BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That’s what snowshoes are for! A friend and I love bushwhacking up local mountains on snowshoes, even we have to get on our hands & knees or low-crawl at times.
View Quote
In the video it looks like the snow was unexpected.
True enough as far as what you said. I was talking to one of the people I was on the ADK peaks with this summer and they hit all 46 peaks without a single W suffix on any of their ascents, so they may be up to some winter climbs this year. They're too busy this month after just getting back from hitting some peaks in Spain
Had this week off from work and expected to be able to get out for a couple of nights to enjoy fall before it gets colder, but was not meant to be. Still getting in three or four day hikes, at least
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Can’t let this be archived!  Especially since I’m considering a high peak hike this month.

Anybody want to join me aka, keep me from dying alone in the woods?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can't let this be archived!  Especially since I'm considering a high peak hike this month.

Anybody want to join me aka, keep me from dying alone in the woods?  
View Quote
I'll wait till the weather is warmer and the blackflies aren't as bad. Planning on doing hike for the last couple weeks of July and at least one more in the fall
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like I’m going to try Phelps and Tabletop (finally) on Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
did marcy a few years ago and camped at the old dam. Phelps was about .7 miles from where I camped. There was a 4 foot puddle of piss at the base of phelps trail, and I could smell it from 50 yards away. Never been more afraid of bears than I was when I realized what I walked up on.
Good luck to you!
That is perhaps maybe the most beautiful camp I’ve ever done. Hands down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Btw, marcy is a real bitch.
Don’t do her first like I did.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did Marcy several times........in high school and college hiking clubs.   It was way less crowded back in the eighties.   Now it’s like standing in line for hockey tickets.

The cold snap has got my knees aching today and I tip my hat to you!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It looks like I’m going to try Phelps and Tabletop (finally) on Sunday.
View Quote
What are conditions like on the peaks this week. Phelps was my first peak last summer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I’m home, devouring a plate of chicken, ziti, green beans and asparagus.

Left the house by 4am. Hit the trail about 7:45. Upper 20’s and overcast. Started out as a very nice hike. Got to Marcy Dam pretty quick. Saw some brightly colored tents in the woods. When I got to the Phelps junction, I figured I’d hike that first. Pretty steep mile and you are there. No views, all clouds. There is no summit sign. As I was walking the trail just before the summit, I snapped a pic of the cloudiness, and how I felt like I was walking amongst the treetops. Lots of snow at the peaks.

Attachment Attached File

Coming down, I did some butt-sliding. Pretty fun. When I returned to the trail junction I saw a Ranger working. He was shoveling snow onto the trail to facilitate snowmobile use for emergencies. We chatted for a few minutes and I shared a venison snack stick with him. On towards TableTop.

I was questioning myself about doing both because my hips and lower back were starting to ache. I figured I came all that way, I should tough it out. TT had some pretty good steep parts but it wasn’t as hard as Phelps. The peak is .8 miles from the Van Hoevenberg Trail.

Attachment Attached File

5.5 miles back to the truck. 8 hrs total time on trail. Peaks #10 and #11 done!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Very windy at the top, not much reason to loiter. Here are some more pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Wright Peak from Marcy Dam
Attachment Attached File

Mount Colden from Marcy Dam
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice AAR

Maybe you'll get out there for another peak or two before spring
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Don’t tempt me.

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
My plan for Marcy is to hike from the Loj and summit Mt. Colden. End up on the Lake Arnold Trail and spend the night somewhere. Day 2 head towards Grey, Skylight, then Marcy before returning to the Loj.

———————

Another camping trip I’d like to do is The Seward Range. I’d climb Seymour on day 1 and the other three on day two. I’d return via Caulkins Brook trail and probably camp out again.
If anyone wanted to join me, feel free. I could loan out a spare sleeping hammock and could share my water filter.

*These would be in the summer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a frustrating time for me. April-June is mud season in the High Peaks. I’ve read that it’s not ecologically sound to hike now as it exacerbates the erosion of the trails.
    Not to mention that the Covid warnings want us to stay away from the region and hike locally. The area has little medical infrastructure and community spread could really fuck them up. I get that. But I could drive up without stopping for food or gas, hike in relative isolation and be responsible. The one thing that could keep me away is that emergency services are stretched thin. If I were to become injured or need rescuing, that’s tying up a valuable resource.
I don’t like this.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is a frustrating time for me. April-June is mud season in the High Peaks. I've read that it's not ecologically sound to hike now as it exacerbates the erosion of the trails.
    Not to mention that the Covid warnings want us to stay away from the region and hike locally. The area has little medical infrastructure and community spread could really fuck them up. I get that. But I could drive up without stopping for food or gas, hike in relative isolation and be responsible. The one thing that could keep me away is that emergency services are stretched thin. If I were to become injured or need rescuing, that's tying up a valuable resource.
I don't like this.
View Quote

IDK if you're on any of the FB 46er pages, but it's to the point that I don't even look at them now.  It's basically the locals and the liberal elites with $$$ that have "camps" there telling everyone else to stay away not so nicely.  Somehow the elites with the money that live in the NJ/NYC area are exempt and can come up to their "camps" and spread the plague, it's just the average poors that aren't welcome anymore.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is a frustrating time for me. April-June is mud season in the High Peaks. I’ve read that it’s not ecologically sound to hike now as it exacerbates the erosion of the trails.
    Not to mention that the Covid warnings want us to stay away from the region and hike locally. The area has little medical infrastructure and community spread could really fuck them up. I get that. But I could drive up without stopping for food or gas, hike in relative isolation and be responsible. The one thing that could keep me away is that emergency services are stretched thin. If I were to become injured or need rescuing, that’s tying up a valuable resource.
I don’t like this.
View Quote

It's getting so ridiculous that they were actually threatening to limit people to trips to the grocery store or doctor, and it was being suggested that walking outside the house for dog walking was ok but anything else, even on trails, was being discouraged. They even threatened to fine people if they couldn't get voluntary compliance. There must have been some pushback because a day or two later some new directive came out saying that it was still ok to use the literally hundreds of miles of local trails, but that warning signs needed to get put up at trailheads and people should still socially distance.
There are so many trailheads that outside of state parks I doubt that I will see one
I was on DEC land today and there were droves of bicycles, families, dog walkers, you name it
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IDK if you're on any of the FB 46er pages, but it's to the point that I don't even look at them now.  It's basically the locals and the liberal elites with $$$ that have "camps" there telling everyone else to stay away not so nicely.  Somehow the elites with the money that live in the NJ/NYC area are exempt and can come up to their "camps" and spread the plague, it's just the average poors that aren't welcome anymore.
View Quote

Doesn't surprise me
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#18]

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and after further consultation with AMC leadership, effective Monday, April 13 and continuing until the authorities in each state have lifted stay-at-home orders, we will not be accepting peaks ascended during this time period for the lists that we oversee: the White Mountain 4000-footer list (including the four-season award), the New England 4000-footer list, and the New England Hundred Highest list. In other words, any ascent made from now through the time that the stay-at-home orders are lifted will not "count" towards the completion of any of these lists. The current stay-at-home orders are in effect through May 4 in New Hampshire and Massachusetts; May 15 in Vermont; and May 1 in Maine. Any or all of these could be extended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and after further consultation with AMC leadership, effective Monday, April 13 and continuing until the authorities in each state have lifted stay-at-home orders, we will not be accepting peaks ascended during this time period for the lists that we oversee: the White Mountain 4000-footer list (including the four-season award), the New England 4000-footer list, and the New England Hundred Highest list. In other words, any ascent made from now through the time that the stay-at-home orders are lifted will not "count" towards the completion of any of these lists. The current stay-at-home orders are in effect through May 4 in New Hampshire and Massachusetts; May 15 in Vermont; and May 1 in Maine. Any or all of these could be extended.

While we have been encouraged by the excellent response from the hiking community to the "hike low and local" recommendation, we feel this additional step is necessary to address the large numbers of people who are not heeding the recommendation and continue to risk spreading the virus in communities that may not have the resources to deal with the result. In addition to the risks posed to local mountain communities by hikers traveling from other areas, spring conditions on the trails are especially hazardous. First responders may not be available should an accident occur, and would be potentially exposed to the virus if called out for a rescue.

Wherever you hike locally, please do not go in groups. Avoid busy trailheads. Practice social distancing with a minimum of six feet, and give plenty of room when passing other hikers. Keep dogs leashed. Please do not use any shelters or privies, as these are not sanitized and could facilitate the spread of the virus. Wash or sanitize your hands before and after every hike, and after touching surfaces that others may have handled. If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 (dry cough, fever, shortness of breath, loss of sense of smell) please stay home and check with your medical provider. We are all in this together, and together we will get through it. Please stay safe and stay local. The mountains aren't going anywhere.
Guarantee this will happen to the ADK 46 in the next couple of weeks
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m not on the Facebook groups, but I have gotten a bit of “big government statist” vibe from some on the high peaks forum. Maybe downstate is used to addressing issues down to the lowest common denominator. Fuck that, I’m a big boy. I’m ready for a day trip; maybe the Santanoni Range?  I want to be sure I can leave the snowshoes at home though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m not on the Facebook groups, but I have gotten a bit of “big government statist” vibe from some on the high peaks forum. Maybe downstate is used to addressing issues down to the lowest common denominator. Fuck that, I’m a big boy. I’m ready for a day trip; maybe the Santanoni Range?  I want to be sure I can leave the snowshoes at home though.
View Quote

If you just want to put in trail  miles and don't care about altitude, pop over my way for a day. The FLT is still open, and the bugs aren't bad yet most days. It's cool enough that you don't overheat. Putting in a 15 mile day and still being close enough to either end to carpool back to the trailhead is easily done.

If the high peaks are your prerequisite for a day on the trail, I think that we'll all be waiting a while for that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#22]
That sounds like a really cool goal.

FWIW, I don't go into the woods without two quarts of water, a water filter, a real trauma kit (including splint material), survival kit, space blanket, rain jacket, and light insulating top layer.

I don't pack for how things are, I pack for how they might get if things go bad.

A simple slip and fall can turn into a 24-48 hour ordeal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That sounds like a really cool goal.

FWIW, I don't go into the woods without two quarts of water, a water filter, a real trauma kit (including splint material), survival kit, space blanket, rain jacket, and light insulating top layer.

I don't pack for how things are, I pack for how they might get if things go bad.

A simple slip and fall can turn into a 24-48 hour ordeal.
View Quote

Not a bad plan.
My day time pack runs around 20 lbs
Too many of the people I hike with bring next to nothing with them and think that since they're on a day hike nothing can go wrong.
I've been on too many lost hiker/ skier/ you name it searches to think that way
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 5:41:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Since the gyms have been closed, I’ve been doing day trips to smaller peaks ever since phase 1 of the slow releasing grip on our rights. I’ve hiked:

Coney, Goodman, Arab & Ampersand
Baker and Scarface
Bald, Black Bear and Rocky
Haystack and McKenzie
Cobble Hill and Bear Den

I’m planning on another day trip to climb three firetower mountains:  St. Regis, Azure and Cathedral Rock.

I just love the ADKs.

EDIT:  I hiked Woodhull Mountain on 7/12. And on 7/21 I did climb Azure, St. Regis and Loon Lake Mountain, not Cathedral Rock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I was planning on another 46 hike at the end of July, looks like thats gonna get cancelled.  Work sucks right now and I'm almost positive that my vacation request is going to get denied.  I've had a foot injury plaguing me for the past 1.5mos and with the gyms still closed I'm is horrible shape.  Maybe a Sept 46er is in the cards
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was planning on another 46 hike at the end of July, looks like thats gonna get cancelled.  Work sucks right now and I'm almost positive that my vacation request is going to get denied.  I've had a foot injury plaguing me for the past 1.5mos and with the gyms still closed I'm is horrible shape.  Maybe a Sept 46er is in the cards
View Quote

Let me know, bro!  Have you hiked Big Slide or Sawteeth yet?
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Let me know, bro!  Have you hiked Big Slide or Sawteeth yet?
View Quote
No, I've done
Giant x3
Rocky Peak Ridge
Whiteface
Esther
Wright
Cascade
Porter

Probably looking at Big Slide or Street and Nye this year. Can't plan anything till I know my foot will hold up and I can get some cardio in, and not have my time off denied
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I hiked the three high peaks in the Santanoni Range today. They are very remote, only herd paths, no maintained trails. Unless you are aspiring to hike the 46’er challenge, stay away from these trails. Mud, narrow overgrown paths, spruce trees scraping, poking, tripping, mud,...

A few nice views though:
Couchsachraga from Panther Peak
Attachment Attached File

Santanoni from Panther
Attachment Attached File

The Seward Range from Santanoni
Attachment Attached File

I think this is Marcy, Skylight and Redfield
Attachment Attached File

12, 13, and 14
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Did you visit Australia in those last two pics?

I'd still like to join you on one of the smaller ones - but wouldn't want to camp overnight.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's a great website to use as a trip planner: Adirondack Journey

I've done a quite a few of the 46er's... I need to get back up and finish them.

My favorite is going into the backside of Algonquin and staying at Flowed Land. You can use that as a "base camp" of sorts to knock off a few peaks. Parking isn't as bad as coming in through ADKLOJ at Heart Lake. Go through the old mines to get to the parking lot.

Upper Works Parking

http://adirondack-park.net/history/mcintyre.mine.html

Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Knocked out the Seward Range yesterday and today.

Seymour first. #15
Nice steep climb to the summit. Great views of Ampersand Mountain and Lake:
Attachment Attached File

And the rest of the range from right to left:
Seward #16
Donaldson #17
Emmons #18
Attachment Attached File

Mikey, I don’t know if there are any easy high peaks. We can climb some really excellent mountains that are not as high/far.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've done a quite a few of the 46er's... I need to get back up and finish them.

My favorite is going into the backside of Algonquin and staying at Flowed Land. You can use that as a "base camp" of sorts to knock off a few peaks. Parking isn't as bad as coming in through ADKLOJ at Heart Lake. Go through the old mines to get to the parking lot.

Upper Works Parking

http://adirondack-park.net/history/mcintyre.mine.html

View Quote

Yup. Haven’t hiked in from Upper Works yet, but when I do I’d like to basecamp near Lake Colden and get Marshall, Cliff and Redfield.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#33]
What’s your footwear OP?  Asking for myself
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What’s your footwear OP?  Asking for myself
View Quote

I wear Keen Targhee mid-height waterproof hikers. They are well broken in and I never have blisters. Ymmv.

Attachment Attached File

Also, in the summer I wear ankle length Darn Tough wool socks. With all the mud in the High Peaks, waterproof or not, your feet will get wet. When I get home I throw them in a bucket with warm water and oxyclean to soak before I put them in the washing machine. Wool, never hike in cotton.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wear Keen Targhee mid-height waterproof hikers. They are well broken in and I never have blisters. Ymmv.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/71A4B9A6-6B7F-4E8C-836F-88CF154A74A9_jpe-1541507.JPG

Also, in the summer I wear ankle length Darn Tough wool socks. With all the mud in the High Peaks, waterproof or not, your feet will get wet. When I get home I throw them in a bucket with warm water and oxyclean to soak before I put them in the washing machine. Wool, never hike in cotton.
View Quote

Thanks.  The wife and I are going to start the 46.  We're doing our first soon (hopefully next weekend) at Porter, and maybe cascade, if time allows.  Unfortunately, new boots will not be broken in by then.  We just did Bald mountain Sunday as a precursor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#36]
That’s excellent!  Make sure you bring enough water and snacks, it’s amazing how many calories you can burn on these hikes. And the peaks that are bald...they can be incredibly windy. A long sleeve layer could come in really handy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#37]
What a great day. The best part about it was that my friend and my oldest son both joined me for my day hike. We climbed Marcy after leaving the Loj, passing the herd paths to Phelps and TableTop. Reached the summit in about 3 hours, 40 minutes. We were in the middle of a cloud and I got hit with rain and sleet while trying to eat a sandwich. Up and over so we could get to Skylight next. The sky cleared up and we had nice views from there. By the time started climbing Gray, it was clear to me that I was getting tired. Gray’s herdpath was a bit rough, and it is a wooded summit.
Returning via the Lake Arnold Trail, we found it easy to get past the floating logs, but it was a long walk out.
#19,20 and 21

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#38]
The herdpath to Gray begins at Lake Tear of the Clouds. It’s pretty small for a lake, but it is where the Hudson River starts, I think that’s pretty neat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What a great day. The best part about it was that my friend and my oldest son both joined me for my day hike. We climbed Marcy after leaving the Loj, passing the herd paths to Phelps and TableTop. Reached the summit in about 3 hours, 40 minutes. We were in the middle of a cloud and I got hit with rain and sleet while trying to eat a sandwich. Up and over so we could get to Skylight next. The sky cleared up and we had nice views from there. By the time started climbing Gray, it was clear to me that I was getting tired. Gray’s herdpath was a bit rough, and it is a wooded summit.
Returning via the Lake Arnold Trail, we found it easy to get past the floating logs, but it was a long walk out.
#19,20 and 21

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/90FEFCF7-D862-4EC4-9CE0-11BAD0994668_jpe-1554029.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/CBAFD147-6206-4F87-95D5-0956A7877531_jpe-1554031.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/9E3C3A98-F0DB-444B-96E4-083E0A194D81_jpe-1554032.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/9C33BDFA-BC2C-4AE4-B87C-D714DAFA15B5_png-1554036.JPG
View Quote

Very impressive! I've been rucking locally (flat elevation) every other day all summer, 20+ lb bag. All under 4 miles - been meaning to push it further but I can't seem to get the wife to go with (she complains my stride is big and she can't keep up, I try to reduce speed) and it gets old going solo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Yesterday was perfect hiking weather!  It was 36 degrees when I started, but I still wore shorts. I heat up and sweat when I hike, and knew it would be in the upper 60’s so I didn’t overdress. The lower great range is just FULL of gorgeous views. My hike included 7 mountain peaks:

Snow Mt.
Pyramid
Gothics (high peak #22)
Armstrong (high peak #23)
Upper Wolf Jaw (high peak #24)
Lower Wolf Jaw (high peak #25)
Hedgehog

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Making progress on that peak count, OP. You'll get to 46 in no time
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yesterday was perfect hiking weather!  It was 36 degrees when I started, but I still wore shorts. I heat up and sweat when I hike, and knew it would be in the upper 60’s so I didn’t overdress. The lower great range is just FULL of gorgeous views. My hike included 7 mountain peaks:

Snow Mt.
Pyramid
Gothics (high peak #22)
Armstrong (high peak #23)
Upper Wolf Jaw (high peak #24)
Lower Wolf Jaw (high peak #25)
Hedgehog

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/3141DD70-C496-441B-B24D-BFC375513417_jpe-1589851.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/AA167FA4-1B1B-4951-88FE-D896D5814E30_jpe-1589853.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/6942CCE5-5598-4B51-A839-FBBAA0531EEF_jpe-1589856.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/495DA3B1-EA03-4571-9397-20A01802B9BB_jpe-1589859.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58424/E9D33E5D-2925-42A5-B9D1-634AE18A7492_jpe-1589863.JPG
View Quote

Nice... Everything closed my way...
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Doesn't anyone carry a pistol?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that a serious question or are you trolling? It's NYS. Upstate, but still part of NYS. There are so many NYC refugees in the Daks right now OP would probably cause some of them to stroke out if he open carried.
Most Upstate permits are unrestricted or "sportsman", which allows for carry during  any outdoor activity. Ours are limited to hunting and target practice only" We tried to get the judges to go to an expanded sportsman category and they refused.
That being said, I'm on day two of a seven day section hike and my Glock 43 is along for the ride
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't understand why you are asking.  Or assuming either way.  Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't understand why you are asking.  Or assuming either way.  Can you elaborate?
View Quote

Nope, not trolling, not being critical.
I just saw your list of equipment, which didn't mention a pistol. Maybe OPSEC.
I didn't see any other mention of carrying.
Just curious as to whether hikers didn't carry or didn't talk about it.
Cheers, and congrats to you for your progress.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Ah, well, when you hike in the ADK, you may find yourself among many liberals. It is popular for people to come from the Albany area, and further south along I-87 towards downstate, a big time liberal corridor. So carrying a handgun is concealed, and quite often, so are the conversations regarding such.  Too many wack-a-doos out there who would panic or get angry if they know you are armed, or red flag you or some shit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Did Phelps and Tabletop this past week for peaks 8 & 9.  Tabletop was clouded over with no view and some sprinkles through the upper herd path section.  A marten ran around by the summit sign begging for scraps.  Phelps was clear with a gorgeous view.  My 77yr old father, my 66yr old cousin, and my wife made the trek with me, but the wife isn't in the best shape and skipped Phelps and waited for us at Marcy Dam.  The water was so low that it was only a step across the water instead of taking the detour over the bridge since the dam is out.  Slow pace because of the wife, but traveled 14.2mi in 13hrs.  We just missed peak leaf season by a couple of days and I was surprised that the Loj parking lot was only about 1/4 full at 7am.  Coming back south through Tupper Lake it was peak foliage change.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Did Phelps and Tabletop this past week for peaks 8 & 9.  Tabletop was clouded over with no view and some sprinkles through the upper herd path section.  A marten ran around by the summit sign begging for scraps.  Phelps was clear with a gorgeous view.  My 77yr old father, my 66yr old cousin, and my wife made the trek with me, but the wife isn't in the best shape and skipped Phelps and waited for us at Marcy Dam.  The water was so low that it was only a step across the water instead of taking the detour over the bridge since the dam is out.  Slow pace because of the wife, but traveled 14.2mi in 13hrs.  We just missed peak leaf season by a couple of days and I was surprised that the Loj parking lot was only about 1/4 full at 7am.  Coming back south through Tupper Lake it was peak foliage change.
View Quote

Nice!  I may have to do Phelps again someday.  No views AT ALL when I went up in Feb.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top