Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 8:42:10 AM EDT
I'd like to get a decent, entry level thermal scope.

I need a good image out to 200 yards or so. Much of our ranch is oak hammock and brush.

We employ pvs 14's now, but I think thermal would be awesome.

I don't need wiz-bang recording options. I just want a durable scope that performs.

Any offerings in the $2K - $2.5K range? As I'm not that technical, the reviews and specs confuse the hell out of me. Moving shots are a must if there is a certain frame rate threshold for that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve had both the Hogster R25 and the AGM Rattler 25. I like the AGM better for the onboard recording and the ability to bluetooth connect to your phone via the t-vision app. The button setup on the AGM is also a little easier to navigate than the hogster, but outside of that, they are very comparable in performance. Both are similar in price as well ($1800-2300) depending on where you purchase.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Try the rentals first. Nothing like first hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SOVIETsilence:
I’ve had both the Hogster R25 and the AGM Rattler 25. I like the AGM better for the onboard recording and the ability to bluetooth connect to your phone via the t-vision app. The button setup on the AGM is also a little easier to navigate than the hogster, but outside of that, they are very comparable in performance. Both are similar in price as well ($1800-2300) depending on where you purchase.
View Quote

Nice.

I found the following vid pretty helpful for distinguishing the R25 and R35. I'm not for making rash decisions, but if a few hundred more improves the picture a good bit, I'll probably lean that way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
View Quote

I'll check with my local shops on this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Keib:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keib:
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I think there’s a shop down by you that offers a payment plan. Sense you’re already set up with good NV you might also try a hand held unit for scanning and spotting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm trying to lock down some things before inflation starts moving prices much.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
@tmm1270

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Pulsar xq38 if you can find one. Not sure if they’re still in production or not . .... if not, the xq50. Yes it’s slightly higher than your mentioned budget, and yes you’ll probably have to wait, or pay full price if you want it now. But there a reason there’s a waiting list for some brands, and others are readily available.  A good reason
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tmm1270:
Pulsar xq38 if you can find one. Not sure if they’re still in production or not . .... if not, the xq50. Yes it’s slightly higher than your mentioned budget, and yes you’ll probably have to wait, or pay full price if you want it now. But there a reason there’s a waiting list for some brands, and others are readily available.  A good reason
View Quote

My brother has a pulsar, but I'm not certain of the model. I'll find some time to play around with it before I pull the trigger on something.

The model you mentioned is oos everywhere I looked.

Thx!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Tmm1270:
View Quote

XM30 is in that price range for Pulsar. I recently got one but haven't had a chance to test it beyond playing around with it
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Is that what you bought?  Thoughts??
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 2:17:34 AM EDT
[#13]
the Pulsar XQ38 or a new Thermion.  I would stick with the lower end magnification options, as it sounds like you will benefit from scanning with it as well and you will be able to identify different species at distance based on their behaviors and what you see through the scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top