Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2021 6:11:25 PM EDT
I wish someone made a submersible HT with analog/digital true dual VFOs with a jack on the top for PTT.

I someone made a purpose built man portable HF rig with better connections for antenna and power and weather resistance.

Please somebody take my money!!!

Okay I'm done.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Stuff you want*

We all want different things.  I don't have a burning desire for those things but then again I'm fairly used to being odd man out.

Companies are in it to make a profit.  It is possible that they don't understand their market or that they can't turn a buck making what you want at a price point that meets their targeted margins.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
All about demand, and margins.  Chinese radios are taking over in this area because they offer more for less.

Big 3 can't compete.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that the big three care about selling radios in Japan, the fact they can sell them other places is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
OP sounds like he is looking the the TRI AN/PRC-152.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
pretty sure everyone wants a 7300 since that's 90% of what people are running out there it seems.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think that the big three care about selling radios in Japan, the fact they can sell them other places is icing on the cake.
View Quote

Agreed, I think we are very much a secondary market for them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
pretty sure everyone wants a 7300 since that's 90% of what people are running out there it seems.
View Quote

For a shack HF rig absolutely... great radio and great value.  I'm referring to field stuff, I should have been more clear.  And obviously I wasn't referring to all hams as the hobby is vast and lots of guys never leave their shacks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

At looked at these, but am put off by the fact that they are basically a Chinese counterfeit of the Harris with Baofeng guts.  I have had several Baofengs either go TU or develop issues that make them unusable.  And yes of course there are some Baofengs that have held up great but the ratio is garbage.

Also, how clean is the TX?  Anyone run a spectrum purity test on one of these?

Finally, I want some type of digital modulation for OPSEC.  I don't want every person with a $20 Chinese radio listening to me.  Do these have digital modulation?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:... are basically a Chinese counterfeit of the Harris with Baofeng guts.  .

Finally, I want some type of digital modulation for OPSEC.  I don't want every person with a $20 Chinese radio listening to me.  Do these have digital modulation?

Thanks.
View Quote

Yep those TRI AN/PRC-152 BAOFENFS are for airsoft LARP'ers

.....but there is no "OPSEC" on ham radio.

There is little to no HF portable market, because it's not an efficient way to make contacts.

when the sunshots are really high, and you have a saltwater ocean groundplane, and the other station has a good antenna and good propagation, yes.....but typically, nobody is going to hear you.

HF starts with a 100watts, and a G5RV 30ft up
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

At looked at these, but am put off by the fact that they are basically a Chinese counterfeit of the Harris with Baofeng guts.  I have had several Baofengs either go TU or develop issues that make them unusable.  And yes of course there are some Baofengs that have held up great but the ratio is garbage.

Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I've looked at those, they say "voiceencryption, but not what kind or how it works, maybe simple voice inversion, they're only analog, so couldn't be that good.

400+ bucks for a simple analog ht that yes, happens to be very tough and submersible, is still not worth it.  And they're huge, clunky and heavy,  not sure how safe it'd ever be putting out 10 watts near your body or head.

5 watts with a great antenna trumps 10 watts with a short duck.

Better radios for way less are capable of encryption.  TYT 380/390 series are 128 bit capable, Anytone 878 and others out there are genuinely AES256, which is better.  All for WAY less than the clunky MBITR clones.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone needs to make an affordable Dstar HT like with DMR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep those TRI AN/PRC-152 BAOFENFS are for airsoft LARP'ers

https://i.imgur.com/1lrUjYy.jpg
.....but there is no "OPSEC" on ham radio.

There is little to no HF portable market, because it's not an efficient way to make contacts.

when the sunshots are really high, and you have a saltwater ocean groundplane, and the other station has a good antenna and good propagation, yes.....but typically, nobody is going to hear you.

HF starts with a 100watts, and a G5RV 30ft up
View Quote

I'm aware of the FCC regulations on concealing the content of your TX for amateur radio, I am simply referring to the additional layer of security your get using digital modulation versus analog.  Of course anyone with a Yaesu or the .gov can hear C4FM/Fusion, but the vast majority of radios I don't want hearing me are Baofengs at this point.  Digital combined with other methods are legal and prevent lots of listening ears from hearing you.

As for the HF rig, I'm not talking about a low power HT.  I mean something the size of a mobile unit but designed more for man portable and less for vehicle mobile.  More rugged/durable, weather resistant, connections made to be hooked and unhooked, etc.  The 705 is moving in that direction but is only 5W/10W which won't do for me.  With the current sun cycle I struggle under 75W.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Then just get dmr HT's and use simplex. The number of guys scanning simplex with a dmr radio are...none... Or get some 220mhz radios.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've looked at those, they say "voiceencryption, but not what kind or how it works, maybe simple voice inversion, they're only analog, so couldn't be that good.

400+ bucks for a simple analog ht that yes, happens to be very tough and submersible, is still not worth it.  And they're huge, clunky and heavy,  not sure how safe it'd ever be putting out 10 watts near your body or head.

Better radios for way less are capable of encryption.  TYT 380/390 series are 128 bit capable, Anytone 878 and others out there are genuinely AES256, which is better.  All for WAY less than the clunky MBITR clones.
View Quote

Interesting...  I'm surprised the FCC allows that.  I guess it's a feature for business use but in theory the radio also can have it enabled for amateur freqs?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Interesting...  I'm surprised the FCC allows that.  I guess it's a feature for business use but in theory the radio also can have it enabled for amateur freqs?
View Quote

The 878's ship in a limited configuration that is stupid simple to get around. That's probably how they're staying out of trouble with the FCC...for now.

And yes, they're capable of transmitting encrypted on amateur frequencies once unlocked.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. It's legally allowed, because radios like this are technically not ham radios, but land mobile radios, meant for commercial applications.

Encryption is legal with a business itinerant license, which some folks here have.  There is a thread with useful info on obtaining one somewhere around here.

The encryption functions are available in the CPS, the programming software used for the radio.

As said above, just the mere fact of being digital, with NO encryption, keeps half of the folks out there from hearing you.  Easy button right there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As for the HF rig, I'm not talking about a low power HT.  I mean something the size of a mobile unit but designed more for man portable and less for vehicle mobile.  More rugged/durable, weather resistant, connections made to be hooked and unhooked, etc.  The 705 is moving in that direction but is only 5W/10W which won't do for me.  With the current sun cycle I struggle under 75W.
View Quote

Even a small 100watt HF rig, like an FT-857, FT-891, manpack'd with a portable whip is a poor choice for making HF contacts.

....that is what I meant.

there is no market for a WX resistant HF manpack in ham radio.

guessing 5-10% of hams are outdoorsmen

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#19]
FT-8900R with SSB please.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the Icom IC-705 and the Elecraft KX-3, but the issue is the power level needs to be a minimum of 30 watts.

I don't need 2M/440, or all the BS that goes with it.

A ham radio built to outdoor standards, weather resistant, HF bands, 30 Watts, a readable screen or display of some works, but small enough to toss in a backpack or an ammo can.

Right now I use an older SGC-2020ADSP which settles down in frequency after about 5 minutes with an LDG autotuner and a Yellow top Optima battery.

It works, you just have to understand, it isn't an up to date radio.

I carry an NVIS antenna for 80/60 and 40 meters.

I am am contemplating a vertical antenna like the Outbacker for my off-road vehicle with a counterpoise wire.

But, something smaller would be nicer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Why not get a true military radio like Codan? It's tough and very capable. You can find a used one for as little as only $15,000. Other brands are available too but don't expect something tough and top quality, at Walmart prices.

The major manufacturers will only make and sell what sells. Majority of the hams want IC-7300 and a Yaesu FT-60. The Big Three manufacturers simply don't have R&D resources to develop radios for the AMATEUR market. I'm honestly surprised they developed and manufactured radios like FT1000, TS-850, FTDX101 that that didn't cost $10,000+. The return on investment is not the best on this market because of the very limited customer base.
Also, don't discount the specifics of Japanese culture. You order steak at a restaurant and they bring you chicken. You just thank them and eat it. This is the reason Elecraft has become so popular with many hams.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry 5EL if it sounds like you're being picked on, but asking for a dual band FM/DMR/P25 radio with big batteries, Milspec case, and encryption for less than $400.00 is whistling in the dark. Besides, digital receivers drain battery power much faster than FM units. Thats why Motorola, Harris, and Thales P25 radios take really big batteries. They also cost $8000.00 plus and you can add software, cables, and plenty more. The amatuer market is for a dweeb size radio that matches cell phone footprints. Nothing you can use with gloves on and no output power on alkaline batteries. If you can live with single band radios, Bendix King has some Federal firefighters radios that fit some of your wishes.

RS
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since the US has roughly twice the number of hams as Japan, I doubt it.

I kind of hear you OP, I look at the IC-705, and wonder how rugged it would be, with the touchscreen and chrome trim and all. That radio built like the 7200 it what should have been. Or a reincarnation of the FT-897...
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I kind of hear you OP, I look at the IC-705, and wonder how rugged it would be, with the touchscreen and chrome trim and all. That radio built like the 7200 it what should have been. Or a reincarnation of the FT-897...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you don't know anything about Japanese manufacturers.

We can either buy the radios they make, or not.

Preppers are nowhere in the market planning for amateur radio manufacturers.

If anyone did make a "prepper spec" radio, it would be far too expensive and would not sell.

The prepper manpack HF fantasy is kinda silly anyway, to get anything useful on HF you're going to have to stop and deploy some reasonable antenna.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd like to see a nice HF QRP SDR radio from Yaesu instead of Xiegu.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like the FT-818? Or what aspect of SDR are you looking for.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#27]
FWIW, I'd love to see Kenwood make a dual band, analog / DMR amateur HT and mobile.  They already make VHF and UHF analog/DMR radios as part of their commercial series, so you figure they would make one in their amateur line?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FWIW, I'd love to see Kenwood make a dual band, analog / DMR amateur HT and mobile.  They already make VHF and UHF analog/DMR radios as part of their commercial series, so you figure they would make one in their amateur line?
View Quote
Kenwood likes amateurs the least of the big three...
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was reading posts from 10 years ago they were getting out of the amateur radio biz...
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 818 is SDR?  I thought it was just a re-vamped 817 with components that can be sourced for another 5 years or so.  

I want an SDR radio with the ability to connect a phone via USB or bluetooth to get a waterfall display with click to tune capability, and the ability to shape your own DSP filters.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOVE my TS-590 and TS-480HX

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted:

The 818 is SDR?  

no

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOVE my TS-590 and TS-480HX

---------------------------------------------------------------------
View Quote
Never said they didn't make nice radios, I have a bunch of them, well none of the $4k+ rigs... Look at their breadth of the products, high end Hf rigs and some mobiles that are long in the tooth and a discontinued HT. They make a zillions of LMR's. I'm really surprised they spend anything on product development, and what they did spent was on a radio that's top of the line - low volume high price.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suspect we don't generate as much in sales or revenue as their commercial line does.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I've given up on hoping the Big Three will do anything Americans seriously want.

I wish for a billion dollars so I can start my own ham radio company.

I know where I can find a great group of hams to test stuff for me.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Then just get dmr HT's and use simplex. The number of guys scanning simplex with a dmr radio are...none... Or get some 220mhz radios.
View Quote

Or get a TH-D74 and do D-Star on 220.

Security thru obscurity is better than no OpSec at all.

If you're in a vehicle you can get an IC-7100 and do D-Star (FM or AM I believe, but check with @brundoggie to be sure) on 6m as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#36]
This is what I think would be an enormous hit and make millions of dollars.

Imagine something like the HS-2 100kHz to 1.7 GHz with SDR waterfall and built in HF tuner.

Attachment Attached File

Now imagine that compressed into the size of this with the same aluminum waterproof rugged body but with a larger FT3DR color touch screen on the front and minimal buttons and the center top knob acts as the dial/channel selector.

Attachment Attached File

Waterproof
Rugged
Large LiIon removable battery
100kHz to 1.7 Ghz
SDR
5 watts
Autotuner

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is what I think would be an enormous hit and make millions of dollars.

Imagine something like the HS-2 100kHz to 1.7 GHz with SDR waterfall and built in HF tuner.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168134/download_jpg-1853350.JPG

Now imagine that compressed into the size of this with the same aluminum waterproof rugged body but with a larger FT3DR color touch screen on the front and minimal buttons and the center top knob acts as the dial/channel selector.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168134/anprc148-3_3_jpg-1853353.JPG

Waterproof
Rugged
Large LiIon removable battery
100kHz to 1.7 Ghz
SDR
5 watts
Autotuner
View Quote

It's not possible, there isn't enough room for the components for an HF auto tuner. Likely not enough room for band select filtering to keep it within spectral purity limits for HF bands.

The target market for that is about 5 preppers, normal amateur operators aren't going to buy an HF radio without a reasonable tuning knob. Take a look at the KX2.

To get type acceptance it'd have to have band filtering for all the amateur bands it can operate on and no TX outside the amateur bands.

There might well be a market for an all-band VHF/UHF radio, but it would be expensive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's not possible, there isn't enough room for the components for an HF auto tuner. Likely not enough room for band select filtering to keep it within spectral purity limits for HF bands.

The target market for that is about 5 preppers, normal amateur operators aren't going to buy an HF radio without a reasonable tuning knob. Take a look at the KX2.

To get type acceptance it'd have to have band filtering for all the amateur bands it can operate on and no TX outside the amateur bands.

There might well be a market for an all-band VHF/UHF radio, but it would be expensive.
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Lab599 Discovery

Quoted:
I wish someone made a submersible HT with analog/digital true dual VFOs with a jack on the top for PTT.

I someone made a purpose built man portable HF rig with better connections for antenna and power and weather resistance.

Okay I'm done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Okay I'm done.

My X5105 is only marginally larger than a PRC.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lab599 Discovery

My X5105 is only marginally larger than a PRC.

View Quote

I watch videos from a guy in Slovakia that uses one of those, and he talks to folks from all over with it. Neat little unit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Fact.

The Discovery and IC-705 are both on my short list.

Quoted:

I watch videos from a guy in Slovakia that uses one of those, and he talks to folks from all over with it. Neat little unit.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top