Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2021 10:49:50 AM EDT
First, some background.

Last year, a buddy of mine talked me into going on a bike trip. I pulled my 25 year old mountain bike out of storage. It was in not-so-good shape. I put a little money, time and elbow grease into it and got it ready for the trip. Except for one big hill, I enjoyed that trip more than I ever thought I would.

Ever since, I began thinking that a little help would make the ride that much more enjoyable. So, I started researching ebikes. My first thought was to buy a kit and install it on my old bike (kinda like those people who put flashy rims on a 1995 beater car), but I decided to skip the hassle and complication, and for a few (hundred) dollars more, get this from Amazon.  

The bike is called the Vivi S2, and I was able to get it from Amazon for $549 with a coupon code.

About me: I am pushing 50. I am not, nor have I ever been, a "mountain biker". I am not "extreme" nor "gnarly". I can't recall ever being "stoked". I don't refer to people as "dudes". I avoid energy drinks, don't wear spandex, and am not "extreme" in any sense of the word. I just wanted something that would help me to enjoy riding a bike without requiring me to wear myself out. So, no sweet jumps, gnarly speed runs, no technicals, nothing like that. Just needed something that would let me sit my hind end down and pedal, and give me a little boost when necessary.

Once the bike arrived, I set out to begin assembly. There is nothing difficult about assembly, but the directions were somewhat confusing. For example, it said to set the fork of the bike so that the caliper was facing forward. This being the first disc brake bike I owned, I didn't understand what a forward or backward caliper looked like. After a little detective work, I figured it out. A better way of putting it would be, "Set the fork so that the caliper is on the same side of the bike that it is on the rear brake." That would make far better sense.

Despite this, the manual was NOT written in broken English. Everything was understandable from a linguistic standpoint. Some of the pictures and illustrations were of other bikes, but they were still useful, if somewhat small and lacking detail.

Everything else was straightforward. I started looking at the bike and evaluating it before I took my first ride (battery was still charging).

Things I liked and disliked to this point:

Finish is excellent. It's not high gloss, which is fine (that's the style these days). Everything looks powder-coated, nice and even. Welds are neat and solid. The seat wasn't bad, but I replaced it with a fat-boy seat anyway. Pedals are plastic, seem sturdy enough, but I'd like alloy.

Hardware: Most of it looks good, but the retaining pin for the front wheel screws on with a plastic nut, which I do NOT like. I may attempt to find a metric wing nut and washer in the same size and replace it. I just don't trust plastic hardware, and it seems a lot to ask from a piece of plastic to hold the front wheel on. Nevertheless, I haven't had any issues with it in the short time I've ridden the bike.

Appearance: I had considered the Ancheer in the same price range, but it looks like an old man's bike (said the almost 50 year old man). This looks way better than that. It has a blackout treatment on the wheels, appropriately knobby tires, modern looking color scheme and graphics, and just an all around look of quality. Not that the Ancheer isn't, but I much prefer the appearance of this. The down tube is over-sized and squared, which adds strength, but it just looks good too.

Tool kit: You get a multi-use bike wrench/Phillips screwdriver, several Allen wrenches, and a double ended two-sized wrench that looks like it was cast in someone's backyard, not forged, complete with flashing around the outside edge. They're functional, if not the highest quality. I used them a little to assemble and adjust the bike and they worked fine. I put them in a pouch which I attached to the bike, and will keep them there in case they are needed.

Battery: Can charge on or off the bike. I just use the key (don't forget to find this in the box, VERY important) to remove the battery, take it in the house, and charge it. The key does NOT enable or disable the battery. It simply locks the battery to the bike to prevent theft. There is a switch on the opposite side that turns the battery on and off, as well as a charging jack with a rubber cover to keep dirt out. The whole setup is very slick and works well. I charged the battery with the switch in both on and off position, and it didn't seem to make any difference. Also, there's a meter on the side of the battery that indicates charge when you push a button.

First ride: Caveat: I am 6'3" and about 290 270 lbs. (after a stint with Covid, I lost 20 lbs! Yay! But, I did ride it some at 290 and it worked for me without issue) So, I tend to be the "extreme" case for a bike like this. If it can haul my fat carcass, it should theoretically only work better for people who are smaller. If the durability is good enough for me, a 150 pound rider should have NO problems whatsoever, lol. And likely, the range and power of the motor will seem greater as well.

First, though, the brakes needed some adjustment, which I did at the brake levers by turning the small adjusters where the cables came out. Nothing more was necessary. The brakes have a curious tendency when you begin using them: when going down a long hill, if you apply the brakes evenly, without increasing or decreasing pressure on the levers, it will feel like the brakes are a bit inadequate. But, after a short time, they will "heat up" and begin to grip better. There will be a noticeable "slow down" a few seconds after applying the brakes. This can be disconcerting if you're not prepared for it.  This tendency decreased the more I rode, suggesting that the brakes needed a break in period. They work smoothly now from the time you apply them. But, beware that you don't go over the handlebars if you're not ready for this.

Also, the more I rode, the more the rear caliper made noise, even when I wasn't braking. It might need adjusted a bit more, or the pads may need scuffed, or both. Regardless, it's a minor issue.  This too, eventually diminished through use to the point of only an occasional squeak.

What wasn't a minor issue was how far out of adjustment the derailleurs were. The front was so far out that I shifted down once and the chain came off completely. I wasn't far from home, so I just limped back in throttle mode (electric to the rescue!). I adjusted the limiter screws until they lined up correctly and haven't had a problem since. The rear was better, in that the chain never jumped off, but it occasionally "slips" a gear while pedaling. It helps to move the shift lever up or down a notch to make sure the derailleur lines up correctly over the sprocket. I still need to adjust this a little more for it to be perfect.

As far as the ride is concerned, I replaced the seat with a suspension seat made for fat boys like me, which really smooths out the bumps. The tires are rated for 45-60 PSI, and I only inflated to 45. This probably hurts my battery range, but it makes for a comfortable ride and slightly better grip on loose surfaces. I may compromise and set it at 50 or so. I figured the front shock would be a gimmick, but it really does absorb a lot of vibration and bumpiness and makes the ride much less fatiguing.

Electric power is nice, if your expectations are reasonable. This bike cost under $600, so it's not a hot rod. In my area, there are lots of hills. The motor won't take me up hills on throttle only, but it makes it easy to pedal up them. 250 watts equates to about 1/3 of a horsepower, so keep your expectations realistic and you won't be disappointed. This is an assistive motor more than one that does the work for you. That said, the only time I pedaled was when it seemed like I would lose sufficient momentum that my speed would drop below 10 mph. My last ride had elevation changes of over 100 feet, and grades as steep as 7%. I was able to pedal up them with minimal-to-moderate effort, as long as I was in first gear. I would classify my "in-shape" level as better than "Little Debbie Corp. sends me a Christmas card every year" but not quite as good as, "Doesn't huff and puff after walking up a flight of stairs".

Nevertheless, I rode for well over an hour on this thing, up and down hills, big stupid grin on my face, still getting some exercise, and only came home because it was getting dark (I set out to run the battery down and failed). You can buy more powerful bikes, but you'll probably have to go up a couple hundred dollars, and for me, it's worth the savings to pedaling a little bit, since I could use the activity anyway.

That said, on flat, level ground, the thing will move even fat boys along at a brisk pace. I could easily hit 18 mph (GPS confirmed) on throttle only on level ground, depending on whether the wind was at my back or I was driving straight into it. Either way, the bike moved along briskly without feeling unsafe. If you live in an area where the land is almost completely flat, you could do lots of local commuting with this thing, not having to pedal a bit. You can go up small grades with throttle mode only, and if things steepen up, you can pedal once or twice to keep the momentum up. In all, I rode about 7 miles on my first "real" ride on this bike and while I did get some exercise, I wasn't sore, wrung out, or exhausted when I got home. Perfect.

Pedal assist mode is interesting if you've never ridden a bike like this before. You start pedaling, and think, "This thing isn't working at all." Then all of a sudden, the pedals get really light and you surge forward. There were three levels to pedal assist, and I always used the highest level. Basically, in all three modes, the motor kicks in shortly after you start pedaling. In mode 1, the assist cuts out at 11 mph. In mode 2, it cuts out at roughly 15. In mode three, it kept pulling as fast as my legs would let me pedal and until I topped a rise and started speeding down the other side, I could never "outrun" the motor. It can be a bit disconcerting, because sometimes the motor doesn't shut off immediately when you stop pedaling. Squeezing the brakes stops the motor immediately, though.

About the only thing I can see that I DON'T like concerning the electric assist is that it's hard going from pedal assist to throttle mode should you need to do it quickly. Depending on which level of PA you're in, you might have to hit the button 3X before it switches (it's sequential). In addition, you'll likely be changing gears, so it can be a bit like driving a dual stick 18 wheeler...lol.  For example, starting of pulling a bike trailer, I put it in throttle mode so I could start the power immediately, but once up to speed, had to let the throttle go and push the "+" button on the left a couple of times to activate the level of pedal assist I wanted. Quite fiddly, but I did get better at it as I messed with it more.

On the last leg of the journey, I hit another flat and switched to throttle mode, and confirmed that the top speed was still the same, meaning the battery wasn't significantly down on power after going 7 miles. The battery meter bobbed between 2-3 bars out of 5, which suggested that the battery was somewhere around half charged. Again, I set out to drain the battery and after over an hour of going up and down hills using pedal assist and riding throttle-only, I failed to do it.

The major test was a bike ride that I took with my buddy right after I recovered from a particularly nasty case of COVID. I wanted to get out of the house, get some sun, get some fresh air, and I really didn't care about battery power or range. So, we did a trip on a local rail trail which is mostly flat ground. 10.3 miles, and I used mostly throttle mode and let the bike carry me like a lazy fat person. Every so often I would switch to pedal assist, but I didn't set out to get much exercise that day as I did just wanting to have some fun and fresh air. I still got tired pretty easily so I relied on the motor a lot.

Pic from that trip.

When I got back to the truck, the meter was hovering between 2-3 out of 5 bars power reserve. Not bad. The next 3-4 days, I rode around town doing more testing. Some of that with a trailer hooked to the bike (we have a bike-camping trip coming up next month and I'm in the process of building and testing a trailer...maybe a build thread on that one next?).

All in all, without taking it easy, and using throttle mode most of the time, the battery ended up dying right at 14.75 miles. Advertised range in pedal assist is supposed to be 17-18 miles, and considering the way I treated the battery, I probably could have gotten this had I been a little more careful. Even so, if you can do your commuting and get back to an outlet before 15 miles, battery range shouldn't be a problem.

Stability is great. At one point, i was blasting down a paved road at full throttle when, lo and behold, the pavement ended and it turned to slightly-smaller-than-golf-ball-sized gravel. I was afraid I was going to wipe out, but the bike was very composed (largely due to the front shock, I imagine) and didn't show any signs of sliding or tipping. I was able to apply the brakes and get the speed down safely and quickly without issue.

E-bikes obviously have different purposes and designs to suit different people, and this is one type. If you're wanting something with major wattage and horsepower, there are certainly options available, but you're going to pay a lot more for them. In this price range, most people could probably scrape together enough cash to get one and in my opinion, it is well-made and effective enough to be worth the money, at least so far. If anything changes, I'll be back here to update my review.

Probably the best summation of this is to say, it's an excellent bike for non-bike people. Could a bike/ebike enthusiast look at this and find a lot wrong with it? Probably so, but I don't care about bikes, personally...they're a means to an end for me, just a way to get out, get some activity, maybe get to a camping spot, and have some fun.

There are lots of bikes sold under the Vivi brand on Amazon, and many of them are very similar to the one I got. If the specs are the same, I imagine you could expect similar performance out of most of them. This particular bike isn't available on Amazon any more that I can find, but you can still get it on eBay for a comparable price (around $550 or so).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVI-S2-26-Mountain-Bicycle-Electric-Bike-21Speed-W-Removable-Li-Battery-36V/265074327800?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3db7a940f8:g:d7wAAOSwt2df9ETZ&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkXKoKcbeZcOrOku%252BoOBl%252BS9xKydDBQ%252BGW8rax%252FV8jIgIQ2cwG8XzFxiBMFb7N9cFMFDO45Mcq1mxeC1HokO%252FgxPJh0sAW%252BZGncS%252Bp5B9f26cZyqvz93avkS3Xb79BD3Z3%252BeV4MZm9FOkR83CePM6Tb5buYQ7zQStFAZyxejItnVe9UWOEJoUSc%252FF48KC%252BUQtRMSXeU5WNVTstWwP5h6FXDfT860LfJJXRA3Z3C07qhFaaKuKGPQ2lECBxIL2Cwok%252F8LB8Bg2UX0ryjWFzKsFxilOYg7Xtcqi%252F84ikSMhk8%252B1TuylsEGDIdoRWmsxmAda5YXZryy%252BoXbMMi5ArrGHOKrXi5gV12F5pXGUfB9fovdNyzjbOe1MYqS4nR91ffXCpnh7oRTo%252Fk4su4argHdWx0OKvIFqIGRwV4ImYvSv3fY3BcG7E1Q7RsX%252FSH2DYSpeLVvCIJ4iNme%252FkknZfgZYVH4bsvSKDdPPlFPtKLHh3rcBTC4ufaaehMHc8PNAL3hDlkpFRs%252ByXAXh6mOHgMo4ZaY6kjXZVo9S78SFy0KDedrEJaAtUT1Y85BhCa92%252FipBizploIrmtgKXob%252BqkC8mBD%252FRebx05cE8YBWENHEUqsmswzsjFUslmj3mTG5%252BXZ1IF0SO4slepvqbaQ%252FpfTv3a2ZzSXhwL46DqIdMg09rwAd4ayLz9lCmN%252FsLVxCVpNmDBwMJLR888BeXL%252B5aO2mTeabGFtNSohJHbmhn2swS%252BCI6btdORheyN0J7AKWi6iuIHUW85xsE8SZPZlA4mjmgGRQ%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A265074327800d26d765077d343dea9bc3bb7bafbaf80%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

ETA: Forgot to mention that you get a LED headlight, horn, AND bell already installed! LOL.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up

I am currently looking into a few as well.  I have a regular bike, but an electric would be nice for certain rides and playing around with.

I have been looking at ones a little higher priced than what you got, but still nowhere near the top.  These are still considered budget bikes at $1500-1800 but have bigger motors and a little better components as i want to ride these on doubletracks etc.. Figured would be nive to run errands around town as well

Rad Power RadRover Seems like a good option with really good reviews.  Only thing that concerns me is 275LB weight limit which i am very close to

CSC Electric Bike Has hydraulic brakes compared to mechanical of above as well as fork lockout and some other minor upgrades.  This is the one i am leaning towards as weight limit is 330LBS and it is less than $200 more
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's interesting to see how this market went from "didn't exist" a few years ago to making specialized ebikes for power, speed, off-road, etc.

I see that Rad Rover come up time and time again. Very popular.

Like I said, for my purposes, I've been more than thrilled with this one and am just amazed at how much I enjoy riding it.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that there'll be no major catastrophes, but so far it just works great.

As far as the weight limit, I was well over the weight limit of the Vivi (I think it was 270-275 as well, and I rode it quite a bit when I was up around 300).  It seemed to just shrug it off. It never felt wobbly, loose or inadequate for holding my weight, and the motor still has decent power even for my hefty frame.

If you're looking at getting a more expensive one, I'd say go for it and don't worry.

I think the weight limits are probably a suggestion more than a hard and fast rule, but if some 400 pounder gets on one and hurts themselves, the company has to have SOMETHING to point to to protect themselves.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
good point on the weight limit.  Probably just CYA.

I am looking at one in that range for my wife and just sent her the link for the one you got.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Vivi also makes folding and step-thru designs as well with the same basic mechanicals. Most are pretty reasonably priced (under $700)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vivi+ebike&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I also read several positive reviews on the Ancheer models which are pretty similar. Just comes down to a matter of preference.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I am excited for this tech to get cheaper, which I'm sure it will. I used to ride a lot in Florida, and having something to help when you're heading straight into the wind or going up one of the intercoastal bridges would have been awesome.

Where I am now though, most of the trails are walking only so it's not worth it.

Also be careful with batteries. I've read more than one report of some random batteries catching fire while being charged up and it makes a mess of things.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Good write up.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Terrific review... I am interested in Ebikes.

2 Falls ago, I test rode one a local Bike shop when I was there buying a Giant, Anthem I think it is.
The one I rode was like 4200, plus tax and any accessories they convince you you have too have...  
I'm sure they have dropped some  in price and the gear/tech has matured some as well.

Previous to that I had preconceived ideas and I didn't think I'd care for an Ebike. I was wrong.  I loved it, but it was way outta my range.
Maybe in a few more years, I can get one.

One thing you mentioned that I was curious about was the Throttle modes. Did it actually propel it self where you did not need to pedal, like a Mo-Ped???
The one I test rode did not have that, that or I did not see/know how to activate it.

I also wondered about getting an extra batt and tossing it in backpack. I have bad luck with Batts and could see mine going dead or bad.
Maybe its not even a concern, just another curiosity.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if I'm comparing apples to oranges but the site I thought had good bike prices wants about 1k more for an ebike. That's @ Bikesdirect and that's a pretty substantial bit higher than OP bike.
I really hate to be an early tester but I have been seeing them in other countries for a few years now. Wonder if its time to pull the pin.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Terrific review... I am interested in Ebikes.

2 Falls ago, I test rode one a local Bike shop when I was there buying a Giant, Anthem I think it is.
The one I rode was like 4200, plus tax and any accessories they convince you you have too have...  
I'm sure they have dropped some  in price and the gear/tech has matured some as well.

Previous to that I had preconceived ideas and I didn't think I'd care for an Ebike. I was wrong.  I loved it, but it was way outta my range.
Maybe in a few more years, I can get one.

One thing you mentioned that I was curious about was the Throttle modes. Did it actually propel it self where you did not need to pedal, like a Mo-Ped???
The one I test rode did not have that, that or I did not see/know how to activate it.

I also wondered about getting an extra batt and tossing it in backpack. I have bad luck with Batts and could see mine going dead or bad.
Maybe its not even a concern, just another curiosity.

View Quote

The one I have has five modes, basically.

Power off mode works just like a regular bicycle. Same rolling resistance, etc. Motor doesn't run; you have to pedal. Of course, it's a bit heavier due to battery and motor, but not overly so. You could even remove the battery and ride it like that, and it would effectively just be a bike.

Next mode is throttle mode. Twist the grip, and you take off. No pedaling required unless you are on very steep ground. In throttle mode only, you can go 17-18 mph or so on level ground. That's "moped" mode, like you were talking, This obviously eats the battery the fastest.

Pedal Assist Mode 1 will sense when you start pedaling and kick the motor on to help you, all the way up to 10-11 mph. The motor doesn't shut off, then, it just won't push any faster. Shortly after you stop pedaling, or the instant you hit the brakes, the motor shuts off and you free-wheel until you pedal again, and then the motor kicks on again and assists you up to 10-11 mph and then maintains speed until you stop pedaling.

Pedal Assist Mode 2 is exactly the same, but will continue to supply power up to 15-16 mph or so.

Pedal Assist Mode 3 is also exactly the same, but will continue to supply power, if it can, no matter how fast you pedal. I never "outran" the motor until I topped a rise and started downhill, and at that point, I couldn't feel it pull any more.

Hope this clarifies how it it works. If you have other questions, just ask.

As for batteries, you certainly could buy an extra and actually carry it on the rack or in a pack, but keep in mind, they are pricey. I understand that range anxiety is a thing, lol, and if you were commuting regularly for long distances, you might want to bring an extra battery. But, 14-15 miles is more than adequate for any situation I'm likely to encounter since I live in a small town where everything is close together, and I'm fairly certain that I could probably extend that range a bit by being more careful. That's several trips to the convenience and dollar stores, as well the hardware store and visiting some of my customers downtown as well.  

But, everyone has a different situation and requirements. Maybe for the cost of the extra battery pack, you could get a bike that just had a much larger battery capacity to begin with and not have to worry about switching out. Something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know if I'm comparing apples to oranges but the site I thought had good bike prices wants about 1k more for an ebike. That's @ Bikesdirect and that's a pretty substantial bit higher than OP bike.
I really hate to be an early tester but I have been seeing them in other countries for a few years now. Wonder if its time to pull the pin.
View Quote

I had reservations about buying such a "cheap" bike, but also knew I could never justify paying four figures for one. Like I said, I don't particularly like bikes. I'm not into them and I don't know much about them, but I am pleased with the quality of the Vivi so far and have enjoyed riding it very much.

I'm going to see how it holds up and whether or not I continue to want to use it. If I still like it after a time, I might upgrade to something better, but then again, if this one continues to meet my needs, there's really no reason for me to as long as I still enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#11]
This Ancheer has very similar specs to the Vivi as far as volts/amps/watts. The power controls are identical, as are many of the mechanical parts. Probably made in the same factory, too.

This guy does a 1000 mile review of his and it held up very well. Also does some good demonstrations of the speed and power of it.

Ancheer Eshion Electric Bicycle REVIEW after the First 1000 miles AKA Cyclamatic

Battery only range test:

What is the Range of an Electric Bicycle - Full Throttle ANCHEER AKA Eshion Cyclamatic

The motor sounds exactly like mine, lol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had an ebike for a couple of years now. All I can add is install a basket. This simple trick will make it great for short trips for small items. You can easily carry a couple bags of groceries (sixpack or couple of bottles too). Being able to park by the door and bypass traffic (to a degree) can sometimes make a trip even quicker.
For my area there is another huge bonus. The beach, Parking lots will be full, good luck if you are driving a car. Motorcycles have it better but bicycles, well, you can wheel them on to the beach with you if you like.
I have read an ebike provides as much exercise benefits as a regular bike, I am skeptical but regardless it is better than plopping down in a car and driving. Downsides are weather limited and idiots in cars (looking at 1/2 of arfcom here).
I have been curious about those amazon ebikes, I have a friend who is looking into one of them. I will relay your post to him.
Thanks OP and enjoy your new bike.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had an ebike for a couple of years now. All I can add is install a basket. This simple trick will make it great for short trips for small items. You can easily carry a couple bags of groceries (sixpack or couple of bottles too). Being able to park by the door and bypass traffic (to a degree) can sometimes make a trip even quicker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have the "milk crate attached to the rear rack" trick going on. It does increase the versatility!.

For my area there is another huge bonus. The beach, Parking lots will be full, good luck if you are driving a car. Motorcycles have it better but bicycles, well, you can wheel them on to the beach with you if you like.

Great observation! I figure there are probably a lot of "bike welcome" events in more populated areas.

I have read an ebike provides as much exercise benefits as a regular bike, I am skeptical but regardless it is better than plopping down in a car and driving. Downsides are weather limited and idiots in cars (looking at 1/2 of arfcom here).

I don't know. But I do know that I ride the ebike far more than I ever did my old one. And yes, I'm pedaling, getting exercise. The bad part is, around here, a bike is impractical for daily commuting, as WV is a pretty rainy state, and we don't have bike lanes. I guess I'm a bike guy now whether I want to admit it or not, but I'll never be able to go out along the highway and ride and feel safe or have fun doing it. Roads in my state are dangerous with just cars on them...they're narrow and windy. When you add bikes into the mix, you're opening up a whole other can of worms!

I have been curious about those amazon ebikes, I have a friend who is looking into one of them. I will relay your post to him.
Thanks OP and enjoy your new bike.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Doing a 10 mile ride today. I'll post pics!

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Yesterday was a great test for the Vivi. We did a trip on the local rail trail. Mostly fine packed gravel, fairly level surface.

Next month, a few of the guys and I are going to do a multi-night bike and camp trip in a local recreational area.

I've spent the past month or so designing and building a trailer to haul gear for that trip. Yesterday, I decided to try it out. (I'll do a separate thread on that one at some point).

Fully loaded, I had about 80lbs of gear on it. I invited the other two guys in my party to put whatever on it they wanted.

Some fly gear, waters, ice, coolers, and several adult beverages later, we were ready to go. The "take out" was 10.3 miles away

I have to say, the Vivi did very well. If I had to pedal manually the whole way, yesterday would have been a very long day. As it was, I coasted in to the end point on fumes (battery died within view of the recovery vehicle).

So, bike 50 lbs, trailer 30 lbs, cargo 80 lbs, rider 275 lbs. Total = 435 lbs.

65 lbs short of a quarter ton...lol.

I think that's an impressive result. But, I still think I could do better on range by making a couple tweaks.

First off, pedal assist mode isn't as efficient as I thought it was. It tends to be "surgy". First, you start pedaling, then the motor kicks in and wants to take you up to 11 mph on the lowest setting. It continues to pull for a second or two after you stop pedaling or until you hit the brakes. Basically, during that time, the motor is running at wide-open-throttle. Thus, you use a big pulse of energy, and when you stop pedaling, that energy dissipates, then you have to use another big pulse of energy.

Imagine what your gas mileage would be like driving down the road, and you kept pushing the gas until you got up to 55 mph, then let off the gas until it slowed to 50, then hit the gas again. That's how pedal assist works, and after pulling a load with it, I'm not as impressed with how it works.

With 2-3 miles remaining, I switched to throttle mode and the power consumption decreased dramatically. This was because I could "feather" the throttle and keep it at, say, 25%, instead of it wanting to do WOT surges and then cut off. I used the throttle to get up to a decent speed, then dialed it back a little and just cruised at a constant power level, keeping the momentum right where I wanted. Had I done this all day, I'm convinced I would have made it to the recovery vehicle with plenty of power to spare. From now on, I'll use pedal assist around town when battery isn't critical (it's just so convenient to have that power kick in when you want it) but when I'm trying to save power, I'll use the throttle to just maintain momentum.

The second thing was something I meant to do but forgot in the rush to get going yesterday...inflate the tires up to max pressure. I have 45 in the bike tires and 35 in the trailer tires. The bike maxes out at 60, and the trailer tires at 55, if I recall correctly. That would lower the rolling resistance all the way around...there were a couple times yesterday that I would encounter wetter areas of the trail and you could feel that you weren't getting a good return on the energy because the gravel wasn't as packed there. Harder tires would certainly help with that.

All in all, I have to say I'm still pretty happy with this, and I was impressed with how it did yesterday, and having it do do over again, I'd still buy it in a heartbeat.

I'll keep the updates coming.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm surprised it doesnt have quick release skewers for the wheels. Looks great towing your gear.

I have been thinking about getting one to ride around in the pits and around race tracks. With my hips and knee I have been leaning towards an e bike.

thanks for the write up!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm surprised it doesnt have quick release skewers for the wheels. Looks great towing your gear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You mean the bike or the trailer? The bike does have a quick release front. The trailer was built from what I had on-hand, and you can't remove or disassemble the wheels without the bearings coming out and falling all over the place, lol.

I have been thinking about getting one to ride around in the pits and around race tracks. With my hips and knee I have been leaning towards an e bike.

thanks for the write up!

That would be the perfect application for that. You could likely ride all day on a charge. They even make folding and step-thru ones that are more convenient.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a single wheel trailer on order for mine. Looking forward to more capacity. I am seriously considering some long distance multi day rides and a trailer will be necessary for that. Depending on which bike my range varies. If I throw an extra battery on the trailer and can recharge overnight I believe 100 mile days could be done with little effort. This opens up a lot of options.
Some ebikes have cruise control. It is awesome, pick a speed and set it, pedal a bit harder to decrease power usage or just go along for the ride. It switches the surge around. The motor is continuous and your legs vary in power.
If you are interested in long touring type bike rides there are actually quite a few routes out there. Some connect bike trails with sections on roads but for the most they try to stay off main roads and stay on bike paths, bike lanes etc.  911 trail for example
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I wish mine had cruise. That'd be perfect for the way I want to ride...steady momentum and pace. That'd be perfect.

I'll have to explore more trails around here. I know WV has a lot of rail trails. Just getting to them because everything's so spread out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Great review. I dont have an electric, but we use a instep child trailer to haul the dog and supplies. Easily hooks/disconnects to an axel hitch. Very lightweight and folds small.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#21]
OLD SCHOOL TAG!

Interesting!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The biggest jump in cost comes when you go from a hub drive to a mid-drive. After that you have to compare the components such as derailleur, brakes and fork. Another big jump in price is whether the battery is integrated into the frame or just mounts where the water bottle cage normally goes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice review, thanks for posting it.

Subscribed for trailer build how to.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#24]
That was an excellent review OP!

I've been interested in trying out an electric bike for a while now.  I was testing a nice Burely Coho XC single-track trailer last year with my regular mountain bike and anything over 60 pounds was a bear on the local biking trail!  Flat road was fine and I could max out the 75 pound limit.  But man, it would be nice to have that assist on some small hills!  

Have you considered getting a second battery?  Not sure of the weight, but with the trailer it might not be a bad option to double your range...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I picked up a trek Verve2 last year and used Stim monies and got the wife a Towney Go E bike.  The drive is Bosh and the battery looks similar to OP bike battery.  Very happy with both E bikes. I but paid way more so Op for the win.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That was an excellent review OP!

I've been interested in trying out an electric bike for a while now.  I was testing a nice Burely Coho XC single-track trailer last year with my regular mountain bike and anything over 60 pounds was a bear on the local biking trail!  Flat road was fine and I could max out the 75 pound limit.  But man, it would be nice to have that assist on some small hills!  

Have you considered getting a second battery?  Not sure of the weight, but with the trailer it might not be a bad option to double your range...

ROCK6
View Quote

Batteries be expensive, yo.

Yes, I have considered it and may at some point. As for right now, I've not run out of range with the stock battery. If I buy one, I want one that has more amps than 8ah battery that I have, and that'll run anywhere from $200-$250.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, this past weekend I did the longest test since I've bought the bike.

Wanted to see how far I could get on a charge using throttle instead of pedal assist, based on the premise that I'm smarter than the bike's computer. My policy was going to be, when I feel like I can't make it by pedal alone, I'll roll in a little throttle to help me out. When I need throttle for long stretches, I'll apply just enough power to help me maintain momentum, instead of surging up to 11 mph like the pedal assist does.

This time, I made sure my tires were aired up to a full 60 lbs, and the trailer tires which were rated for 35, I topped off at 40.

So, I started from the "put-in" point with a fully loaded trailer. I estimate between 65-70 lbs.

I packed enough gear for a very comfortable 2-3 day stay. Started off the journey with a full battery.

Biked in about 4.5 miles to our shelter.

That evening, took the bike and empty trailer out to gather firewood. Brought back maybe 80 lbs or so, went probably 1/2 mile total.

Next day, we decided to get up and go downriver to see if we could catch some fish. Got skunked, but the scenery was worth the trip.

Went probably 2.5 miles downstream and came back up to camp that evening.

The next morning, I decided to pedal out. My buddies were going to stay another night, but again were going to go downstream quite a ways in order to try to catch some fish.

Since that was the direction to my vehicle, I rode along with them, another 4.5 miles downstream. They stayed and fished, and I decided to head out to my vehicle, which was another 6.5 miles downstream. There was one major hill that stood between me and my vehicle. A 4% grade for 1/3 of a mile.  Doesn't sound like much, but I wondered how the bike (and myself) would pull the weight of the trailer, the bike, and me all the way up the hill.

Turns out, it was a piece of cake. I went right up it without stopping, rolling throttle in as I needed it. Made it to the top, which was over 2700 ft of elevation and stopped to snap a pic:

The rest of the trip was mostly downhill, so I had time to stop and enjoy the scenery.

The bike did great. I rode roughly 20 miles throughout the weekend, uphill and downhill sections, sometimes pulling cargo, sometimes not, etc. When I got back to my vehicle, the power indicator was still reading 4 out of 5 bars.

If you're careful, even in somewhat hilly terrain, even pulling cargo, you can ride a LONG time and still have battery to assist you.

Looking forward to going back this summer.

Notes on the bike to this point:

I did notice the front derailleur wasn't hitting the smallest sprocket, and I figured that would be handy for pulling hills, so with much adjustment, I finally got it to where it engages the "granny gear". Problem is, I lost the big sprocket by doing that, so now, I have low and medium but not high. I've tried every adjustment imaginable, and it appears that the derailleur (Shimano Tourney) just doesn't have the range to operate all three sprockets. I might mess with it some more later or read up on it, but I rarely used the big sprocket anyway, and for now, this is much better. I pulled a 12% grade rolling in the throttle as needed using the granny gear and was able to sustain forward progress with no problem.

Some of the zip ties they use to hold the cables and wires in place have broken. I've gone through and replaced the ones that failed. The broken ones seem awfully thin and my replacements thus far have held up well.

A nut cover on the left side of the rear wheel came off. Looks to be cosmetic, so no big deal. The one on the right is still in place.

Hard braking tends to pull the front wheel slightly to the left, because that's the side the caliper is on. I think I'd probably rather have rim brakes on the front, but it's not a big deal either way. Even going downhill with the trailer, the brakes were adequate enough that I felt safe.

Strange thing: on the bottom part of the rear triangle, I'm getting a large number of stone chips, but only on the right hand side. I don't understand why. Everywhere else, the paint is holding up well.

The thing is somewhat difficult to put on a bike rack with the battery in place, but it can be done.

No complaints on performance. The thing has enough power to propel you along on level ground very well and help out on any hill. Again, if you're realistic about what you're getting, you'll like this bike a lot.

I estimate I've put over 100 miles on the bike thus far and I'm still very happy with it. Battery performance hasn't diminished in the slightest, and the bike itself seems to be well put together and sturdy. Not only would I buy it again, I'd miss it a LOT if I got rid of it for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks OP, I enjoyed your trip report. Glad to see it did well. I do think ebikes are going to become more popular as they gain acceptance in the outdoor community. A relaxing ride on a very quiet ebike is a good way to spend a day.
Have you considered a single wheel trailer? I would think it would work better on dirt/gravel roads.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks OP, I enjoyed your trip report. Glad to see it did well. I do think ebikes are going to become more popular as they gain acceptance in the outdoor community. A relaxing ride on a very quiet ebike is a good way to spend a day.
Have you considered a single wheel trailer? I would think it would work better on dirt/gravel roads.
View Quote

A buddy of mine used a single wheel trailer on this trip. He got a bad wobble a few times. I thought for sure he was going to wreck. I tried his out and I don't feel comfortable with it.

The trailer I have I built myself. i've put about 40 miles on it so far over a variety of surfaces and it's worked great. I have less than $100 in it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#30]
The particular ebike I bought is no longer available on Amazon, but is still on eBay for $555, free shipping. I've noticed that the prices of low-end bikes have been increasing (due to the bike shortage, perhaps?).  This is a fantastic bargain. I've noticed that bikes with competitive specs are beginning to sell for stupid prices.

Vivi S2 (choose Type1 26 Inch 250w from the drop-down box)

Mine is still going strong, with no problems to speak of. Since the weather is improving around here, I've been using it extensively to run short errands, go to the store, etc. I've also been riding quite a bit for fun and the thing has proven to be very reliable.

Starting my bike trailer build thread this week!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I am in the process of buying an RV for family trips and a couple of these would be perfect for a rack on the back of the RV.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I just bought a Himiway StepThrough. Should be here by July

https://himiwaybike.com/products/all-terrain-step-thru-electric-bike
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#33]
cool! thanks for sharing, ive been curious about ebikes, im a big guy.. 6'5" 250 lbs
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm 6' 3" 270 right now, and this bike, while not powerful, seems to be up to the task of hauling me around. It's not loosening up or feeling shaky or anything,

I'm probably close to approaching 200 miles on it right now.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just bought a Himiway StepThrough. Should be here by July

https://himiwaybike.com/products/all-terrain-step-thru-electric-bike
View Quote

I have heard some good things on those.  Pretty powerful motor and decent specs for the price
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Still having fun with the Vivi. Now that gas availability is questionable, I'm using it instead of my 18 MPG SUV to run short errands and get around our small town, and it works great for that.

I've also done some inadvertent "torture testing". Remember, I'm not a small guy (270 lbs). I've hit a few bumps HARD with it and the bike doesn't even grunt.

I was on a side road not long ago that was just riddled with potholes. Going faster than I should have been, probably...came up on a particularly nasty patch at too high of a speed and had nowhere to go. I tried to "split" them but they overlapped and my back wheel hit HARD. Thought for sure I'd broken something, but stopped and checked and everything was good. Not even any bend in the rim.

Battery life still seems to be good. I haven't run it all the way down since before the big trip back in April, and I've ridden it a lot since then. I usually put around 3-5 miles on it an evening.  

No complaints so far. I'd still buy it again if given the chance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I like the idea of an ebike, but I keep going back and forth between E and a gas powered bike. Anybody have both? Like one more than the other?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like the idea of an ebike, but I keep going back and forth between E and a gas powered bike. Anybody have both? Like one more than the other?
View Quote

I didn't personally have a gas powered bike, but I know a guy who had one. The local authorities really harassed him about it, because it was over 50 cc's. They viewed it as a motorcycle and wanted him to get licensed. Last time I saw him, he had given up on the gas bike and bought a Harley, lol.

The good part was, the gas bike had a much lower cost to put together and he never had to worry about the battery needing replaced. I'd say on a long term basis, it was probably cheaper to run the gas bike too, as replacement batteries for my bike currently run about $200-250 or so. I doubt I'd go through that much gas in the same length of time that I wore a battery out. Never know, though.

The good thing about an ebike is, it is not readily apparent from appearances or sound whether or not it is a 250w, 500w, or 1000w. There are different legalities to each, but if you don't ride like a maniac, it likely will not be an issue. You could ride a 1000w ebike through town (which in some localities technically qualifies as a motorcycle) but if you kept it below 20 mph or so, nobody would know the difference.

If I lived on a farm somewhere, or along a really isolated stretch of road, I'd probably have a gas bike instead. But, if you think you'll ever want to use it for commuting or errands, an ebike would be far more versatile. I've ridden through town repeatedly and waved at the cop as I went by. He could care less.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Doggone it, Ronin.

I just spent a couple hours going down the "50 CC bike engine" rabbit hole on Youtube.

Probably going to get a cruiser bike and build one now.

I was wanting this thread to cost others money...not cost me more money.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Doggone it, Ronin.

I just spent a couple hours going down the "50 CC bike engine" rabbit hole on Youtube.

Probably going to get a cruiser bike and build one now.

I was wanting this thread to cost others money...not cost me more money.

View Quote

@squashpup

Hahaha...now you see why I keep going back and forth. Some companies advertise their bikes with a max speed around 45mph and a 250 mile range on a gallon of gas. A 5 gal jerry can could keep you going for a long time. Since this is kind of a survival forum, I mean it kind of makes sense to maybe have both, but both types have their pros and cons, as well as price tags. I still need armor, but decisions...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top