Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2019 9:04:16 PM EDT
Not really... but it's pretty bad when the hogs just take a nap under the feeder. I've killed about 30 in the past month but they just keep coming...lol.

I suppose it's a good problem to have.

Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a lot of bacon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Their laughing at you

Just kidding

Keep shooting them bass turds
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Prime spot for an application of tannerite?
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you do with them? Are they edible?
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you do with them? Are they edible?
View Quote
Young ones and sows yes, older boars, no way...
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Prime spot for an application of tannerite?
View Quote
Sandwiched In a coffe can, surrounded by roofing nails .......
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Would love to join you in your quest to eliminate this problem.  Ammo and beer is on me
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep slaying 'em
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Young ones and sows yes, older boars, no way...
View Quote
Some of the most delicious wild boar I've ever eaten has come from giant old wild boars.  It's time for this myth to die.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not really... but it's pretty bad when the hogs just take a nap under the feeder. I've killed about 30 in the past month but they just keep coming...lol.

I suppose it's a good problem to have.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/gTJYCI.jpg
View Quote
Wow, definitely a nice problem. Where in FL are you? Hogs seem to avoid my general area since there’s not a hell of a lot of available water unless you get close to the rivers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some of the most delicious wild boar I've ever eaten has come from giant old wild boars.  It's time for this myth to die.
View Quote
Interesting... I can't give first hand testimony but...

I have a couple friends, including a BIL, that told me directly they tried cooking up larger boars in the past... rank smell throughout the kitchen and house, lingering smell like after frying fish or shrimp... I've taken their word for it. Hearing it once is one thing, three or so times... makes me believe it only because they claimed it first hand.

Then again I suppose it's quite possible for a boar to be edible... but based on their (old loaner boar) rank ass smell in the field, WAY WORSE than ANY sow I've ever encountered, coupled with directly related stories, I'm not even going to try it.

I could very well be wrong though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow, definitely a nice problem. Where in FL are you? Hogs seem to avoid my general area since there’s not a hell of a lot of available water unless you get close to the rivers.
View Quote
"Hog County".... aka Sumter County.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a couple friends, including a BIL, that told me directly they tried cooking up larger boars in the past... rank smell throughout the kitchen and house, lingering smell like after frying fish or shrimp... I've taken their word for it. Hearing it once is one thing, three or so times... makes me believe it only because they claimed it first hand.

Then again I suppose it's quite possible for a boar to be edible... but based on their (old loaner boar) rank ass smell in the field, WAY WORSE than ANY sow I've ever encountered, coupled with directly related stories, I'm not even going to try it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope your not wrong. A veterinarian friend butchered a older bull once and tried the steaks and they were rank smelling but surprisingly tender if you could get past the funk taste and smell. Billy Goat is even worse. That's the most awful smell I have ever smelled cooking. I have tried the vinegar soak and it somewhat works but makes the meat taste strange unless you marinade it to the point all you taste is spices. Now I have friend that killed a boar that was old enough his balls shriveled and he was quite tasty but he no longer had the rank boar smell. But I have never seen one like that in the wild.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a feeling the upstate NY regional favorite, spiedie marinade, would be perfect to cover up any bad flavor. That stuff practically cooks the meat with the vinegar in it. If any of y’all are around the Binghamton area, check out Lupos Spiedies.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#16]
We were infested with hogs and went on a mission to eradicate as many as possible.  Little did we know, the hogs were keeping the bear at bay.  As soon as the hog population was under control, the black bear moved in and started destroying feeders.  The bear also seemed to chase the deer out.

Be careful what you wish for...
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#17]
The big old boars I have shot have been some of the nastiest smelling SOBs.

One outfitter I used to go to in Texas would donate the meat from any hogs killed to the local food bank. The food bank would not take the meat from the boars. They said nobody would eat it and ended up throwing it away.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We were infested with hogs and went on a mission to eradicate as many as possible.  Little did we know, the hogs were keeping the bear at bay.  As soon as the hog population was under control, the black bear moved in and started destroying feeders.  The bear also seemed to chase the deer out.

Be careful what you wish for...
View Quote
Interesting... I can see that happening.

The location I'm hunting has "almost" no bears, I say almost because in about five years I've seen just one on my game cam.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Hog County".... aka Sumter County.
View Quote
Nice man! I live in Tampa! Been taking them down in Wachula & Myaka, and have been up to Brooksville once. You have land up there or do you lease?
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a feeling the upstate NY regional favorite, spiedie marinade, would be perfect to cover up any bad flavor. That stuff practically cooks the meat with the vinegar in it. If any of y’all are around the Binghamton area, check out Lupos Spiedies.
View Quote
Spiedies marinade is the jam. My wife is from Syracuse and she got me hooked on it. Every once in awhile Aldi will have the NY State Fair Spiedie marinade and we’ll stock up and buy a couple dozen bottles. Used it on deer and hog back strap and it’s super tasty. Haven’t tried it on a boar but it is prob strong enough to hide any gamey taste
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice man! I live in Tampa! Been taking them down in Wachula & Myaka, and have been up to Brooksville once. You have land up there or do you lease?
View Quote
I have free exclusive access to a ranch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Spiedies marinade is the jam. My wife is from Syracuse ...
View Quote
I'm from Syracuse and Spiedie marinade is great on everything!
I like to marinade cheapy steaks and then throw 'em on the grill.
I could see it working on pork.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope your not wrong. A veterinarian friend butchered a older bull once and tried the steaks and they were rank smelling but surprisingly tender if you could get past the funk taste and smell. Billy Goat is even worse. That's the most awful smell I have ever smelled cooking. I have tried the vinegar soak and it somewhat works but makes the meat taste strange unless you marinade it to the point all you taste is spices. Now I have friend that killed a boar that was old enough his balls shriveled and he was quite tasty but he no longer had the rank boar smell. But I have never seen one like that in the wild.
View Quote
Taste of the meat on large boars depends on the care taken during cleaning. All the nastyness that’s on the outside must not touch the meat. If you touch the outside with your knife or hands, you gotta wash them before you touch the meat. Also on boars is a pocket around and in front of the penile sheath that holds the most foul smelling secretions on the hog. You must take care to not get any of that on the meat, your hands, or knife. Wash your knife often, if you’re using only one knife.

I use at least two knives. One is a box cutter. I use it to skin the hog. I’ll wear rubber gloves, and change them several times throughout the process. Key thing with hogs, or any wild game for that matter, is to keep the meat clean and keep it cold.

Once the meat is on ice, drain the water each day and put fresh ice on it. I’ll do this for several days until I process the meat.

Never killed a big boar I didn’t like. When properly taken care of they are excellent eating. The absolute worst hog meat I ever had was off a sow which had been run hard by dogs before I killed her. Her meat was nasty due to her being run hard for several miles prior to killing her. The adrenaline and chemical build up in the meat couldn’t be overcome by clean processing. Any hog killed under that same circumstances would likely have the same issue.

So, my experience is that if you take care during processing to keep the meat clean, keep it cold, and avoid contamination by touching it with dirty hands or knife, you’ll likely enjoy some good eating.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Taste of the meat on large boars depends on the care taken during cleaning. All the nastyness that’s on the outside must not touch the meat. If you touch the outside with your knife or hands, you gotta wash them before you touch the meat. Also on boars is a pocket around and in front of the penile sheath that holds the most foul smelling secretions on the hog. You must take care to not get any of that on the meat, your hands, or knife. Wash your knife often, if you’re using only one knife.

I use at least two knives. One is a box cutter. I use it to skin the hog. I’ll wear rubber gloves, and change them several times throughout the process. Key thing with hogs, or any wild game for that matter, is to keep the meat clean and keep it cold.

Once the meat is on ice, drain the water each day and put fresh ice on it. I’ll do this for several days until I process the meat.

Never killed a big boar I didn’t like. When properly taken care of they are excellent eating. The absolute worst hog meat I ever had was off a sow which had been run hard by dogs before I killed her. Her meat was nasty due to her being run hard for several miles prior to killing her. The adrenaline and chemical build up in the meat couldn’t be overcome by clean processing. Any hog killed under that same circumstances would likely have the same issue.

So, my experience is that if you take care during processing to keep the meat clean, keep it cold, and avoid contamination by touching it with dirty hands or knife, you’ll likely enjoy some good eating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah right! Down here some poultry farmers toss the dead birds in a pile and hogs eat the birds. Mainly the Asian variety that are above the state laws. Even the little sow pigs smell rank. The big boars are even worse. No mater how long you soak and then milk soak they still smell rank. But I guess it's like the ole saying if you get by the smell you got it licked! But the Asians have no problem eating them. Maybe it's just what your used too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Not sure where this guy ranks as far as being big, but he tasted pretty good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top