Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2020 8:42:10 PM EDT
Well, not quite. Working on it.

Covid inspired, a little. Was planning on this a while ago. Just got to doing it now. Raised my seedlings from sprouts in cups. Wish me luck.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you could give Oliver Wendell Douglas and run for his money , too bad Eb died today
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Really like your raised bed setup. Will be really nice soil and easy to weed (if there are any at all)
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that thing 4x8?

Like the look of it. Might put together something similar for some smaller stuff.

Any idea how much you had in the wood?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Made a cheap and easy planter since our garden keeps increasing in size.  

Father in law has a bunch of scrap pieces of these wooden I-beams.  So I just threw together a 8' (ish) x 3' (ish) with the pieces I picked up.

Made up a jig to use with my circular saw, that way I actually cut straight.  

Made two of the pieces 3 feet long, and two of them 8 feet.   Screwed them together and easy peasy, big cheap box planter.  Our other planters are rubber troughs.  Yep, the rows off to the right will be CORN.  

So I was going to miter the corners but that's a whole 'nother discussion.   Here's my circular saw at a 45 degree.  I broke 3 circular saw blades trying to cut these I-beams (I think they are OSB).  Then I said screw it and I'll just make the ends 90 degree.  Then worry about sealing the gaps at the corners.  Wife has some plastic she can put there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Go get some 25-yr weed barrier and re-do the whole thing. You're going to ruin your soil when that plastic starts to break down in the sun and get in the soil. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that thing 4x8?

Like the look of it. Might put together something similar for some smaller stuff.

Any idea how much you had in the wood?
View Quote

Yes, 4x8

No idea how much $$$. I just got what I needed. A 4x8 sheet if CDX plywood. A few sticks if 2x8x8, some 4x4 and some 2x4.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Garden update. Added some cross bracing and under support brackets as well as a ground bed too for the extra seedlings that didn't fit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top