Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2020 7:54:13 AM EDT
Hey guys!

I'm going on an elk and deer hunt in Montana in November.

I'm a flatlands from Florida, so don't have much of anything in cold weather gear.

Can you please help outfit me for a 5 day trip?

What do I need, and where should I get it?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Sitka would be a 1 stop shop for great gear... you won't likely wear out
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Smart wool socks and long johns should be your first layer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sitka would be a 1 stop shop for great gear... you won't likely wear out
View Quote

That's gonna be spendy. Sitka has some strict MAP rules for retailers. Local bow shop was going to have a sale, guy told me they had to get Sitka's OK for everything. The Incinerator bibs are over $500 MSRP I think.

OP are you going to be sitting in a blind or treestand? Or is it more spot and stalk? If sitting in one spot for a while, you'll want warmer gear.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's gonna be spendy. Sitka has some strict MAP rules for retailers. Local bow shop was going to have a sale, guy told me they had to get Sitka's OK for everything. The Incinerator bibs are over $500 MSRP I think.

OP are you going to be sitting in a blind or treestand? Or is it more spot and stalk? If sitting in one spot for a while, you'll want warmer gear.
View Quote

dressing for the cold is something learned over a lifetime.   You can't just bundle up like Ralphie's lil brother in 'A Christmas Story'...      

You will need to consider how active you will be, how much gear, how far from base camp, etc.

The old adage about layers (not sure if a Florida man ever hears that though) is true.   And I'll leave this nugget for you too.   BUY QUALITY WOOL SOCKS.   I call em $20 socks.    You could outfit yourself head to toe in the best and most appropriate gear, and if you are wearing cotton gym socks you'll end up losing a few toes.    Cotton Kills.   Literally.    Buy good quality WOOL socks.

and post an AAR
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy this collection from Firstlite

https://www.firstlite.com/collections/rifle-mule
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Last fall I was in a blizzard in Colorado for 6 days while elk hunting.  Temps were -5 to about 40.

I wore 400 gram Merino wool long underwear tops and bottoms and socks.  

Then just a pair of sweat pants/shirt and uninsulated gore-tex outer wear over top them for the wet.    

I walked and stood in place for several hours each day and never got cold or overheated.

I wore 200 gram thinsulate leather boots, with steel toes.

Will be doing the same next month.  Hopefully won't get 3 feet of snow this year.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I've hunted a lifetime in the cold and have had my successes and failures with staying warm.  I really don't start hunting until the temps are in the low 40's.  Colder the better - Best success is 0 - 20 degrees.  I'll second Sitka, but understanding "layering" and the use of a high end base layer is critical to you being comfortable.   Sitka has some excellent videos on their site on the subject.  Also, knowing your cold sensitive weak spots on your body. (ie. my hunt is over if I can't keep my neck warm).  Last year I used a heated hunting vest for my core - game changer - lol. I also hunt all day from a stand.

Good luck!  sounds like a trip of a lifetime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top