Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2020 11:41:36 AM EDT
I’m in the market for a new pair of boots. I’ve been wearing Danner Elk Hunters the last 5 seasons or so. I want to try something different this year.

I’ve been leaning towards Schnees if anyone has any experience with them.

Hunting will be everything from upland game to high elevation muleys.

I’d like 400g of insulation and made in America.

All opinions are welcome. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
for high elevation i run Scarpa grand dru GTXs. they are extremely stiff out of the box and tend to stay that way for some time. i had 20-30 miles on mine before they loosened up a bit. tons of lateral support and very comfortable. they are warm when i need them to be with good socks.  i had kenetreks on my list of boots to buy but went with the scarpas due to cost at the time. im not sure ill ever have to replace them though as i only wear them for western hunting, which isnt often

Scarpas seem to be a true mountaineering boot and can take crampons which is a little overkill for where i hunt. that said i like them
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
https://lathropandsons.com/

kinda expensive for the program but worth it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The Born and Raised guys did a pretty good podcast on boots.  They went through all the boots they tried and what they settled on and why.

I was going to get kenetreks, and still may, but......

I got a pair of Haix Scouts for work, and these things seem to be bulletproof.  I am loving them so far.  Break-in period was a bit long, but I am really liking them and will give them a shot in the woods this year.  Haix dont fit your made in the USA  requirement.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a custom pair of hunting boots made for me back in the late 90's by Russell Moccasin Co. They were called the Sheep Hunter and I used them extensively up until a couple years ago when I stopped hunting. I took good care of them and had zero issues with them. They are expensive but considering how important your feet are and how long these boots lasted, it was worth it. I still have them and hopefully I can go out this fall.

You can customize whatever boot you decide on.

Russell Moccasin Co.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:17:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#5]
Me and my friends all ended up wearing Crispis. Love them. I mean Italy is pretty much American right?
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Bite the bullet and go with Kennetrek if they fit your feet.

When you start shopping the higher end boots, they're all going to be durable and supportive but fit is vital.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Kennetrek.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:31:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
Kennetrek.
View Quote

(Whisper) crispi
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my Lowa Tibet GTX boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top