Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2022 11:43:14 AM EDT
Specifically, canned Spam and its knock-offs, and canned corned beef.

I think that the best of the Spam flavors and clones is plain old original Classic Spam. Seems to last longer than others, too, especially those with less sodium. And if you boil the slices for a few minutes before you fry them, you can dramatically reduce the sodium before you eat it.

A lot of the clones contain "mechanically separated meat". "Mechanical separation" is the process of sending leftover carcasses through grinders, then forcing the resultant slurry through sieves under great pressure.

In other words, "mechanically separated meat" is a puree of bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and other scraps - a  blend of tissues you would not consider meat if you saw it in its raw form.

Original Spam has only six ingredients - pork shoulder, water, potato starch, salt, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

The moral of the story is to read the labels.

The potato starch is to absorb some of the unappealing gelatin that floats around in the can because of the cooking process.

The sodium nitrite blocks the growth of bacteria and makes Spam pink - it would be gray without it.

Even better than Spam to my taste is canned corn beef.

I taste-tested a bunch of brands, and liked Libby's best. And it has even fewer ingredients than Spam - "Cooked beef, salt, sugar, sodium nitrite".

Link Posted: 7/7/2022 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  I will give boiling the spam before frying it a try.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree on both.  Like above, I'll have to try boiling, as I do with hot dogs occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The boiling is going to be worth a try. Spam is way to salty for me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't forget to slice it first.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I love fried spam but my Dr convinced me to avoid pork.
Is there a beef version?
And puree of bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and other scraps is where the true nutrition is found.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same. The only way I could enjoy it was diced and mixed in with scrambled eggs and/or potatoes to dilute the salt.

Then someone told me to boil the slices first. Makes a huge difference.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, drop the slices in, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit in the water for another 3-5 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That's funny.  I never noticed it being less salty after being boiled.  I cube it up and boil it in the water for mac & cheese.  Otherwise I cube it up and use the air fryer to crisp it up.  May have to try boiling, then air frying to get the salt content down.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So far, the best Spam I've eaten is the "Bacon" Spam. I haven't tried the Chorizo Spam yet. I suspect the chorizo would overpower the taste of the rest of the meat in the Spam.

Spam and scrambled eggs is quite good. It works well because you'd normally salt your eggs anyway so the Spam does that for you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love fried spam but my Dr convinced me to avoid pork.
Is there a beef version?
And puree of bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and other scraps is where the true nutrition is found.
View Quote

I’ve seen turkey.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Could maybe use the "broth" left over from boiling it for making a batch of pinto beans?

I typically add a small can of ham to my beans to give them some extra flavor anyway - could maybe use this instead.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Be careful of how much sodium nitrites and nitrates that you're eating. It's been associated with higher rates of certain types of cancer

https://progressreport.cancer.gov/prevention/nitrate
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
So basically pink slime food
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#13]
This stuff is really good.
Picked up a bunch for potential ????

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So basically pink slime food
View Quote

Soylent Pink.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried some nasty canned "loaf" from dollar 25 tree. It tasted like the essence of dried dog food and I spit it out. Keep in mind I'm fine with spam, luncheon loaf and corned beef but this was too far down the deep end for human consumption.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Just curious, was DAK one of those tested?
Maybe a little more expensive by weight, but not much.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#17]
The only time I had Spam was for breakfast with eggs over rice. It was amazing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This stuff is really good.
Picked up a bunch for potential ????

https://i.imgur.com/6Q9nkwY.jpg
View Quote

The Keystone beef is really good over rice.  I've hade it a couple of times and find it to be just fine, especially with a little seasoning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Teriyaki flavor SPAM is best SPAM. Can find it around here anymore.

Take a slice of regular spam, dip both sides in brown sugar, then pan fry.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Copy and pasted from my post in GD.  Relevant here too!

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice!
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
How Factories Produce Canned Meat | How It's Made
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]

As curious as I am, as someone who doesn't have reliable refrigeration for fresh meats I am going to have to pass on clicking play
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As curious as I am, as someone who doesn't have reliable refrigeration for fresh meats I am going to have to pass on clicking play
View Quote

Its all good, nothing bad in the How its Made segment. It shows how Keystone's meat is canned.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Pretty damn neat, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]
As someone posted earlier, stay away from most canned “Luncheon Loaf”.  Some of its not too bad but it is canned Bologna and not ham.  It seems a lot of folks miss out on an economical and superior tasting canned ham labeled as “Luncheon Meat”.  It is canned ham but for some reason they don’t label it as such.  It’s generally no where near as salty nor expensive as Spam.

Many grocery stores have their store brand “Luncheon Meat”.  I like the Kroger and Brookshires brand but it’s not always on the shelves.  The most available to me is the Dollar General/Clover Valley brand.

It fries up well and is really close to bacon when fried crisp.  I use it for seasoning beans and lentils frequently.  Pretty much anything you need more fat and protein in will benefit from this product.  I stack it deep.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Is potted meat any worse or better ? It's a decent snack with crackers but it's salty as hell.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is potted meat any worse or better ? It's a decent snack with crackers but it's salty as hell.
View Quote
Read the ingredients label.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Be careful of how much sodium nitrites and nitrates that you're eating. It's been associated with higher rates of certain types of cancer

https://progressreport.cancer.gov/prevention/nitrate
View Quote

And migraines!
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I recently bought (but haven't installed yet) a conversion kit to switch my genny to run on the 1000 gal propane tank I got to run the new gas stove-top I installed.

The reason I mention it is that, should shit really go south, rather than using the genny to run fridges/freezers, I'll probably pressure-can most of the meat in our freezers (even though I hate canned meat!) and keep the fuel to power the well-pump, lights and comms; stuff like that.

I've also thought about smoking, but I'm afraid that would bring every hungry soul within 100 miles to our doorstep!

Come at me bro! Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#31]
They Keystone beef, is a staple around our house.  We use in in a number of things.  

It makes a hell of a cheese dip.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They Keystone beef, is a staple around our house.  We use in in a number of things.  

It makes a hell of a cheese dip.
View Quote

You should post up some recipes.  We've got a bunch stockpiled that we need to start rotating out, and up till now haven't really used in in our "normal" diet.  (I know, I know, stock what you eat...)
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Something to consider on the salt factor, is during difficult times there may be no AC and you may be doing a lot more manual labor than normal.  That extra salt may come in handy during those times when you're sweating a lot more than normal.

Although i do like the boiling idea for normal times.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Fried Spam, sliced thin, makes a heckuva sandwich.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Spam Musubi is one of my favorite treats, I make it at home sometimes. I appreciate the tip about boiling the slices first, I'll have to try that.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/616626BE-BDCE-4A39-A5F1-E18D26F6C564-1414072.jpg
View Quote
What's the purpose of boiling?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As someone posted earlier, stay away from most canned “Luncheon Loaf”.  Some of its not too bad but it is canned Bologna and not ham.  It seems a lot of folks miss out on an economical and superior tasting canned ham labeled as “Luncheon Meat”.  It is canned ham but for some reason they don’t label it as such.  It’s generally no where near as salty nor expensive as Spam.

Many grocery stores have their store brand “Luncheon Meat”.  I like the Kroger and Brookshires brand but it’s not always on the shelves.  The most available to me is the Dollar General/Clover Valley brand.

It fries up well and is really close to bacon when fried crisp.  I use it for seasoning beans and lentils frequently.  Pretty much anything you need more fat and protein in will benefit from this product.  I stack it deep.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/553621/08C74382-7220-4E3D-B22D-95F0481B0119_jpe-2474214.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/553621/48D2EF67-A5F3-4024-A62E-6C8632B2CEDA_jpe-2474215.JPG
View Quote

Treet is actually cheaper than any store brand around here, almost half the cost.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Spam Musubi is one of my favorite treats, I make it at home sometimes. I appreciate the tip about boiling the slices first, I’ll have to try that.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/616626BE-BDCE-4A39-A5F1-E18D26F6C564-1414072.jpg
View Quote

That looks really good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think that the best of the Spam flavors and clones is plain old original Classic Spam. Seems to last longer than others, too, especially those with less sodium. And if you boil the slices for a few minutes before you fry them, you can dramatically reduce the sodium before you eat it.

A lot of the clones contain "mechanically separated meat". "Mechanical separation" is the process of sending leftover carcasses through grinders, then forcing the resultant slurry through sieves under great pressure.

In other words, "mechanically separated meat" is a puree of bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and other scraps - a  blend of tissues you would not consider meat if you saw it in its raw form.

Original Spam has only six ingredients - pork shoulder, water, potato starch, salt, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

The potato starch is to absorb some of the unappealing gelatin that floats around in the can because of the cooking process.

The sodium nitrite blocks the growth of bacteria and makes Spam pink - it would be gray without it.

I taste-tested a bunch of brands, and liked Libby's best. And it has even fewer ingredients than Spam - "Cooked beef, salt, sugar, sodium nitrite".

View Quote

None of this true.  Mechanically separated meat is meat which is separated from it's bones by mechanical means.  It contains no bone, bone marrow, or skin.  It does contain blood vessels and nerves, but to no greater extent than any other piece of meat does (at least in the US.  Shitholes gonna shithole.)
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#43]
"puree of bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and other scraps"
Mmmm, puree.
Did you hear it in Homer Simpson's voice?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

None of this true.  Mechanically separated meat is meat which is separated from it's bones by mechanical means.  It contains no bone, bone marrow, or skin.  It does contain blood vessels and nerves, but to no greater extent than any other piece of meat does (at least in the US.  Shitholes gonna shithole.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the USDA's website:

"Mechanically separated meat is a paste-like and batter-like meat product produced by forcing bones, with attached edible meat, under high pressure through a sieve..."

From Wikipedia:

"Mechanically separated meat (MSM)... is a paste-like meat product... It is sometimes called white slime... The process entails pureeing or grinding the carcass left after the manual removal of meat from the bones and then forcing the slurry through a sieve under pressure. This puree includes bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and the scraps of meat remaining on the bones. The resulting product is a blend primarily consisting of tissues not generally considered meat..."
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
From the USDA's website:

"Mechanically separated meat is a paste-like and batter-like meat product produced by forcing bones, with attached edible meat, under high pressure through a sieve..."

From Wikipedia:

"Mechanically separated meat (MSM)... is a paste-like meat product... It is sometimes called white slime... The process entails pureeing or grinding the carcass left after the manual removal of meat from the bones and then forcing the slurry through a sieve under pressure. This puree includes bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and the scraps of meat remaining on the bones. The resulting product is a blend primarily consisting of tissues not generally considered meat..."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the USDA's website:

From Wikipedia:

Lol you must work for the media.  Let's get that whole quote from the USDA site:

Mechanically separated meat is a paste-like and batter-like meat product produced by forcing bones, with attached edible meat, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue.
COMMENT Removed - Taft

ETA:
The standard method for determination of bone content of mechanically separated meat requires 12 h of incubation, uses carbon tetrachloride and acetone and does not completely digest connective tissue. Incubation before autoclaving and using a combination of enzymes (papain, bromelain and ficin) gave comparable digestion of soft tissue without affecting the total bone fragments collected. Total bone from samples incubated after and before autoclaving was 5.39   0.55 and 6.20   0.35%, respectively. The total amount of bone fragments collected was 6.00   0.34% after washing with carbon tetrachloride and acetone, and 6.65   0.38% after washing with water. The total amount of bone fragments collected after incubation for 2 h was numerically greater (values ranged from 7.35   0.94 to 8.92   0.31%) than when using the standard method (6.78   0.47). The procedure has a coefficient of variation of 14.8%.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll try boiling as well.  Local Rose's has Prem which I like better than spam.  Canadian version of spam I think  Best of all a buck a can.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Spam Musubi is one of my favorite treats, I make it at home sometimes. I appreciate the tip about boiling the slices first, I’ll have to try that.
View Quote

If you use the 25% less sodium (I get at COSTCO), you dont have to boil.  Part of what makes Spam Masubi so good is the combination of salty (Spam)/sweet (sugar/soy mix) that you glaze it with and the sourness from the mirin in the rice.  If you throw in some Furikake seasoning on the rice, it really elevates the Masubi.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you use the 25% less sodium (I get at COSTCO), you dont have to boil.  Part of what makes Spam Masubi so good is the combination of salty (Spam)/sweet (sugar/soy mix) that you glaze it with and the sourness from the mirin in the rice.  If you throw in some Furikake seasoning on the rice, it really elevates the Masubi.

View Quote
Unfortunately, "25% less sodium" Spam isn't just Spam Classic with less sodium. Its ingredients are "Pork With Ham, Mechanically Separated Chicken, Water, Salt, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Nitrite".

"Mechanically Separated Chicken" is the benign-sounding name for leftover chicken carcasses that are ground, bones and all, into a paste which is then forced through a sieve under very high pressure. After that, it's treated with ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent. You've probably heard of the "pink slime" that goes into hotdogs. This is called "white slime". The FDA defines it as "edible tissue", but you probably wouldn't if you saw it in its natural state.

Both Spam Classic and 25% less sodium Spam contain sodium nitrate, but 25% less sodium Spam also contains sodium phosphates and potassium chloride. Those ingredients also might be worth reading about.

The moral of the story is to, 1), read the ingredients label, and 2), be aware of the innocuous names the FDA and marketers give to really unpleasant substances.  

Interesting aside: “lean finely textured beef” is another ingredient you'll often see on labels that is not at all what it sounds like.

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'll try boiling as well.  Local Rose's has Prem which I like better than spam.  Canadian version of spam I think  Best of all a buck a can.
View Quote
Ingredients of Prem Luncheon Meat: "Pork, Mechanically Separated Chicken, Water, Potato Starch, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Nitrate.

Bottom line: Spam Classic is really salty, but otherwise it's not an unhealthy, preservative-laced mash-up of butchering by-products. Most of the wannabes are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top