Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2022 11:04:06 AM EDT
We get inquiries for boot recommendations so I thought posting this may help some in the market for a new pair.

In the 90s and early 2000s I was an avid backpacker.   Now I'm getting back into it so I can get the experience for my boys.
Over time my feet have changed - they "grown" a half size and I have two frozen toes.  About 6 weeks ago I had toe fusion surgery on my right and today I'm back in real shoes and boots!

Anyway - in short I recommend Alico Boots - $200-240.  They are an Italian maker of full grain, traditional backpacking boots.  Sierra Trading post sells them in the US and at a big discount relative to their competitors.  If you want a full grain, long durable, resole-able boot these are excellent.  I've noticed that bigger names in backpacking boots don't make a traditional model anymore - like Asolo and Merrill.  All of them are built like shoes (think car based SUVs) and I feel the rocks through the soles.  Danner has some equivalents but for almost double the price.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Any link would be very advantageous here............
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any link would be very advantageous here............
View Quote
I didn't want to look like I was selling something - especially since no one asked and the ease of google...

https://www.sierra.com/s~alico/
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Research type of leather/rubber on them first. They do have (had?) some options that are more for fashion, I ended up getting one of those without understanding it ahead of time. The lace eyelets ripped out because the leather was weak, as well as the sole wearing down super fast.

My newer 1000 mile boots are less comfortable, but I could tell right off the bat that the quality was much higher.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We get inquiries for boot recommendations so I thought posting this may help some in the market for a new pair.

In the 90s and early 2000s I was an avid backpacker.   Now I'm getting back into it so I can get the experience for my boys.
Over time my feet have changed - they "grown" a half size and I have two frozen toes.  About 6 weeks ago I had toe fusion surgery on my right and today I'm back in real shoes and boots!

Anyway - in short I recommend Alico Boots - $200-240.  They are an Italian maker of full grain, traditional backpacking boots.  Sierra Trading post sells them in the US and at a big discount relative to their competitors.  If you want a full grain, long durable, resole-able boot these are excellent.  I've noticed that bigger names in backpacking boots don't make a traditional model anymore - like Asolo and Merrill.  All of them are built like shoes (think car based SUVs) and I feel the rocks through the soles.  Danner has some equivalents but for almost double the price.
View Quote

I thought I was crazy since I wear a half size larger than I did 20 years ago.  Good to know I'm not the only one.  Also, what do you mean you have two frozen toes?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll 2nd Avramel's recommendation of Alico boots.  I bought 2 pairs about 10 year ago from STP and they have held up well.

Often not mentioned is that boots with a stitched-down sole like Alico will not suddenly fail due to sole separation. The glue on boots with glue-downed soles will weaken over time and the sole can suddenly separate. It has happened to me; luckily I was not far in-field at the time.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I highly recommend Salomon boots and shoes.
They have been the best-fitting, most supportive, and longest-lasting footwear I've ever had.
I just wish, they also made steel toed - for chainsaw work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Danner 8” uninsulated are the ones that work for me
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought I was crazy since I wear a half size larger than I did 20 years ago.  Good to know I'm not the only one.  Also, what do you mean you have two frozen toes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not the only one or two.  It happened to me, but only one of my feet has changed sizes.  I had a great pair of Danner Quarrys, but b/c one foot "grew" I can't wear them anymore.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I highly recommend Salomon boots and shoes.
They have been the best-fitting, most supportive, and longest-lasting footwear I've ever had.
I just wish, they also made steel toed - for chainsaw work.
View Quote

If it's only periodic chainsaw work, you might use temp, add on steel toes, like these.  Obviously not a good idea if you do a lot of chainsaw work.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it's only periodic chainsaw work, you might use temp, add on steel toes, like these.  Obviously not a good idea if you do a lot of chainsaw work.
View Quote
Interesting idea, thanks.  I will investigate further.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
So what are frozen toes?

@Avramel
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Not available in a 15W/EE...or 16
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It means the joints on the large toes (at the base) have been removed. My toes are both fixed in an upward position a few degrees to allow a stride but nothing like I had 15 years ago. It is something I lost gradually so keeping the same stride without pain is fine by me. I can still walk fine and even run if chased.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It means the joints on the large toes (at the base) have been removed. My toes are both fixed in an upward position a few degrees to allow a stride but nothing like I had 15 years ago. It is something I lost gradually so keeping the same stride without pain is fine by me. I can still walk fine and even run if chased.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the reply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top