Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2020 5:17:50 PM EDT
I am need of a new tent, are there any new whiz bang styles or brands to look at?

I am looking for at least a advertised 4-6 person tent that will fit a king sized air mattress. They always seem to run much smaller and a 4 person really only holds 2 ppl.
This is just for me and my wife
a small entry room or porch area for removing shoes and gear would be nice
Colder weather rated would be nice
of course rainproof.

I am wondering about the quickie pop-up / folding types and if they are worth a damn?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been a long lasting tent, I've liked it so much I bought another its a long running model. You can fit 3 queen size matresses tightly together in it size wise.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-8-Person-Tent-Camping-Canyon/dp/B00OY9GXTA

If you need something thats built for extreme camping I'd go Hilleberg or Kifaru
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Marmot 6 person.  Great quality.
It really depends on your needs.
I had a $45 tent from some bigbox. Bought in 1995.
Camped all over CO and Moab and Wyoming.
Worked  well for 10 years.
Had a built in tarp bottom.  Not a backpacking tent.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By networkguru:
I have a Marmot 6 person.  Great quality.
It really depends on your needs.
I had a $45 tent from some bigbox. Bought in 1995.
Camped all over CO and Moab and Wyoming. 
Worked  well for 10 years.
Had a built in tarp bottom.  Not a backpacking tent.
View Quote

I 2nd the Marmot tents.  I have a couple in the Limelight series and they're nice.  Easy up and down, well thought out pole system.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got a Coleman Montana 8.  The daughter and I slept in it in the backyard this past weekend.  For the price, I am happy with it.  You could get 2 queen mattresses inside.  I needed a roomy family tent for when I don't want to lug my canvas 20x16.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Marmot tents. I used one up in SE Alaska on many trips and it worked well every time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I doubt you want to spend this much, but American made and very well made.

Really like mine, 8 man tipi and titanium wood stove, by seek outside.  1200 for everything.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Big Agnes makes some nice products.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you hiking with this tent or unloading it from your trunk.   Cause if weight is not a concern, id take a look at Kodiak Canvass.  Their 10x10 would have plenty of room for yor needs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#10]
A few years ago I posted about this Coleman 4 man Dark Technology tent I bought.   It's the green dome tent with the pitch black center in the pic, and that blackness goes all the way through.  Seriously, that tent is like crawling into a cave, it actually seems impossible how dark it is inside.

If they make it in a larger size, with an entry that would be amazing, but to sleep in, this thing is ideal.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you hiking with this tent or unloading it from your trunk.   Cause if weight is not a concern, id take a look at Kodiak Canvass.  Their 10x10 would have plenty of room for yor needs.
View Quote

If he's looking for something that'll fit a king-size air mattress, he's definitely not going to be backpacking/hiking with it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
NTK tents on Amazon.com have been awesome for us. Best rainfly I've ever owned, worth every penny. We had our laredo gt for a few years and the poles just did crack on one this year. I messaged the support email and had a reply in hours and they sent me a complete new set of poles for free only asked for shipping of $20. Poles came threw days later. Best tent I own over marmot, kelty, coleman, Sam's club specials.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Cabelas has some decent larger tents.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]
My Kelty has been good to us. REI has some house brand tents that are good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I doubt you want to spend this much, but American made and very well made.

Really like mine, 8 man tipi and titanium wood stove, by seek outside.  1200 for everything.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/3925C94F-C0F2-4FD5-90BE-F29CD8925BA2_jpe-1413056.JPG

View Quote

I have a no name silnylon tipi similar to a seek and titanium stove and I second this route.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top