Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2020 10:59:54 AM EDT
I put this in the “tactical gear” section and didn’t get much response so I’m posting it here. I’m wanting a good pair of binoculars and want to keep it under $200. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Vortex Diamondback line. Now I’m debating between the 8x32 or the 10x32. I’ve researched a ton and I understand the strengths and weaknesses of each, but now I’m looking for feedback from people who have more experience than me.
I understand that an 8x will probably be best for 90% of what I’ll use it for (scanning, target ID), but part of me really wants that extra magnification to see more detail on far objects.
I’m torn. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You're right, 8X will "do the job" 90% of the time.  That other 10% will bug the shit out of you, though.  
And...the other 90% of the time, though adequate, you'll be wondering how much better it would with more power.  

I guess what I'm saying is eventually you'll end up with both if you don't buy the 10X to start with.  
The only holdback would be the FOV, but the 10X Diamondbacks have a decent amount.  

FWIW - I'm a guy with a couple of 8X, one 10X, and one 12X.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 to Jack, 8x will leave you wanting.  The smaller size is nice, but for field work is too little magnification.  

I've a few pairs, 8x32, 10x42, and 10x50.  My favorite for hunting binos are the 10x42, size, weight, magnification, and that 42mm objective really comes in handy at first and last light.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 10X42 and I can say that I have never wished for a smaller image.

Beyond that, I think I'd plan on spending more than $200, or waiting until you can. (or look at used)
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what I’m thinking. I’m gonna go with the 10x.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I would opt for 8x32, because it's x32. At 10 it will be bright in good lighting, but dawn and dusk will not be perfect.

In x42, that's another story. 10x42 without question.

Unless you won't need it in low light, 10x32 is a good choice.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got the Nikon Aculon 10x42 for Christmas and they’re fine for casual use.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
10 x 32mm will be a little dark.  Optical math is divide the objective diameter by the power.  You really want that number to be 4mm or better because that better matches the diameter of your pupil.  At 3.2mm and low light conditions, it's like looking through a paper towel tube - you lose brightness.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
You said nothing about wt. Why?
How much more does that 10X32 weigh over the 8X32?
If it is 6oz or more. IMHO: you will not like the added weigh!
I was suggesting Alpen binoculars. but looking for them myself.
I could not fine a good price. Or their home page! Sorry about that.
Let the pack know what you get! Maybe a picture or two.

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I ordered the 10x32’s. The size and weight difference between those and the 10x42’s was pretty significant and I really wanted them to be as compact as possible. I understand I’ll be giving up some light gathering ability, but I’ll have to deal with it. If they don’t work out I’ll sell them and order the 10x42’s.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I ordered the 10x32’s. The size and weight difference between those and the 10x42’s was pretty significant and I really wanted them to be as compact as possible. I understand I’ll be giving up some light gathering ability, but I’ll have to deal with it. If they don’t work out I’ll sell them and order the 10x42’s.
View Quote

Vortex Diamondback??
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Vortex Diamondback??
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

You'll be happy.  That's good glass.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#13]
One of these is worth the money if you're carrying in the field.  

Locks in place, just rotate and lift.  
No bouncing binocs as you're walking.  
No strain on your neck from a strap.  
Binoculars don't swing away from your body if you lean or bend over.  

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
10 x 32mm will be a little dark.  Optical math is divide the objective diameter by the power.  You really want that number to be 4mm or better because that better matches the diameter of your pupil.  At 3.2mm and low light conditions, it's like looking through a paper towel tube - you lose brightness.
View Quote

This.  It's not just losing brightness, it's also having to exactly position the binos to your eyes to see anything. I would never get a 10 power with smaller than ~40mm objective lens, and 50 is better.

8x40-ish is a good spot for general purpose binos.

For lower cost binos, porro prism designs have a much higher performance/cost ratio. The Nikons are well regarded, the Action Extreme (waterproof) line are pretty good really. The 8x40 would be where I'd start.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to rain on your parade, but if you are buying roof-prism binoculars and they make a big deal of phase-coated prisms in the advertising, you are not exactly buying top-of-the-line optics.

Phase coating on roof prisms is an absolute minimum requirement for any roof-prism binocular you might  even consider buying.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not to rain on your parade, but if you are buying roof-prism binoculars and they make a big deal of phase-coated prisms in the advertising, you are not exactly buying top-of-the-line optics.

Phase coating on roof prisms is an absolute minimum requirement for any roof-prism binocular you might  even consider buying.
View Quote

Spending $200 on a pair of binoculars will never get you top of the line binoculars. But it can give you a nice solid set of binos that will do everything the majority of people will ever need them for. I have a $60 pair of Tasco binos. Compared to high end binos....they suck. But, they still make far away things appear to be closer than they really are which means they work.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

So what brand did you go with?
And a picture would be nice as well.

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So what brand did you go with?
And a picture would be nice as well.

PITA45
View Quote

I ordered the Vortex Diamondback 10x32’s. I haven’t received them yet but will give an update when I do. I understand their strengths and limitations but in the end I wanted higher magnification while still being very compact and the Diamondback line gets stellar reviews. For the $160 I paid I figure if I don’t like them I’m not out much.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Steiner 7x50 Military/Marine Binoculars

About $300. Well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my Vortex Diamondback 10x32’s today. I’m thoroughly impressed. The quality seems very high. The glass is very clear. I’ve only been able to use them around my neighborhood so haven’t gotten to stretch them out much but the FOV seems good. The case and accessories that come with them are nice. For the $150 I paid I have to say it was a smokin deal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got my Vortex Diamondback 10x32’s today. I’m thoroughly impressed. The quality seems very high. The glass is very clear. I’ve only been able to use them around my neighborhood so haven’t gotten to stretch them out much but the FOV seems good. The case and accessories that come with them are nice. For the $150 I paid I have to say it was a smokin deal.
View Quote

@tatsngats

Midway has a sale for the 10x42 binos.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420121029?pid=927718
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, those are the gen I. Not sure what the differences are but I got the gen II. Price is a little higher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top