Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2020 11:10:41 PM EDT
I need some new camping recipe ideas for either grilling, open fire cooking, dutch oven, skillet or about any other way of cooking.

We don't back country camp too often so I will have access to multiple coolers and about anything I would need and there is only my wife and I to fix for so not a lot of leftovers or anything to try to try and keep. I like the cast iron dutch oven as I can set it and forget it and have dinner ready later after relaxing with a few beers. Also anything that we can prepare or pre-mix ahead is great too.

What are some of your favorites ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was in the scout our scout leader would fix hobo dinners is what he called them heavy duty tin foil hamburger patty in the middle with carrots potatoes and onions wrap tightly and put up in the coals around the fire for a little while then pull out and unwrap and eat
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was in the scout our scout leader would fix hobo dinners is what he called them heavy duty tin foil hamburger patty in the middle with carrots potatoes and onions wrap tightly and put up in the coals around the fire for a little while then pull out and unwrap and eat
View Quote

We did that too, but since scouting I have tried many variations.

Trim and slice some decent cut of beef, peppers and onions along with appropriate pepper steak seasoning.  Wrap tight and cover in coals.

My fav camp meal though is ribeye on the chimney.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this. We do them on the grill sometimes even home.

We use hamburgers corn, onion, carrots, and canned potatoes. Add some cheese and it steams up nice
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Dutch oven- 2 cans pie filling(your flavor) 2 boxes white cake mix, 1-1.5 sticks of butter.

Put filling in Dutch oven(Can add cut up fruit as well)
Cover with cake mix
Cut up butter into pats and cover cake mix
Sprinkle sugar on top.  
350F (charcoal ring on top and half as many under the oven) 20-30 minutes  then check.  Delicious desert
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Dutch oven part 2

French onion soup Packet
Roast(pork deer beef)
Water halfway up
Put on low heat (coals) after breakfast and leave
An hour or so before dinner add cut up vegis
Yum
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Www.campcook.com
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my favorites is chicken fajitas.
I cut everything up at home season it and put it in a heavy zip lock bag and into the cooler. (Sliced chicken breast,onion, bell peppers, fajita seasoning, little lime or lemon juice)
Heat up a wok, Dutch oven, pot, etc with a little oil and dump everything in.
Stir it until the chicken is done, if you cook too hot the veggies will be a little under cooked so you can pull the chicken to the top and let the veggies cook some more.

Serve on tortillas with ranch, salsa, and or shredded cheese.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
A whole channel full of cowboy cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/krollins57

Kent Rollins Cowboy Cooking Channel
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

At the Barn Burner 104 mountain bike race in AZ

Attachment Attached File

Steak.  Chicken kabobs.   Yum!!!

It helps if you burn >10,000 calories on a mountain bike first.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Www.campcook.com
View Quote

Your link is dead for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Huge fan of Dutch Oven Cooking.

One of my go-to's is Chicken, rice, and biscuits.  It is easy, hearty, warm, and filling.  The last time I had it it was cold and rainy on the north rim of the grand canyon.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pack of thighs or quarters
Chicken flavored rice, zatarains yellow rice(my favorite), or other flavored rice.  (Make sure that is not one that requires browning pasta bits in a skillet)
Butter
Tube of biscuits

-Put rice an seasoning in dutch oven, leave out 1/4 of total liquid called for as the chicken and butter will fill that void :-)
-Put chicken in and hit with salt and pepper or any other favorite seasoning
-Put 3-4 table spoon pats of butter in there
-Let it cook
-about 10-15min before done, put biscuits on top of chicken and let them cook in the dutch oven.
-Cook till the chicken and rice are done, about 1-1.5hrs at ~350
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
These are some recipes my dad and I have been making for decades...

Pork Chili Verde

This is absolutely the best Dutch oven recipe you can make with only two ingredients .

Ingredients:

3-4 pounds of pork cut into 1 inch cubes (You could use chicken or beef just as well. We prefer the pork flavor in this dish.)
1 or 1.5 jars (24 oz) of La Victoria Salsa Verde (the green sauce...any style)
(optional) 1 tub of sour cream to serve with the chili verde.
Preparation:

Dump pork and salsa verde in the Dutch oven and gently mix together.. Be careful not to tear the foil lining.
Cooking:

Usually takes 90-120 minutes to create the tenderness you want with a little crust on top.
Serving:

Serve with tortillas and cheese with a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy. Save some for an omelette...you will be glad you did.

Phil's Southwest Tamale Pie

This is my own invention from scratch. It is my wife's favorite Dutch oven recipe. You can create variations many ways by changing the ingredients .

Ingredients:

3 small cans of spiced or flavored beans. My favorite is S&W Chipotle Flavored Beans. However, chili beans, black beans, Louisiana style beans, etc., will also work great.
2 pounds of pork cut into 1 inch cubes (You could use chicken or beef just as well. We prefer the pork flavor in this dish.)
One yellow or brown onion, chopped.
½ to 1 cup of grated cheddar or jack cheese.
1 teaspoon minced garlic.
1 tablespoon of red chili sauce (optional).
1 can of Marie Callendar's Southwest Cornbread Mix. This is probably a local California brand. It is cornbread mix spiced with red and green bell peppers and hot spices. You can use any package of cornbread mix as a substitute. Prepare using baking instructions on the package (adjust for altitude if you are above 5000 ft by adding extra liquid). When camping I usually mix the cornbread in the 1 gallon freezer bag and it saves a lot of cleanup.
1 tub of sour cream to serve with the cooked tamale pie.
Preparation:

Dump the beans, onions, pork, garlic, and chili sauce in the bottom of the Dutch oven and mix with a spoon. Be careful not to tear the foil lining.
Sprinkle the cheese on top of the mixture.
Pour the cornbread mix over the cheese and even out all over using the backside of a spoon.
Cooking:

Usually takes 50-60 minutes. It is done when both the pork and cornbread are fully cooked.
Serving:

Spoon it onto your plate, add a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy!

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Try this https://media.wix.com/ugd/088043_08231f7cbb544bef86e367c1888d6d8d.pdf
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Sear cubed spam and chopped onions with butter in dutch oven.  Add one big can of tomatoes, one can rotel, and two cans corn. Serve with Club crackers, salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Before you leave home, slice up peppers and onions, add to a gallon Ziploc bag with some garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and a little rice wine vinegar. This goes well with any meat. I like to take some pre-cooked kielbasa and slice it up into another bag with a little oil.

To cook, heat the vegetables in a pot or foil bag over a fire or stove. After the vegetables release their moisture add the sliced kielbasa and bring it up to temp.

You may wish to let it simmer uncovered for a few minutes to reduce the water content.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of variations on this.  One that is a standard for our trips is a "Hawaiian meal"

Healthy slice of ham
Few slices of sweet potato
Pineapple ring
A little butter and brown sugar

Potato should go on the bottom if they aren't precooked/canned.

Tasty, and doesn't really need to cooked through to be eaten.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Www.campcook.com

looks like this might be it...

www.camp-cook.com
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Try this https://media.wix.com/ugd/088043_08231f7cbb544bef86e367c1888d6d8d.pdf
View Quote
Thank you...good stuff...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
How cool do you want to be?  

A couple of kielbasa & a box of Zatarain's jambalaya mix is a great cold weather meal.

One of the secrets is to pre-chop anything you can.  

I've made this chili recipe more than once and it's always a hit, but all the dicing is done at home:

https://www.texascooking.com/features/july2004chiliexpert.htm

Take a couple of tri-tips (I also use flank steaks because they cook faster) and put a bunch of this on them:

https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/santa-maria-bbq-rub

Carne asada can be put together the day before and cooked over a fire quickly.

One time I just made burgers.  Brought a bunch of burger, mixed it at the campsite and had store bought potato salad & whatnot to go with it.  Sometimes going simple is a nice change.

Pre-made twice baked potatoes wrapped in foil around the fire heat up great.  Add pre-mix salad and big steaks.

But, like I said, so many things can be made in camp if you do the chopping at home.  Then it's just dumping in the pot and stirring while drinking.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#21]
PS: If you want to get really fancy, this guy does so incredible meals.  Now some are English stuff that no sane person would eat, but what he can whip up over a fire is amazing.

https://www.outdoorchannel.com/show/farming-the-wild/328975
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Get this from Amazon.  It is a deck of cards with some great stuff.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Just did this one.  Was working on quick and easy recipes for hunting camp. Today was chili colorado.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Damn good if I say so myself. Brown meat. Mix in two spoonfuls of flour, two spoonfuls of the red chili and some salt. Stir a bit and add water and a splash of red wine vinegar. Cook down. Took 10 minutes and everyone loved it. Will use picketed red onions next time.

Definite keeper for an end of a long hunting day meal.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just did this one.  Was working on quick and easy recipes for hunting camp. Today was chili colorado.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86202/AAB650BF-345E-4200-81AF-0F14462B8114_jpe-1522150.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86202/82A28933-0E38-4C55-9D9D-E0D12CAE8290_jpe-1522167.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86202/FF51E4D5-CCD3-4B58-9CB1-0C26B11B32B8_jpe-1522169.JPG

Damn good if I say so myself. Brown meat. Mix in two spoonfuls of flour, two spoonfuls of the red chili and some salt. Stir a bit and add water and a splash of red wine vinegar. Cook down. Took 10 minutes and everyone loved it. Will use picketed red onions next time.

Definite keeper for an end of a long hunting day meal.

View Quote

Ohhh I like!
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I like those videos.

I do a mean pineapple upside down cake in a Dutch oven,   I never really flip unless you count spooning it out and putting the goodies from the bottom on top.  

Two cans of chunk pineapple
One jar maraschino cherries
Box of yellow cake mix, with what the mix requires, eggs, oil, milk
Brown sugar
Butter

Mix batter and use the strained pineapple juice to replace as much milk as necessary, that’s a key for good pineapple flavor.

I line my d/o with tin foil to make clean up easy

Melt a stick of butter, add a lot of brown sugar to cover the d/o bottom well,
Add in the strained chunks of pineapple and the strained cherry (manhattans for the excess cherry juice)
Pour mix gently over top, do not stir
Lid and bake with coals under and above, drink your manhattans while watching the clock and rotating the oven.

Spoon out when done.  For camp I am never bothering with the whole cake flip.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top