Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2018 8:33:30 PM EDT
I have been elk hunting once, on a trip my uncle put together, I guess that makes me an expert.

Both of us would need out of state tags, he is international, so i do not know what is acceptable as far as if a hunter safety course is required for in state tags.
He wants a bull tag, I would prefer a cow, but really IDGAF.
So where can we go hunt that we have a reasonable chance of getting out of state tags where we have a reasonable chance of success on say 3 week hunt?
Which of those places allows pack animals? I would be perfectly fine hunting an area that requires a day walk in if I can use an ox or a mule to pack the animal out.
The only suitable rifle he has is a .404 jeffery, which is a sledgehammer out to 250, but is a mortar round after that, so if we hunt an area where longer shots are expected, I can loan him a .300 weatherby.

Any suggestions on how to set this up for him?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Colorado
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Utah
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen pack llamas, pack horses/mules,and even pack goats.

I have yet to see a pack ox.

Most Rifle seasons out here are well under 3 weeks, most are a week or so in Colorado.  Archery will get you a month.

That’s a lot to ask to have you set all that up, and our big game applications need to be in by tomorrow, midnight, for any limited units.   There are a lot of units open to over the counter licensing.

Unless you guys are older than dirt, you need a hunter safety card too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have seen pack llamas, pack horses/mules,and even pack goats.

I have yet to see a pack ox.

Most Rifle seasons out here are well under 3 weeks, most are a week or so in Colorado.  Archery will get you a month.

That’s a lot to ask to have you set all that up, and our big game applications need to be in by tomorrow, midnight, for any limited units.   There are a lot of units open to over the counter licensing.

Unless you guys are older than dirt, you need a hunter safety card too.
View Quote
This probably would be for next year, and while it is a lot to set up, he has done the exact same thing for me in South Africa. The hunter safety card, do they accept out of state Hunter safety courses like my NC one? Or do we need a CO one?
As far as an Ox, most settlers used oxen for a reason, while they are slower, they have incredible stamina, and tend to not do stupid shit at the worse possible time like a horse, plus I already have 2 in training.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure what states hunter safety Colorado recognizes.    CPW website probably could help there.  Keep the application date in mind, although that sounds like a tag from our draw would only help you get a cow or either sex tag.   The premier hunting units take several years (20 for some) to draw.    There are some private land hunts that are in great units, for great money.

CPW Regs are available here.

https://www.cpwshop.com/home.page
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Utah
View Quote
Why Utah?
@J-L
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Because he lives in Colorado.

Colorado is pretty much the easiest for a non resident to get into. Any over the counter tag you get for rifle will only be a bull tag though. You should look at Idaho as well. Most other states you will need to start building points or pay to hunt private land.

CO accepts other states hunter safety courses. I'm fairly certain you'll need your cert with you.

There are some additional regulations as far a pack animals go but it's all on the Colorado fish and game website. Their web site is very informative and detailed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been researching and planning a hunt for myself and some friends. Colorado and Idaho seem to be the easiest to get OTC tags in, I ruled Colorado out because I like to hunt with a suppressor on my rifle and they don't allow it so I'm now looking at Idaho and Montana.

From what I've read while you do have to draw tags in Montana they typically have more out of state tags than what are applied for so the odds of getting a tag are near 100% outside of  a few of the premier trophy units. From my reading it also appears that a bull tag can be used for a cow in Montana (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you can hunt for a bull but if you feel like you're about to get skunked and get a chance at a cow you can take one, in Idaho you buy a cow or a bull tag and bull tags can't be used on cows which would suck if you were on the last day of your hunt with a bull tag and came across a cow.

As far as the hunters ed qualification it appears that they both recognize out of state certificates but I have no idea what the requirements would be for someone coming from outside the US.

Not much but this is where I'm at so far, hope it helps!
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Trailering ox from NC to hunt in CO. Be sure to take lots of pictures, as it is the first time I have heard of it.

Buy a tag. Go hunting. Easy as that. Sure there a lot of details to work out, but once you have a tag for a u it with lots of public land just do it. We hunt deer, but the process is the same.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been researching and planning a hunt for myself and some friends. Colorado and Idaho seem to be the easiest to get OTC tags in, I ruled Colorado out because I like to hunt with a suppressor on my rifle and they don't allow it so I'm now looking at Idaho and Montana.

From what I've read while you do have to draw tags in Montana they typically have more out of state tags than what are applied for so the odds of getting a tag are near 100% outside of  a few of the premier trophy units. From my reading it also appears that a bull tag can be used for a cow in Montana (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you can hunt for a bull but if you feel like you're about to get skunked and get a chance at a cow you can take one, in Idaho you buy a cow or a bull tag and bull tags can't be used on cows which would suck if you were on the last day of your hunt with a bull tag and came across a cow.

As far as the hunters ed qualification it appears that they both recognize out of state certificates but I have no idea what the requirements would be for someone coming from outside the US.

Not much but this is where I'm at so far, hope it helps!
View Quote
I don't know where you heard Colorado does not allow supressors, but that is completely wrong.  I've been hunting with mine for years.  I checked with the division of wildlife and have in writing that it is fine.  Also been checked by officers in the field and they didn't care about the suppressor at all, ie didn't ask to see a stamp.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know where you heard Colorado does not allow supressors, but that is completely wrong.  I've been hunting with mine for years.  I checked with the division of wildlife and have in writing that it is fine.  Also been checked by officers in the field and they didn't care about the suppressor at all, ie didn't ask to see a stamp.
View Quote
Yeah don't know who told you that hunting suppressed is a no go but they are wrong OP
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Idaho.

Most tags can be purchased over the counter.  The price is about $154 for the license and I think $417 for the tag.  Archery season is a month long and some are either sex, which is nice.

Some tags also have multiple seasons such as archery during September, then muzzle loader in November, then archery again in December.  As an out of stater, you probably won't be going back during the same year, but its worth mentioning in case you get skunked on the first hunt.

This year I'm doing a rifle bull hunt that will be open for about 2 weeks.

You don't need a hunter ed class if you sign an affidavit stating that you've hunted before or if you were born before a certain year.

In addition to elk, you can also buy OTC deer tags that are good during the same time as your elk hunt.  Deer and elk tags can also be used to harvest bear and mountain lion in most cases.  Wolf tags are also available.

I hunted in the Gospel Hump Wilderness a couple years ago and being wilderness, vehicle access is limited but there are plenty of well maintained trails for people with pack animals.  In fact, most people hunting the area were using horses.  I imagine the other wildernesses would be similar.

If you hunt in the Northern half of Idaho, the forest is pretty thick so any shots are likely to be pretty close in.

Check out this thread for some more info:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Outdoors/How-to-get-into-elk-hunting-if-you-don-t-live-near-elk-/2-689282/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top