Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2018 10:26:04 PM EDT
I’m a dumb flat lander from Michigan and I’ve got no idea where to start how to apply for specific zones in Montana. I plan on doing rifle hunts at first and then archery

I’d like to do DIY with a few friends to cut down on costs of travel food and all that, plus making packing out easier
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
For this year?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely too late this year I do know that much as most lottery entry’s must be done in the early spring in most states that hold elk
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s good, plenty of time to do your homework.   Montana has some great hunting, I just don’t hunt there.   Bound to be some resource that show elk population, hunter success, draw odds.  You get the idea.

As far as gear, the sky’s the limit.   Hell, I hunted elk for years in army surplus gear.   Having a good tent with heat would be my priority.
Chances are you will get wet and cold, and need some way to dry out at night.  Good waterproof breathable boots too.

Check out some of our elk hunting threads for tips, but we don’t get a lot of traffic in this forum.   Put this out in GD and you will get some attention.

Rokslide is a pretty good hunting forum, might learn something there.
Good luck, elk hunting is a hoot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Custer Nat Forest in Eastern Montana .There's a Ranger station in Ashland.....ask for Scott.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to hunt this year lookout a couple of states like CO and ID that have over the counter tags. Get out and see what elk country looks like. Learn to read sign and maps. Lots and lots of maps. Buy good boots and plan on wearing them out in 2 years.

Then you will be ready for your first hunt....
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I got bit by the hunt out west bug, but I’ve been intimidated by the vastly different draw systems in every state. I don’t have any affiliation with them other than I’m a happy customer, but gohunt.com has made it possible for me to apply in several states this year. I’ve got a NV elk tag, AZ deer tag, pronghorn in CO and WY and still TBD on MT.

All that to say: do it! Much like NFA, I wish I’d started sooner. And we need more public land advocates. Listen to podcasts put out by guys like Randy Newburg and Steve Rinella.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got bit by the hunt out west bug, but I’ve been intimidated by the vastly different draw systems in every state. I don’t have any affiliation with them other than I’m a happy customer, but gohunt.com has made it possible for me to apply in several states this year. I’ve got a NV elk tag, AZ deer tag, pronghorn in CO and WY and still TBD on MT.

All that to say: do it! Much like NFA, I wish I’d started sooner. And we need more public land advocates. Listen to podcasts put out by guys like Randy Newburg and Steve Rinella.
View Quote
I’ve been listening to TRO ELKTALK Meat Eater Wired to hunt all of those on the daily but I think once I’m ready to dive head first I’ll look into go hunt
They keep doing free 30 day trials lol
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a native Montana'n, awesome state for hunting and fishing, god, I miss it!!!! But from Mich to New Mexico not much more of a drive, and Draw system is similar, acess to public hunting lands is not that bad, and you'll deal with less snow. From what my dad says ( havent been home in a along time mind you) public access is getting more and more difficult, less roads are open every year. Now in NM at least, there are quite a few roads through the Nat. Forests and Wilderness areas, giving decent access although a bit smaller than MT, but that makes getting to the elk easier in my opinion, at least without guides and horses. Check out Gila Natl Forest and Lincoln for a start. Elk are definetly prevalent in both, and doable for DIY hunts. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top