Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2022 10:59:15 PM EDT
A good friend gifted me an ICOM 718 a while back. Admittedly aside from my military Intel background I have no idea how to get this fucker up and running or if it is even operational. He didn't have any of the cords, just the mic.

Before anyone asks, I don't have my license yet and I have no intention of transmitting without one. I'd just like to get this up an running, preferably as a mobile unit inside my vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The manual is on many sites, download it and enjoy! That's a great little radio. Search terms: manual icom 718.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a good gift.

Would be mostly easy to get up and going to listen on. Need to get a power cord for it, which is available lots of places. Like Ham Radio Outlet, DX Engineering and maybe even Amazon. Then you'll need a power supply. If you use it mobile, you can wire straight to battery. To listen, you can put anything up to receive on, just make sure not to transmit on it to not harm the transceiver since it won't be resonant at all and could cause damage and likely will cause damage if it doesn't have a protection mode.

As far as mobile, it's HF only. Mobile HF is possible. Plenty of us do it, but it requires a bit more work to get it done right.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Hf mobile is NOT the way to start your amateur radio adventure if you were to ask me. HF mobile, and making it work is more complex by far than operating as a base station. Of course we don't know your situation, and perhaps you cannot put up any antenna's at home. But be advised that getting an effective HF mobile installation, and fighting the noise issues in modern vehicles can be a task. The stations you will hear mobile will be fewer and the signals weaker as compared to even a simple dipole up 25 or 30 feet at home. In general terms. I have been licensed for 51 years, I have run HF mobile for 3 years now.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy HF mobile, and have worked some amazing DX (Distance) but it is more work, and more skill is required. Not to mention my all band HF mobile antenna was $400, and a controller to make it work easier was $139.

Good luck with your journey, and if you would like to talk to me, contact me via PM or email my callsign at ARRL.net and we can get together by phone.

James  KØUA
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is one source for the power cord.  This one is fused and 4 pin molex  They will be a lot more $ at DX engineering or HRO.  You can also buy the parts at quicksilver to build your own if you like. Many options.

4 pin molex cord

Here is the ICOM site to download the manual.

718 instruction manual download

Let us know if you need assistance with antennas or how to get licensed.

Good luck   James KØUA

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is one example of a power supply to be used as a base station.  This is a good example of a switching power supply from a good known manufacturer.

Samlex 35 amp metered switching power supply.

Here is a good example of a conventional linear type of power supply from a good known manufacturer

astron 35 amp with meters and powerpoles on front

There are many other options and distributers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The design of the IC-718 is long in the tooth, but it's still a good radio. It is difficult to interface with a computer, but you're probably not interested in that right now.

You'll need a 12 Volt (actually 13.8 Volt) power supply capable of at least 20 Amps continuous, or 25 Amps intermittent for transmitting. Most of today's switching supplies are as quite as the linear ones. Theyr'e also a lot lighter and usually a better bargain. For just receiving, a small 2 Amp supply will be sufficient. As with all of the older Icoms, the power connector is a 6 pin Molex.

As for an antenna, for just receiving, a ~50' length of wire run out the window to a nearby tree or other structure will give you plenty to listen to. You'll eventually want to build or buy a wire type antenna such as a dipole to go outside, or up in the attic if you live under the thumb of the HOA nazis. (We hate HOAs around here, if you haven't noticed.)

There's a lot to listen to on the shortwave bands besides hams. Some foreign broadcasters are still on the air and can give alternative views on world events, Ukraine in particular.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The design of the IC-718 is long in the tooth, but it's still a good radio. It is difficult to interface with a computer, but you're probably not interested in that right now.

You'll need a 12 Volt (actually 13.8 Volt) power supply capable of at least 20 Amps continuous, or 25 Amps intermittent for transmitting. Most of today's switching supplies are as quite as the linear ones. Theyr'e also a lot lighter and usually a better bargain. For just receiving, a small 2 Amp supply will be sufficient. As with all of the older Icoms, the power connector is a 6 pin Molex.

As for an antenna, for just receiving, a ~50' length of wire run out the window to a nearby tree or other structure will give you plenty to listen to. You'll eventually want to build or buy a wire type antenna such as a dipole to go outside, or up in the attic if you live under the thumb of the HOA nazis. (We hate HOAs around here, if you haven't noticed.)

There's a lot to listen to on the shortwave bands besides hams. Some foreign broadcasters are still on the air and can give alternative views on world events, Ukraine in particular.
View Quote

I looked at the manual for the IC-718 and saw that it was a
4 pin Molex.
 Did you look at the manual?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a page out of the 718 manual showing a 4 pin Molex

" />
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe the IC-718 is such an old design they it lived through 2 power cord generations. OP, please post pic of back of receiver.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a older model, so you'll have to check and see which power connector is required.

Something else you'll propably need is an antenna tuner. The SWR of even a perfectly tuned dipole will vary across the band, especially so on 75/80 and 40 Meters, so the tuner will be needed to bring it into the 1.0:1 to 2.0:1 range the radio can work with. Two types are available, manual and automatic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The Icom IC-718 can use a good single sideband filter.

Icom discontinued them, but one company sells some expensive replacements.

I recommend the 2100 Hz filter for single sideband.

http://www.inrad.net/product.php?productid=133&cat=68&page=1

The factory filter is 2400 Hz, but isn't even as good as the Inrad 2400 Hz filter and with few filters in the 718, the narrower 2100 Hz compensates very well remains wide enough for sideband.

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=68

The receiver will be quieter and much less noisy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
About now, OP is beginning to feel like he got the proverbial "free" pony.

Next come the halter, the bridle, the saddle, the grooming tools, the visits from the farrier and vet, the riding lessons, the horse trailer, the pickup truck to pull it with...
You get the idea.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
About now, OP is beginning to feel like he got the proverbial "free" pony.

Next come the halter, the bridle, the saddle, the grooming tools, the visits from the farrier and vet, the riding lessons, the horse trailer, the pickup truck to pull it with...
You get the idea.
View Quote

Haha just about how it feels right now.
I'll have to check the back and see if it's 4 or 6 pins.
I want to thank you folks for the recommendations though, it's gives me some options and reading to do.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I would put zero dollars into this rig after you secure a power cord. No filters, no tuners, no nothing. You can sell it used for $500 and get a used IC-7300 for $800 which is a much better option in every way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Go ahead and get your General. Throw up an antenna and you'll have a ball with it as it currently exists. Save your money for a future rig such as the Icom 7300. I have one and love it.

For future consideration, a fan dipole for 40 and 20 is easy and inexpensive to make. As a bonus, the 40 Meter element will also work on 15 Meters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I believe the IC-718 is such an old design they it lived through 2 power cord generations. OP, please post pic of back of receiver.
View Quote

This right here.^
There was a 4 pin, later model used a 6 pin, same config.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is the 6-pin connector.

https://powerwerx.com/hf6-molex-to-powerpole-adapter    6-pin

https://powerwerx.com/hf4-molex-to-powerpole-adapter    4-pin

But I've never seen a 718 with 4-pin.  

These adapters go to a Powerpole connection.  I suggest you retain that, and make all the rest of your
connections via Powerpole.  Look through the Powerwerx.com site for more Powerpole products.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Where in LA do you live?

IM is OK.

ETA what is your home situation? Yard? Trees?
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alex Jones has a regular show on HF 9.350 and 12.something IIRC
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#20]
WRMI in Okeechobee, FL relays foreign and domestic broadcasts on numerous frequencies. It's located in the middle of a cattle ranch. Complete schedule
The BBC still broadcasts on HF. Though aimed mostly at Africa and the Middle East, they can still be picked up over here when the propagation is right. They've also taken two of their Cold War stations out of mothballs and fired them up to beam toward Ukraine and Russia on 5.875 and 12.735 MHz.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one I bought a few years ago
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hf mobile is NOT the way to start your amateur radio adventure if you were to ask me. HF mobile, and making it work is more complex by far than operating as a base station.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#23]
To the Original Poster: did you ever look to see if you need the 6 pin or 4 pin molex on your 718?  And how are you doing on this project? Do you need any assistance with your "free pony"?   We all would be glad to help.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To the Original Poster: did you ever look to see if you need the 6 pin or 4 pin molex on your 718?  And how are you doing on this project? Do you need any assistance with your "free pony"?   We all would be glad to help.
View Quote

It's the 6 pin connector.

I'm currently gathering links and squirreling money away to get the project of the ground. I work 6 weeks on and a week of climbing cell towers so my time at home is limited.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's the 6 pin connector.

I'm currently gathering links and squirreling money away to get the project of the ground. I work 6 weeks on and a week of climbing cell towers so my time at home is limited.
View Quote

Rgr that.  Again if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]
The 6-pin connector is pretty common and it's easy to find cables on ebay or wherever. It's less common, but not impossible to find the bare connector and crimp pins. What I did that i found most useful was make some little flexible adapters from the 6-pin to a Powerpole.

Just to avoid confusion, only four of the pins are used for power... two positive, two negative. The remaining two pins are used in some radio/power supply combinations to have the radio switch on the power supply, but are otherwise unused.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The 6-pin connector is pretty common and it's easy to find cables on ebay or wherever. It's less common, but not impossible to find the bare connector and crimp pins. What I did that i found most useful was make some little flexible adapters from the 6-pin to a Powerpole.

Just to avoid confusion, only four of the pins are used for power... two positive, two negative. The remaining two pins are used in some radio/power supply combinations to have the radio switch on the power supply, but are otherwise unused.
View Quote

Quicksilver has the "shells" and pins to make your own Molex for $5. I have used them in the past an they are of good quality. But you only get one shot at making a Molex correctly. So get it right the first time.

6 ping molex shell with pins
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quicksilver has the "shells" and pins to make your own Molex for $5. I have used them in the past an they are of good quality. But you only get one shot at making a Molex correctly. So get it right the first time.

6 ping molex shell with pins
View Quote

I always buy extra pins because I'm so damned fumble-fingered.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I always buy extra pins because I'm so damned fumble-fingered.
View Quote

doesn't hurt to keep some on hand. Not to mention the little removal tool. As I mentioned, you can "mess up" a Molex fairly easy, and I have.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
doesn't hurt to keep some on hand. Not to mention the little removal tool. As I mentioned, you can "mess up" a Molex fairly easy, and I have.
View Quote

The connectors I bought had 6 pins, and you only use 4 so have a couple spares. I've also used salvaged pins & wires which worked fine. Having a molex pin crimp tool makes it super easy but its not too hard with needlenose pliers and solder.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]
My 718 that I bought several years ago just died, I had it out of service for about a year and a half while restoring a crank up/tilt down tower.
So all 3 of my HF radios are dead.....
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My 718 that I bought several years ago just died, I had it out of service for about a year and a half while restoring a crank up/tilt down tower.
So all 3 of my HF radios are dead.....
View Quote

That sucks. Perhaps replacing the capacitors could get you going again. There are kits available.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#33]
It seems the finals may be gone there is no transmit, sucks to wait this long to get back on the air and then you can't.
I'll check it out, thx
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It seems the finals may be gone there is no transmit, sucks to wait this long to get back on the air and then you can't.
I'll check it out, thx
View Quote

Are you certain?  When you say there is no transmit, what does that mean?  You do realize that in SSB mode that if you key the mike, there will be NO power output until you modulate the transmitter. Even a defective microphone will prevent the rig from putting out any power in the SSB mode. If you plug a key into the CW key port, and close that key, then does the rig put out any power?
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#35]
No output on a dummy load while transmitting on CW and voice. I'm aware, been doing this for years.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No output on a dummy load while transmitting on CW and voice. I'm aware, been doing this for years.
View Quote

Where was it stored?

I've seen IC-718's lose transmit from tarnished / corroded coaxial jumper connectors on the circuit boards.

Cleaning them with a pencil eraser has fixed at least one of them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#37]
It was still sitting on the desk inside my house. I'll pop the hood again and see if I can see some corrosion. I am supposed to drop it off Friday for repair, I'd love to get it working though so I could fix one of my other radios as a backup
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Radio repair guy just called me and he got my IC718 going, bad power output regulator according to him.
I'll pick it up sometime this week and see what it does, will be good to be back on the air
I also dropped off a Kenwood TS 430S but elected not to repair it so it will be sold for parts/as is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Radio repair guy just called me and he got my IC718 going, bad power output regulator according to him.
I'll pick it up sometime this week and see what it does, will be good to be back on the air
I also dropped off a Kenwood TS 430S but elected not to repair it so it will be sold for parts/as is.
View Quote

Sounds good.

The TS-430S is really old.

It came out in 1983 and never had a great receiver.

The TS-440S replaced it in 1986.

The TS-140S came out in 1987 and ran into the 1990's.

The TS-440S was higher end than the 430 and the 140 was a lower cost model.

The 430 was one of Kenwoods early solid state models, which it made it pricey, but wasn't a great radio.

The 440 was in the same price class, with a better receiver and updated to justify the price.

The 140 was designed as lower cost model, that was up to date at the time and sold really well due to its price.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#40]
I also have a  TS820s I may get rid of as well. I need to rebuild the PTO on my TenTec Omni C for a backup radio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top