Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
I need a man purse.... (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2011 2:09:27 PM EDT
I figure that the title would get some attention, plus its the truth.

I have a Hawkpak Rifle Bag in my truck as a GHB, and a I use a couple of Maxpedition Active Shooter Bags to go with my rifles at home for extra ammo and medical stuff but what I'm looking for now is a smaller bag to hold a pistol, a couple of mags, first aid stuff, and a few smaller odds and ends. My kids are getting older and we are doing more things as a family, fairs, rodeos, bike rides on paths in different resort areas, etc, and I don't want or need to carry 24 or 72 hours worth of stuff. I want something small. Smaller than the active shooter bags, which work fine but I thought that they would be smaller than they turned out to be when I got them. So I don't want to get something that I think is going to be the right size but turns out to be too big.

I've looked at the BlackHawk Tactical Handbag and I think it will work but would like to know if anyone has it and can post a pic of it in reference to something so that I can get a better idea of the size. Or if anyone has any other bright ideas that I should look at that would be great too. Something that is about half the bulk of the active shooter bag would be good.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Not 5 minutes ago i told my wife i need a satchel

i am going to look at some of the maxpedition stuff. something like this
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Maxpedition jumbo versipack. I've had mine 5+ years now and it's still going strong. </thread>
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PBIR:
Maxpedition jumbo versipack. I've had mine 5+ years now and it's still going strong. </thread>

THIS, i love mine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Works for him.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
la police has their small carry bag. sounds like it would work perfect for what your looking for
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 3:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You know what doesn't make you look like a giant tool while holding your shit 20x more effectively?

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By markfall:
You know what doesn't make you look like a giant tool while holding your shit 20x more effectively?

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93/shawn_dewann/Oswego/SuperBreak/JanSportBigStudentTanCircles022.jpg

On a serious note, there is nothing at all wrong with a tried and true Jansport backpack.  My high school backpack is still going strong 15+ years.  I sent it back to Jansport once for a full zipper repair no questions asked.  They also gave me all new zipper pulls.  

Jansport- The Right pack
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By taggart_lumpy:
la police has their small carry bag. sounds like it would work perfect for what your looking for

I just started using one for work a couple of weeks ago.  Plenty of pockets, but not so big that I overload it.  Will carry a 1L Nalgene bottle at each end.  Conceals a Glock 27 & two standard-cap mags.  http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Brother i carry a MOLLE ACU sustainment pouch on a shoulder strap...for odds and ends....its cheap and cheerfull...vince g. 11B INF...
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Custom Made a few years back, Still have em, Still love em
Tan interior, Tan Rifle Case, Tan Spartan Bag

inside the bag

Both Bags showing comparo with 1 Quart Nalgene

Velcro Pile PALS Panel

Normal PALS Section

Admin Pockets

Shooting Mat

Now THAT is a Man Bag
POK made them for us way back when.
They sell it now as the HBC Heavy Brief Case but it is one compartment now and it is more limited
Anyway this is the original configuration.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I would definitely go with Maxpedition. I've had several for the past few years and they work great. They should have the perfect size for your needs.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]

That would be a gay french cop?
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By blt-2-drg:
I would definitely go with Maxpedition. I've had several for the past few years and they work great. They should have the perfect size for your needs.

+1 on Maxpedition!  Have you looked at Max's Gearslinger Series?  I've been using the Malaga for years and love it!  It's larger than what you are looking for but the smaller Remora Gearslinger might fit what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for Maxexpedition products.  Plus, they are Made in the USA.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 10:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreatDane] [#16]
Originally Posted By jeepnik:

You sure about that? My Colossus was designed in the USA, and made in... Singapore, I think.

ETA: Tactical bags for cheap
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jeepnik:

According to the FAQ's on their website.  Their nylon gear is made in Taiwan.  Only the Liger gunbelts are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mylt1:

THIS, i love mine.

yup
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#19]

+1 on this

every guy needs a good MURSE :)

"Freedom isn't Free"
Another great site worth checking out: Survival Forum
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
MAXPEDITIONS ACTIVE SHOOTER BAG IS WORTH TAKEING A LOOK AT
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I have 2 of them. Too big for what I want.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Man purse, satchel, call it what you want but I prefer "day pack" and this is the one I'm looking to buy... Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Maxpedition Lunada.  Looks like a half-sized backpack.  Can hold a lot of stuff, you'd be surprised.  I use mine daily to carry all my worthless junk, my lunch, netbook, multitools, flashlight, gps, umbrella, Nintendo DS, you know, the important things!  I have a Fatboy, but it drew a bit too much attention with it's unusual-ness.  The Lunada blends right in.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the Blackhawk Enhanced Battle Bag.  Why? My primary guiding criteria was that I wanted the smallest bag that would still safely carry my MacBook Pro. More than once, I almost pulled the trigger on a Maxpedition Malaga as it looked like it was the smallest of that brand that would work. I used to use a blackhawk briefcase to hold my old Acer laptop––and it was a beast to carry around. It filled the bill during anesthesia school, but I don't carry all those books now.

Anyways, I made my own padded case from OR packing material to protect my MacBook and I have room for a few books, or magazines, flashlight etc. It is covered with pals webbing, but the flap covers most of it so you're not screaming tactical as much as you might think. The inside of the flap is clear and will hold an 8.5x14" piece of paper––just size that my monthly work schedule is printed out on

Unlike the larger blackhawk briefcase––This one WILL stand UP! I always hated having to make sure I leaned that old briefcase up against something, otherwise there'd be a lump the size of a small car where it fell over!

For me it fills my need, and I'd recommend it.

Normal disclaimer: I've nothing in any of the above companies or products.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a work at home dad of 4 (5th will be here in November)..my oldest is 8.

I bought this bag UTG Messenger in OD a year or so ago.  It was much less than the Maxpedition it knocks off.  Thought I'd try a cheaper one first, glad I did.  I don't really like it for what I intended it's use (dad bag).

Since then, and finding out another baby is on the way, I went looking for a new Dad Bag, and ordered an XLEOD from County Comm.  For the little use it's seen, so far...I dig! For me it's easier to toss over the shoulder than to toss over the head and belly.  

for those that know what MOLLE/PALS is, it's a screamer...for the uninformed, it's a basket weave nylon bag.  Brown shows outta stock, glad I ordered when I did....it matches most everything.

A back-pack style bag would be my next choice.  

Once the baby arrives and the XLEOD gets going, I plan to review as a diaper bag....
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#27]
TIB from one source tactial.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LEDOUXFAN:
MAXPEDITIONS ACTIVE SHOOTER BAG IS WORTH TAKEING A LOOK AT

SOMEONE DIDN"T EVEN READ BUT OP BUT STILL FELT THE NEED TO YELL IN ALL CAPS DUUUUUURRRRRRR
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I have settled on the Maxpediton Remora Gearslinger.

It just the right size IMHO.  I've owned several other bags both larger and smaller.

I use a crossbreed Ohai holster insert on the Velcro and pack the rest of my personal gear in the rest.

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I am going through almost this same thing except I need bigger. My Camelbak Blowfish finally gave out after 10 years of use and all of the versipacks I have seen are to small. I need something that will hold all my pens, FAK, contact solution, netbook, game stuff, pistol, water and my lunch.

I have been thinking about the Mongo but am worried that it will be to large.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#31]
As long as it matches your shoes, ok....
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Omni:
I am going through almost this same thing except I need bigger. My Camelbak Blowfish finally gave out after 10 years of use and all of the versipacks I have seen are to small. I need something that will hold all my pens, FAK, contact solution, netbook, game stuff, pistol, water and my lunch.

I have been thinking about the Mongo but am worried that it will be to large.  

Try looking at the Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger or the Sitka is you need one even larger.  I love my Malaga.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Check these out.
Hawke Paks

Larue had them. and I cant find them now.. they are pretty nice..
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigKnuckles] [#34]
LL Bean. Men’s diaper bag.
Nobody suspects a thing.
Like this only darker
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Totally grey man...a little spendy

Shackleton EDC Satchel

Little more purpose built...and great price

ITOA Survival Kit

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:55:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PegasusAirborne] [#36]
Just started carrying the Emdom Wide Load 3" Multipurpose Pouch. Ordered optional shoulder strap. I've carried bags from Spec Ops Gear and HSGI but they lacked organization and everything was in a big pile in the bottom of the bag. I don't need to carry a lot so the size and organization pockets on the Emdom bag are perfect for me.

https://youtu.be/7aSSNi7DBEY

I have a  S. O. Tech Tactical Mission A-1 Go Bag when I need a little bigger bag.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mainsail] [#37]
Check out Sportsmans Guide or similar military surplus sites and see if you can find a cool looking milsurp bag/pouch.

You'll save a ton of money and you'll look less like an armchair commando.

Some examples of how to spend less money:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Filson medium Field bag
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#39]
https://mountainsmith.com/2020-day-lumbar.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Patagonia makes a nice sling, so does kelty. Both are small but large enought to carry a few essentials
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#41]
OP wants a diaper bag, and that's OK.  Many suggestions for such.

As to EDC Satchels, my observation is that all the small stuff will drift to the bottom of such bags, unless such items are otherwise prevented/captured from doing so.  Pockets are only slightly less of a trap.

Perhaps having internal velcro panels, and having user-configurable Velcro One-Wrap retaining straps might be the way to organize things for immediate use.  No expert, but have configured my satchel in this way, and so far, so good.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By David14:

I just started using one for work a couple of weeks ago.  Plenty of pockets, but not so big that I overload it.  Will carry a 1L Nalgene bottle at each end.  Conceals a Glock 27 & two standard-cap mags.  http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

View Quote
I have 2 of these,use the big one daily for work. Holds a lot with all the pockets.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Hill People Gear makes good stuff, more chest pouches than bags but all their stuff is pretty versatile, it's like mil-spec civilian gear.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:31:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: everready73] [#44]
Originally Posted By battlemidget:
Hill People Gear makes good stuff, more chest pouches than bags but all their stuff is pretty versatile, it's like mil-spec civilian gear.
View Quote

This is what i came to say

They have several options that would probably work

Something like this sounds about right

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/71

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/2

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Holy thread resurrection.

Maxpedition jumbo versipack. I've had mine 5+ years now and it's still going strong.
View Quote

Make it 14 years now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Holy thread resurrection.

Make it 14 years now.
View Quote

Lol i just saw a recent post, didnt even check date on the op
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
I hope you were being sarcastic about the grey man part... that big ass cobra buckle isn't fooling anyone
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Badger545:
I hope you were being sarcastic about the grey man part... that big ass cobra buckle isn't fooling anyone
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Badger545:

Not totally. Most people have no clue what a cobra buckle is. Like the number of people I have straight nils lies to about my BFL sticker on my rear window is.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m noting a similar trend between mothers and men. Growing up moms pushed a small stroller and carried a small diaper bag. Men put everything they needed in their pockets.

Today folks have safari strollers packed for TEOWAKI. And men now feel they need an expedition size backpack to go to the corner store. 🙄🙄🙄
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
I need a man purse.... (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top