Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 9:18:58 PM EDT
Hello just curious if anyone knows of a problem getting into and hunting Africa with a rifle that has a detachable magazine?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the country and what you plan on hunting. I don't think I've seen any of the dangerous game rifles with detachable mags - but then again, I've never been on a DG hunt unless you count leopard.
We had detachable mag hunting rifles on the farm in .243 and .308...the .308 was an R1, but I don't think that counts ahaha.
Due to the logistics in many parts of Africa (even in a built up country like SA), I'd say avoid detachable mags when going there. Internal mag only and you'll have less drama. Mags are definitely not viewed as a "consumable" over there as it is here. They are stupid expensive IF you find them. If you do plan to take something over there that takes mags, best keep it something common place - at least discuss it with the outfit you'll be hunting with.
Others here have WAY more experience with professional hunting in Africa than I do - I just lived there and hunted in the bushveld for meat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Most European rifles have detachable magazines that are flush fit. It's not an issue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I took a browning x bolt in .375 h&h magnum to Namibia. When/where are you going?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Detachable mags are fine, just keep the mag inside the gun unloaded of course and the extra in the case unloaded.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Im looking to get a new hunting bolt action and Ive been reading up on the Tikka T3's, it looks like the 5 round mag and AI mags in 7mm or 300 wm, makes the rifle have a profile similar to the Ruger Gunsite Scout so since this will be my rifle when I can get to Africa I was just wondering of any blatant problems with this set up or should I look at something else?  Oh and I am a lefty and am use to the short throw bolt on my A bolt (shot it since early 90's), Ive tried a remington and ruger but still prefer the short throw over these, and I would really preference an exposed detachable mag if no problems with it.  So would shipping the rifle or shells with a mag or two be a problem from here to there, again I know its a generalization but that's all Ive got to go on right now.  If the overwhelmingly decision is no exposed mags Im going to have to go on a new rifle hunt and then shoot and practice a lot longer to break the bolt throw habit Ive got now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
On all of my trips to South Africa I have taken rifles that used detachable mags(Sauer 90 and Sauer 200's) and had no problems what so ever.

I made sure I had a spare mag for each of them in my gun case which is padlocked when you travel and I was fine.

It also really makes loading and unloading the gun (which you do a lot) a snap.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top