic but it's bumpy from patching.  We took the bypass around St Louis, which had construction on it as well, but it moved quick.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top