Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2018 11:58:30 AM EDT
With all of the shit (see what I did there) going on with Romaine and other leafy green contamination, is anyone growing lettuce hydroponically in your garage or home?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an Aerogarden for about a year. It grew great leaf lettuce, most tender and flavorful lettuce we've ever had. I've thought about getting another one
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I was growing all my greens in an aquaponics system for awhile and it worked great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Aquaponics?
Calling @c-4
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aquaponics?
Calling @c-4
View Quote
Mine is the aquaponics.  Green leafy anything grows extremely well in an aquaponics or hydroponics system.  I grew a ton of Red Russian kale this past summer, but they all seem to grow well.

I haven’t done hydroponics myself though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aquaponics usually includes fish, 223. (see what I did there? )

Hydroponics is plant only...

Now then I may be completely wrong about that,  as definitions change over time with new developments, but when I hear aquaponics, I think fish, or aquatic creatures, combined with plants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife planted a whole bunch of winter lettuce that we are still actively picking.
Seems to be very hearty in the early cold weather.

I would love to do an indoor herb setup for the cold months. What's the difference between aquaponics and hydroponics? I thought they were interchangable terms, but I clearly need an education.
Aquaponics usually includes fish, 223. (see what I did there? )

Hydroponics is plant only...

Now then I may be completely wrong about that,  as definitions change over time with new developments, but when I hear aquaponics, I think fish, or aquatic creatures, combined with plants.
Yes, aquaponics has fish or other aquatic creature that produces waste.  I've thought about freshwater shrimp.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
There a hydroponic farm close to us, we buy their greens locally, good stuff.

Circle A Farms
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Huh, that's pretty cool, thanks.

No way I'm gonna get the kids to eat food out of the fish tank, lol, will have to research hydroponics. Although they do love some sushi, maybe I can convince them that's the way the seaweed wrappers are made. Technically,  true.

We have a huge hydroponics supply place about half an hour away, you've inspired me to go check it out.
View Quote
There’s no difference in taste.  Aquaponics is way more difficult anyway since you have to keep the water quality high for the fish.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Huh, that's pretty cool, thanks.

No way I'm gonna get the kids to eat food out of the fish tank, lol, will have to research hydroponics. Although they do love some sushi, maybe I can convince them that's the way the seaweed wrappers are made. Technically,  true.

We have a huge hydroponics supply place about half an hour away, you've inspired me to go check it out.
View Quote
The grandkids think this is cool
Amazon Product
  • The AquaSprouts Garden is a self-sustaining aquarium & aquaponics kit for the home, office or school
  • Fish fertilize the plants. Plants clean the water for the fish. Fits any standard 10-gallon aquarium
  • Grow a variety of veggies, herbs, greens and decorative plants all year long

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think it was Longboat.

I found a thread started by Phurba and a follow-up by Longboat

I wasn't searching far back enough.  Time sure flies.

Getting started with Hydroponics (Thread by Phurba)
Hydroponic How-to (started by Longboat)

Looks like @USAFGrad and @Kallnojoy have both done hydroponics before.  I found threads, but some of the photos were not working.  Maybe they will chime in.
View Quote
I do indoor hydroponics utilizing the "kratky" method and grow a variety of (mostly) asian greens as well as tomatoes and cukes.

Did a thread on it sometime back but there wasn't a lot of interest.

If you have room for one 2x4-3 shelf rack, you can grow a surplus for your family with proper rotation.

Some old pics.

Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I found your old thread but the photophukit pics are dead. Maybe you can repost more here or try to restore them in the old thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top