BCM
User Panel

Hunting rifle slings (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/10/2020 9:05:45 PM EDT
I don’t see a topic for it.
What sling, do you recommend/prefer?
I’m looking for something for my Browning X-bolt. I prefer leather, padded and American Made. The rifle spends a lot of time slung as I hike my ass off looking for an elk to shoot. The Chinese made,crap,I have now, needs to go.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the Galco Tapered leather sling on my CZ527 American.

But, it's not padded.

Galco Tapered Rifle Sling

It's very well made, and super comfortable.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Turner AWS
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:25:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#4]
I use a safari sling. Keeps the gun in front of you and ready to go.  More or less hands free.

Safari sling
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Slightly off topic...  Sorry, no hijack intended...

I've found that one way to dramatically improve the 'carrying comfort' of a sling is to modify how it's used...

Typically, butt down/barrel up puts a lot of barrel up high, over your shoulder. As the gun tis back, leverage sort of magnifies the weight of the barrel, and it pulls back faster, harder.  its a pain in the ass....

African carry:  This will not work well if you are 5'2" and carry a rifle with a 26" barrel.  However, it works in most cases. Put the sling on "upside down".  I attach the wide, shoulder segment of the sling at the butt, and the narrow other end at the front swivel.  Carry the rifle on the left shoulder, muzzle down.  In most cases the barrel is roughly  knee high.  Most of the weight is already "down" under the arm, and it does not rotate backwards like muzzle-up carry does.  The rifle will rest in place to a far greater extent. and the bolt knob is on the outside, not sticking you in the ribs.  Need to bring it up for a quick shot?  Left hand grasps forehand, rotates the rifle up, and the sling is already positioned for a "hasty sling".  This works very well....

Muzzle down carry isn't perfect.  Not sure I'd use it in really rugged country.  But if distance is your thing, muzzle down is more stable and a bunch more comfortable
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
TAB gear biathlon sling.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I use a safari sling. Keeps the gun in front of you and ready to go.  More or less hands free.Safari sling
View Quote

This.
Also known as Boonie Packer sling.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I use a safari sling. Keeps the gun in front of you and ready to go.  More or less hands free.

Safari sling
View Quote

That's naughty and I think I'll be copying that with some 550 cord and my regular shoulder slung fudd guns. Although I have gotten pretty quick at flipping my gun around. Grab the butt and roll the gun muzzle-back, let the sling slide across your shoulder and later fall off. Grab forend with weak hand and tuck strong elbow in to clear sling. If the sling is long enough, don't clear the elbow to take up slack to make a hasty sling. Do not do this when hunting in a party with others behind you!

I have a vtac on my axis using a m16 buttstock adapter. Works well enough. I've never been much a fan of the shoulder strap, but they work. With the front still attached with a normal stud/swivel, it allows for a comfortable improved-hasty. It can be quite fast to actually let high-power take over and drop to a sitting while wrapping your arm up in the sling if terrain allows. Pretty shitty sitting position, but miles ahead of standing.

Occasionally I actually fix a loop sling when groundhog hunting around the farm.

In my treestand or from a field stool, I'll sometimes pop the sling off when I sit down so as to allow no-noise-no-BS ambi shooting. Rest rifle across lap or on a log.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
the two neatest ones I have seen are the Safari sling, and another unusual design that uses a strap about 8-9 feet long and is doubled over in such a way that when pulled together, it is a double strap the length of a normal sling that you can just put over your shoulder.  When extended the sling has two single straps and allows the rifle to be carried like a back pack.  The only problem with this design is that the sling swivels have to be permanently attached to the sling, and it requires two adjustment sliders.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I honestly just use m1 garand slings
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of input, thanks everyone!
I might have to think twice about my limited parameters.
I love my VTAC I have on my AR, I also love the M1907 slings I have in my M1’s.
The Safari sling is cool, but I think it might not work for me. It looks like it flops around a lot.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Quake.  They aren't leather and they stay in place.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goodmedicine] [#14]
I don't remember the make or model but it is a neoprene/rubber wide sling.

Very very comfortable and never slips or slides.

I put it on my shoulder and walk and don't think twice about it until I need my gun.

Of course it's not made to help in steadying the rifle for shot placement, just
for carrying comfortably. (Not that it can't be used to help.)
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I use Quake claw.  love it
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By goodmedicine:
I don't remember the make or model but it is a neoprene/rubber wide sling.

Very very comfortable and never slips or slides.

I put it on my shoulder and walk and don't think twice about it until I need my gun.

Of course it's not made to help in steadying the rifle for shot placement, just
for carrying comfortably. (Not that it can't be used to help.)
View Quote

Vero Vellini?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Cycolac:

Vero Vellini?
View Quote

Quake Claw

I'm using the Quake Claw Contour model
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
VTAC Hunting Sling
View Quote

@bigbryce31186

These look nice. What swivels did you buy to put on the sling?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rhin0cerus:

@bigbryce31186

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
VTAC Hunting Sling

@bigbryce31186

@Rhin0cerus I honestly don't remember. VTAC sells them, states they are uncle mikes swivels. These may be what i put on mine. Can't remember however.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:25:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 870Fan] [#20]
VTAC Hunting Sling
View Quote

I have VTAC slings on 3 rifles and really like how functional they are. Being able to quickly and easily loosen it up enough to sling your rifle over a pack and then tighten it back up enough to use as a shooting aid is great.

2 weekends ago, I was elk hunting and had to do a nasty mile long scramble over windfall trees. I had it much easier with the VTAC sling and my rifle slung over my pack then my partners with traditional slings.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Yep. Super grippy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeDeltaFoxtrot] [#23]
I use Wilderness Tactical Products Rhodesian Slings.  I have hunted in Africa with one to good effect.

Link
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

This.  I have tried a bunch of slings snd settled on Quake for all my hunting rifles.  They work, they stay in place and they won’t rot or mildew
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I have some quake slings but I also like the ultimate gun sling.

https://www.ultimategunsling.com/store/-p131321109
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#26]
My primary hunting rifle has a quake sling. No slip is nice and it is simple/durable.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I agree. I use one of these in hill country, ag/hardwoods for whitetail and it really does stay in place. Solid colors and camo available. They hold up and last years without any noticeable wear.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:19:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maddmatt] [#28]
Plain Black flat webbing between 1"-1.5" width. It's light, works, and simple. I've tried a couple different slings, including a braided paracord sling this year, and I keep falling back to the plain webbing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Red Kettle
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a sling on every rifle I own.

Every year I go thru this same process of finding the best sling.

Every year I walk about 10 feet into the woods and remove the sling "because a rifle needs to be in your hands".  

I have walked all day in Colorado for elk, Stalked hogs in Texas, Hunted deer all over East Coast for 40+ years and never use the sling.

But I own a pile of them.

Link Posted: 8/14/2021 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By vatopa:

Every year I walk about 10 feet into the woods and remove the sling "because a rifle needs to be in your hands".  

I have walked all day in Colorado for elk, Stalked hogs in Texas, Hunted deer all over East Coast for 40+ years and never use the sling.

View Quote

But don't you use them for shooting?  From prone, sitting, or kneeling, it really stabilizes the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ejc204:
I have some quake slings but I also like the ultimate gun sling.

https://www.ultimategunsling.com/store/-p131321109
View Quote

I used the Claw for years and recently bought the
Ultimate sling. The Claw is good but I still had my rifle
sliding off my shoulder which is annoying on long walks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:23:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#33]
Originally Posted By AJE:
I've had this sling for probably 20 years, and it goes on whatever gun I happen to be hunting with.  I think it was branded by Browning but I'm not sure who actually made it.  The black piece is quick adjust.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84914/IMG_20191201_165744-1180387.jpg

If I had to replace it, I like the look of that Vtac.
View Quote

I have that same exact sling and I love it. It’s at least 15 plus years old as it was on one of my dads rifles when he passed away.
It has what I believe to be a browning logo stitched but nothing else.
If you find a clone let me know via PM.
I use leather Montana slings in my lever guns

Edit
Looks like it’s a browning all season sling. There are some online that appear to be the same
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AJE:
I've had this sling for probably 20 years, and it goes on whatever gun I happen to be hunting with.  I think it was branded by Browning but I'm not sure who actually made it.  The black piece is quick adjust.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84914/IMG_20191201_165744-1180387.jpg

If I had to replace it, I like the look of that Vtac.
View Quote

For what it’s worth the it is a Browning All season webbed sling.
Reviews on Amazon had one guy say he has a old one like ours. The slide and overall design is supposed to be the same.
The main difference is the webbed material is slicker according to the review.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
My primary hunting rifle has a quake sling. No slip is nice and it is simple/durable.
View Quote

I was looking at the slim line version of the quake. How well does it work as a "hasty" sling?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By vatopa:

View Quote

Amen brother
I use it only to cross a big field in the dark of the morning while I sort out my gloves hat and coat.
If I get a deer and am dragging him out
If I have a long walk back in the dark.
I look at one from the standpoint of how well does it fold or roll up for in my pocket.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:00:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sanman28] [#37]

I use Quake claw.  love it
View Quote

This for most all rifles I sling over one shoulder on my back.  Bolt guns and/or guns with standard style stocks.  Really is the best sling if don’t want your rig sliding around.  Blue force/VT on the AR’s that ride in front or sling across my back for long walks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I like VTAC for my more tactical rifles, but most of my hunting rifles have Quake Claws on them.

My last few have been The Ultimate Sling. I like them, as they let you use a bi-shoulder when carrying further.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 3:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Erno86] [#39]
I use the "Brownells - Quick-Set Latigo Sling (1" 2 point sling) on my hunting rifles...
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Turner AWS
View Quote

I have one on my M1A. Very comfortable and just enough grip to stay put, but not tacky enough to be a pain.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I prefer a good old fashion 1" multi strand braided sling like the belts of the 1990s.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quake claw is what I’ve been using lately with good results
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#44]
No love from anyone for the 3-pt “Ching sling?”
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
View Quote

I've looked at them a few times, but they seem too complicated.  I have a number of Giles slings from Wilderness, and in general their quality is top notch.  Another downside to the Ching is that you have a to add a third swivel to your rifle.

Have you had good experiences with it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#46]
VTAC Hunting Sling
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#47]
Originally Posted By MikeDeltaFoxtrot:

I've looked at them a few times, but they seem too complicated.  I have a number of Giles slings from Wilderness, and in general their quality is top notch.  Another downside to the Ching is that you have a to add a third swivel to your rifle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeDeltaFoxtrot:

Yes. Fast to sling up as a stabilizing shooting aid, and not complicated at all.

That said, yes, you do have to add a third (middle) swivel to your rifle. I can see where a dude who’s unfamiliar with the 3-pt sling concept might be goosey about doing that.

Alotta younger shooters have never read Jeff Cooper. Very sad.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By fury413rb:
I honestly just use m1 garand slings
View Quote

These are great, but other than the jingle jingle jingle of the metal clips on metal swivels.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Yes. Fast to sling up as a stabilizing shooting aid, and not complicated at all.

That said, yes, you do have to add a third (middle) swivel to your rifle. I can see where a dude who’s unfamiliar with the 3-pt sling concept might be goosey about doing that.

Alotta younger shooters have never read Jeff Cooper. Very sad.  

View Quote

The Art of the Rifle should be required reading.  I always recommend it to new shooters.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a Vero Villini and love it. Very comfortable and doesn’t slip.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Hunting rifle slings (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top