Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2021 10:23:40 AM EDT
I'd been pretty good, I thought, on my prepping and whatnot. I moved across the country in the Winter of 19/20 and into a tiny apartment. Closed on a house about a week before 'rona shut everything down. I was able to get some rain catchment and food stuff stocked away, but with shortages and work being different the whole prepping thing fell on the back burner.

Read the book over a few flights last week. Holy shit if you haven't read it, you should. Well thought out and the premise seems really feasible, especially now with the random state actors shutting down gas and internet. It's only a matter of time before something bigger or worse comes down the pike.

So after reading there I went back through my food stores, rotated my canned goods, and restocked. I think counting the freezers I could go a year. Assuming I lost everything in the freezers, I believe I'm good for 6 months. Sure wouldn't be happy but would have calories.

A couple of questions that this has raised for me:
1) We're not on any life sustaining meds, but my wife takes Tirosint since she's without a thyroid. Is there a way to order a spare supply of this? We do the 90 days but even then it's tough

2) The book focuses on the survival of one family and the small groups formed and needed after shit goes south. How does one participate in a group of otherwise normal suburban neighbors when you have preps and they don't? I imagine seeing someone not starving to death as quick as you would be tough.

3) what else should I be reading/do/working on? As always I'm working on physical health, learning, stocking up, etc. I will never be self sufficient in the suburbs where I am, and well stocked bug out bunker is certainly in the plans but not happening any time soon.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Get with neighbors and raise their awareness. This is what I am doing. Results may vary.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

1) We're not on any life sustaining meds, but my wife takes Tirosint since she's without a thyroid. Is there a way to order a spare supply of this? We do the 90 days but even then it's tough

View Quote
Thanks for the recommendation.  

I'll tell you how I addressed this question. First, swap from 90 day refills to 30 days.  Most insurance companies allow you to re-fill 5-7 days before the end of the 30 days.  Mine is 7, so I refill my prescription on week 3 of the prescription. I actually put the request in the day before so it's ready for puickup the next day.  That re-starts the clock.  Refill again in 3 weeks. Repeat this cycle. May take a year or so, but I have a years' + of my blood pressure meds.  I started doing it to get an extra months supply in case of a hurricane (I'm in FL), and it just kept going and now I have plenty.  Another trick you can pull (only a few times) is to call insurance or your doctor and say you are planning a trip out of the country for 3 or 4 weeks, and have an early re-fill approved.  I found it easier to just stay on top of re-filling as soon as possible to get an extra weeks worth every 3 weeks.  

Another option (depending on how the drug is classified) is to ask your doctor for a written script when it's time to re-new the subscription. Then use one of those discount Rx companies (GoodRX, etc.) that does not take insurance and you can ask for a 180 day supply.  I don't know how expensive that medication is, though. Then you conveniently call your normal pharmacy and have them call your doctor for a normal re-fill renewal through insurance.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
one of the good points about that book (and the sequel books) is that people on certain medications won't make it long term.  

In addition to talking to your doctor about your concerns, maybe getting your wife in front of new doctors, researching longevity of the medication, and figuring out a way to store the medication so whatever stockpile you have remains effective, the other alternative is "spiritual fitness."  
I don't know if lack of the medication results in death or pain or what, but just be prepared for it if the EMP or FJB goes and nukes the US.

Making associations with friends and other groups is a good idea, but be prepared for them to change their tune when plans for "what if" are actually tested.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It might depend on the mail order pharmacy, but on some of mine and the wife's, I order immediately as soon as it is allowed.  This way, I have been able to build up a year's reserve of each, took a little time, but now maintain a year's reserve.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't usually read the tiny local paper, but the last time I picked it up, the minutes from the last meeting of the local prepper group were in there.

There may be something like that in your area.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd been pretty good, I thought, on my prepping and whatnot. I moved across the country in the Winter of 19/20 and into a tiny apartment. Closed on a house about a week before 'rona shut everything down. I was able to get some rain catchment and food stuff stocked away, but with shortages and work being different the whole prepping thing fell on the back burner.

Read the book over a few flights last week. Holy shit if you haven't read it, you should. Well thought out and the premise seems really feasible, especially now with the random state actors shutting down gas and internet. It's only a matter of time before something bigger or worse comes down the pike.

So after reading there I went back through my food stores, rotated my canned goods, and restocked. I think counting the freezers I could go a year. Assuming I lost everything in the freezers, I believe I'm good for 6 months. Sure wouldn't be happy but would have calories.

2) The book focuses on the survival of one family and the small groups formed and needed after shit goes south. How does one participate in a group of otherwise normal suburban neighbors when you have preps and they don't? I imagine seeing someone not starving to death as quick as you would be tough.

3) what else should I be reading/do/working on? As always I'm working on physical health, learning, stocking up, etc. I will never be self sufficient in the suburbs where I am, and well stocked bug out bunker is certainly in the plans but not happening any time soon.
View Quote

1. Simply tell her doctor you need an extra buffer supply due to concerns with a supply disruption from future covid or other. If they balk, new doc. It's not fucking oxi.

2. Depends on participation level. Generally the suburban neighbors are all pursues with no preps. Start having neighborhood gatherings and feel out a few drop a little hint and see if they pick up on it then move forward in the relationship. It's like flirting leads to dating with the women.

3. Physical health is the most overlooked.  That and a good network.  Best to have a neighborhood alliance of sorts, some close neighbors, some some or near city like minded folks, then some out of state options.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
one of the good points about that book (and the sequel books) is that people on certain medications won't make it long term.  

In addition to talking to your doctor about your concerns, maybe getting your wife in front of new doctors, researching longevity of the medication, and figuring out a way to store the medication so whatever stockpile you have remains effective, the other alternative is "spiritual fitness."  
I don't know if lack of the medication results in death or pain or what, but just be prepared for it if the EMP or FJB goes and nukes the US.

Making associations with friends and other groups is a good idea, but be prepared for them to change their tune when plans for "what if" are actually tested.
View Quote

The military did a long term storage of pill form medicine study. I don't have it handy but basically most shit lasted 10 years although potency was declining if stored cool. If you have no AC or fridge a nice deep but narrow pre dug hole in the ground with air tight tube and moisture absorber in the bottle can help if it's shaded ground. When things are going well AC works etc just keep it cool 70s and dry for most pill meds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get with neighbors and raise their awareness. This is what I am doing. Results may vary.
View Quote

Quoted:
I don't usually read the tiny local paper, but the last time I picked it up, the minutes from the last meeting of the local prepper group were in there.

There may be something like that in your area.
View Quote

We’re new to the neighborhood and in a relatively liberal area. So at my last job I was the founder snd president of a gun club. Here not so much.

I tried bringing stuff up with some neighbors I’ve met but so far no dice. Don’t know where to look, and I imagine googling for local prepper groups basically gets you 10 guys where 8 are feds
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Just remember...every neighbor you bring it up to, but does not get with the program, is another person that will show up at your house.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
start taking note of your liberal neighbors' stuff.  If needed, you will know where to get what
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Lights out is another great read
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget your pups.

I read that book and refused to allow my dogs to starve.

Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The military did a long term storage of pill form medicine study. I don't have it handy but basically most shit lasted 10 years although potency was declining if stored cool. If you have no AC or fridge a nice deep but narrow pre dug hole in the ground with air tight tube and moisture absorber in the bottle can help if it's shaded ground. When things are going well AC works etc just keep it cool 70s and dry for most pill meds.
View Quote

I have land and I am in the planning phase of a very deep cellar.

As I type this my bedroom is 65 degrees and I am sweating and I  honestly wish it was cooler. Outside is 90 right now at 9pm. I wouldn't be able to sleep much more than a few hours because I can't sleep in my own sweat unless I am just to the point of exhaustion. I have before after Katrina but it sucked something bad.

Power goes out I am crawling my ass deep into the ground so I can sleep at least somewhat comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any doctor worth a shit should give you a scrip for at least a year. You could also go to Mexico and get 10 years worth for about $200 bucks, along with antibiotics and any non narco drug you want. Ivermectin is about $1 and available otc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a paper copy of her prescription from her Dr. Let the electronic one continue to be filled via local pharmacy and insurance. Most insurance companies want pay for extra meds. Fill via Canadian pharmacy online and keep the extras in a cool, dry place. This method has worked for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just remember...every neighbor you bring it up to, but does not get with the program, is another person that will show up at your house.
View Quote

This, choose who you talk to wisely.  Those not with the program will come and ask for help at first.  When you don’t give it they will come back and take what they want, possibly with all the other neighbors who turned you down.  If your neighborhood isn’t a good place to build a village of like minded folks, you might want to give more consideration to bugging out than bunkering down...
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Read The Tomorrow War and The Tomorrow War: Serpent Road by J.L. Bourne.  Another prepper type story with a little more military bent.  Not as prepper focused as One Second After, but it is a great story with a prepper/military/anit-gov. storyline.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Built these can rotators for commonly used stuff and it really opened up room in the pantry. Whole thing fits behind the door

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Do you have a source for water?  Stream, lake, spring?  Are you in an area where you can drive a well point?  

Do you have a way to treat water?  A quality backpacking water purifier is simple and inexpensive for short term.  Boiling is always an option, but it doesn't remove chemicals that are present in most metro waterways.

Food?  The sky is the limit, but freeze-dried is simple and easily portable for short term.  Canned vegetables and meats are cheaper and last for years.  Rice and beans are cheap.

First Aid?  Everybody should have Stop The Bleed components in multiple places in addition to traditional FA items.

Start small and work your way up.  Get a 3 day supply in place and then work on a 30 day supply.  3 day supply -> 30 day supply -> 3 month supply -> 1 year supply
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Step 1 is figuring out your neighbors, you definitely shouldn't bother with liberal neighbors...

View Quote
Agree'd.  I wouldnt go door knocking either. There are other methods to this.  Additionally you wont change a single mind that the covid panic didnt.  If seeing empty shelves and lines to get into stores didnt flip someone, theyre lost.  

Additionally OP, to feed the prepper addiction, watch the TV series Jericho on Netflix.   There's some unrealistic stuff in there, like no one ever loses weight, but it's a good mind exercise on how things might go and give you food for thought.  It's 2 seasons, but season 2 was rushed and was kind of bad after they canceled after season 1 and the fans revolted (which is funny how that happened).  

As far as networking, get out of your neighborhood and go do some walking and talking.  Most preppers dont call themselves preppers dont run around talking about prepping. It breaks rule #1: dont talk about it.  Every person i've met at the local LDS store is likely doing the same thing I am. But we dont discuss it.  It's too far away for me to make it a daily stop like i do with a few other places.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Step 1 is figuring out your neighbors, you definitely shouldn't bother with liberal neighbors...

View Quote

I agree.
I dont know my neighbors, but I know enough about them to know I don't want to know them, and I want to get out of town when the real estate market drops.

100% you need to network.
Liberal area? Go to your local American Legion, VFW, etc. Get a membership if you can. My grandfather served in WW2 so I'm a Son of Legion. Mine offers social memberships also, they're a business at the end of the day. A lot of good, hard-working people in those places. And obviously Vets. Good spot to network.

All the food/water/etc is worthless of in the 1st 24 hours you get a cut and die of infection. Of course you can store meds, but there's a reason why Drs go to school for 6 years or something crazy.

Try to make friends with your local emergency services. Not all, but some cops/Medics/FF have a clue and are big into the prep game. Plus they have skills and understand your area.

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We store dry dog food in 55 gallon drums. In the SE heat and has to be rotated about every year at the most in order to keep it in good shape.

After that it will get a little white looking on the top layer, you can pitch that top layer to your chickens (they love dog food).

Too much oily stuff in dog food to bother packing it in mylar (people ask that regularly).
View Quote

That's what we do.

We also have started the process of figuring out production yeilds for the animals when there is no more tractor supply.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#28]
In 2009 I had a buddy graduate Ranger school. Before he went in he was a solid 220 and when he got done was 175 and looked like death.

So I did an excersise. In Jan 2010 I wanted to see how long my body could operate on maximum effort and little caloric intake like it was SHTF.

Everyday for 9 months was starvation. I started in lane 1 of a track and worked my way up to lane 8 and then back down. Each lap was 20 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 20 walking lunges, and using the bleachers as many pull-ups to failure which started at 1. This on top of my flvery physical job in construction laying asphalt.

Food was nothing but water for breakfast. Lunch was two hard boiled eggs, a cheese stick, and apple. Dinner was half a chicken breast and salad.

January I weighed in at 265 and in September I was 198. I looked like death but I was functioning and was able to perform work. In the process I fucked up my adrenal system and it resulted in having low testosterone which never recovered and now I have to supplement.

During workouts it was regular to pass out and faint from low blood sugar and lack of calories. It wasn't healthy at all but it was a test to see how far I could go. This was before kids and during the FBHO administration and I was sure the world was going to end at any moment. Here we are 10 years later and it hasn't....

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Start giving away "garden kits" as presents to your neighbors on holidays.  Something like a gift basket of seeds from the discount section of the garden center that you buy in the fall.  You could throw in a book about basic vegetable gardening or some cheap hand tools.  Some neighbors will throw them away, some will chuck them in their shed or garage and not think about them, but some may actually start using them.  Those people are your core group if SHTF.  If you can get three or four people on your street to even begin growing food they will be way ahead if food gets scarce.  They can expand their own gardens and help you educate the people that did not throw away the seeds you gave them earlier to plant them.  

Having a water source is the next big hurdle.  A community handpump well in your front yard the neighbors can access will go a long way to making you a valuable part of the community that is contributing to their overall survival.  That means people will speak up for you and help protect you if only to keep access to the free water.  Having some basic supplies to help people set up their own rain catchment systems could help too.  You do not need a fancy rain barrel.  You can cut off a down spout and set a short flexible section running into an old garbage can, if all you are using the water for is to water a garden.

If you can give them a leg up on food and water they can probably figure out the rest for themselves.  

Couple further ideas for things you could do to help the neighbors get ready for SHTF.  If you have some disposable income spending some money on five to ten pawn shop semi auto .22 rifles and a couple bricks of cheap .22 ammo for each would give you some weapons you could hand out for neighborhood defense, crop protection, even hunting.  No where near as good as an AR-15, but they will do in a pinch.  You could stock some cheap power banks with attached solar panels.  They are around $20.  Those could make good Christmas gifts along with the basket of seeds.  Collecting a small library of useful books that you could lend out so people could figure out how to solve their own damn problems after a disaster along with record keeping so you can get them back is a good idea as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Written by member David Crawford #Halfast
Excellent story they tried to get made into a film but it fell apart.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#31]
This reminds me of the articles Gary North used to post in the years leading up to Y2K. He was convinced anything technological was going to hard-crash after the roll over. It was much of the same talk of prepping and networking. One of the big problems he determined was not going to be the people who even mildly prepared. The problem was going to be people who did nothing to prepare. In the true total grid-down scenario he envisioned, as hunger and desperation set in, the unprepared were going to become a bigger and bigger wild card. Obviously, the further away you were from major metropolitan areas, the better. But sooner or later, you'd end up having to protect and defend your preps from people who had nothing left to lose. That's when things were going to get sporty and survival was going to take a tough stomach.

Gary North mostly disappeared after Y2K turned out to be a nothingburger. I was living in an apartment outside of New Orleans at the time, so I was in no position to do anything to prepare. So I was glad Y2K was a non-event.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
<snip> Y2K <snip>
View Quote
Theres a short podcast series called Surviving Y2K where they interview some people with all different aspects of the non-event long after the fact.  From the guy that discovered the bug to a lady that was hostage in a bank robbery that night.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't talk to most of my neighbors about anything anymore. Out of about 14 homes on my street I trust two.

I was able to judge their political views after a few conversations and meeting guests at parties. They're not in alignment with mine, which tells me they could be a threat if things went south. The other two are good to go. One is the president of my gun club and the other makes his own Italian meats, wines, gardens, etc. I also have one other like minded person down the street I'm friends with. I've made my trusted friends through the gun club. I'm also lucky to have some like minded family members in the 1-5 mile range.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
start taking note of your liberal neighbors' stuff.  If needed, you will know where to get what
View Quote
I hate to say it, but this is true.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#36]
If I was in your situation, I would assume I'm behind enemy lines and figure out how to survive without anyone else finding out what I had if I couldn't leave to go somewhere else (check family to see what they be able to offer).

I'm assuming you are planning for STHF and not a regular issue like hurricanes/tornadoes/etc.

Assuming the above, the below is what I would start figuring out.

1:  How to get water and purify it without leaving your house.
         A:  Boiling water will require fuel which is a problem of it's own.  Firewood needs to be cured/dried for it to work well.  Propane is a limited resource.  Natural gas I wouldn't rely on in a crisis (see Texas in some parts during the storm this last winter).  Solar can be ok if it's sunny (solar oven) or a solar generator when it's cloudy (need some type of electric kettle to boil water or a pressure cooker).
         B:  Water filters are easier to use without leaving the house if you can get water.
         C:  If you are doing rain catchment on asphalt shingles, I would look into what chemicals can leech into it and figure out how to get rid of them.

2:  How to get human waste away from your house.
         A:  If you are on septic, then as long as it's downhill from the house, you should be good.  You will just need water to flush the toilets (the catchment would work for this).
         B:  If you are on sewer, then you may have issues if you are downhill from the treatment plant or they have to use pumps to get the sewage out of your subdivision.  You may want to look at a way to turn off the sewer line if necessary.

3:  How to cook food without everyone in the neighborhood finding out.
         A:  Need to starve like everyone else at the beginning, so you don't look like you have food.  Keto is good for this as you will drop weight, but may be tricky to keep up long term with the required fats.
         B:  Need to figure a way to cook food inside the house in an internal room with no windows that you can completely shutoff from the outside world (towels under the doors or tape around the edges).  Need this as once people are starving, they are going to be coming to the smell of food and you can smell it a damn long ways if you are starving.
         C:  Need to figure a way to cook without fuel as you probably don't have enough to last 6 months.
                   1:  Solar ovens are one way if you have a south facing room with windows, but you won't be able to cook here, just boil water to thermos cook or something similar in the interior room.
                   2:  Can get a solar battery generator and some solar panels for off-grid usage and use some type of induction plate to cook in the interior room.  You might also be able to use a slow cooker or pressure cooker.  Pressure cooker could be used for several different things also (Water purification, cooking, disinfecting surgical tools, etc).

4:  Need window coverings on all windows.  Heavy/blackout drapes would be nice as people will start looking in windows to see what you have.
         A:  Probably would look at security around the perimeter of the house and not rely on anything that requires grid power.  You can get door stops that run off a 9v battery that have an alarm if you need to be alerted.  Window film might be worth looking at also.

5:  Power is needed to keep your freezers going.  Probably the best would be a large solar generator (big battery with other items) and solar panels.  Would need a way to keep lights off in the house as that would raise suspicion.
         A:  Solar panels are cheap, but batteries can cost depending on what you wanted to get and how much you needed.  You may want to take a look at all your power needs to figure out which are the most important and which you can live without.

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#37]
If things really went sideways sustainability is paramount. A year of food is great but what about day 366?

A true collapse of modern society from whatever cause would be really, really ugly as there are millions upon millions of people that would make up a tidal wave even in the short term. Look at South Africa now. That mob comes to your neighborhood and it'll be bad.

You survive that and now you're still looking at the hard part.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Gary North was the worst of the doomsayers during that time period, maybe only eclipsed by Steve "The country will be nuked by July 4, 1996. If I'm incorrect I'll never make another prophecy" Quayle.

Chasing dates has always been a problem in the survival movement and unfortunately their is always some jackass that will throw them out there for personal gain/fame or whatever.
View Quote

Clearly, he was way, way off on his Y2K predictions. Like, not even close. But, some of his observations about what to expect if his predictions had come true were sound. I think he was spot on about the preppers versus the rest of the population. I don't think things are going to get to the point where there's complete anarchy, no power, no water, no food, and no society. We may have shortages and rationing, but a complete breakdown of everything is unlikely. We'll probably have a few panics, especially if it looks like we're going back into some kind of lockdown. I saw that LA has revived their mask mandates. So, we're heading back down that road again. With the midterms next year, we're going to see more Covid mania from the left as they try to re-secure the tricks and maneuvers that allowed the 2020 cheat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#39]
for those commenting on my specific conditions, I do appreciate it. I'm newer to prepping stuff and I'm always happy to hear from people that have been at it a while.

For water: rain collection. 500 gallons between barrels and a cistern. In a rainy area so statistically I can recycle 100% every 30 days. Usually more.
multiple filters and purification methods
I have guns and ammo for my whole family and maybe 6 trusted adults. I dont have that many friends but I know my neighbors are ex cops, current marshalls, and gun store owners.
I have freezers, generators, solar lights, but no solar battery banks. I do stock gas/LP/pellets for the smoker and firewood
I'm a doctor but more physical medicine than drug based
good first aid
good HD (former sponsored 3 gunner)
been learning. I can cook, distill, purify water, etc.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#40]
FWIW, a friend was using this link when he was unable to afford a doctor. We have a few meds in common and the stuff he was getting was the same as I was getting locally.  They limit you to a three month supply on each order,

In-House Pharmacy

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Make friends with a Dr.  Have him write you a 90 supply with 3 refills at double dosage.  Get a pill splitter.  Pay out of pocket.

If you discuss with your pcm, they may write you a hand script.......
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Make friends with a Dr.  Have him write you a 90 supply with 3 refills at double dosage.  Get a pill splitter.  Pay out of pocket.

If you discuss with your pcm, they may write you a hand script.......
View Quote
Depending on what it is, this may trip an alert if your state tracks specific meds, but that is mostly limited to narcotics and some other oddities.  But this is solid advise.  Finding the dr to this requires the leg work tho.  I'm lucky that mine will write about anything in person, but i also dont ask for much.  Also helps he is a surgeon instead of a traditional primary care,  
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I just downloaded the audible version after reading the thread. I’ll still ask for a hard copy for my birthday because I’m weird like that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#44]
My preps aren't great, about 2 weeks of food, outside the pantry and specifically for preps.  Probably stretch to 3 weeks.

But.... I work in a rural area.  Half my male coworkers hunt and shoot.  Most families have access to a family farm or hunting area.  Amish abound.

I'm hoping to finagle our way in with those folks.  What do I bring to the table?

My ammo fort, and a pretty full safe.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Regardless of personal beliefs about COVID and our response to it, if there is one dim ray of sunshine to the whole mess it's that a great many people got a sudden introduction to why it's a good idea to be prepared.  Over the past year+ I've had a number of folks grudgingly mention to me that maybe this "prepper" stuff isn't just loony bin paranoia after all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Phenomenal read.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#48]
What are best long term food options and stores to buy from?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In 2009 I had a buddy graduate Ranger school. Before he went in he was a solid 220 and when he got done was 175 and looked like death.

So I did an excersise. In Jan 2010 I wanted to see how long my body could operate on maximum effort and little caloric intake like it was SHTF.

Everyday for 9 months was starvation. I started in lane 1 of a track and worked my way up to lane 8 and then back down. Each lap was 20 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 20 walking lunges, and using the bleachers as many pull-ups to failure which started at 1. This on top of my flvery physical job in construction laying asphalt.

Food was nothing but water for breakfast. Lunch was two hard boiled eggs, a cheese stick, and apple. Dinner was half a chicken breast and salad.

January I weighed in at 265 and in September I was 198. I looked like death but I was functioning and was able to perform work. In the process I fucked up my adrenal system and it resulted in having low testosterone which never recovered and now I have to supplement.

During workouts it was regular to pass out and faint from low blood sugar and lack of calories. It wasn't healthy at all but it was a test to see how far I could go. This was before kids and during the FBHO administration and I was sure the world was going to end at any moment. Here we are 10 years later and it hasn't....

View Quote

I did something similar to this and I'm convinced the rapid weight loss clogged up my gallbladder. As a result a month or two after returning to a normal diet I had to get it removed.  It was do or die time, but I was traveling a lot overseas and didn't want to die in a village somewhere.
I lost maybe 35 lbs in 8 weeks.  It changes your perspective on food. After a week or so you can tolerate much better than you think. Exercise like stairs would be very hard.  If I attempt something these days after 3 days of fasting I will get a burning sensation in my stomach that I blame on a lack of bile regulation I would have had if I kept my gallbladder.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top