Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2017 7:02:57 PM EDT
Hey guys,
I would like to for 2018 go on a Elk hunt. I am open to the state however I would like a guide. I know here in Michigan it is almost impossible to obtain an elk tag as it is by lotto only. How about the other states? Any suggestions on places to stay away from and others to look into?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You can apply for an Elk Tag in Colorado and it's the luck of the draw. If you really want a guided hunt you probably can get a Bull Elk tag from the outfitter as they get a certain number of tags for the land they control. The tag and hunt will not be cheap but at least you won't have to wait 10 years to draw.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
At least half of our elk country is open, as in over the counter tags.  The rest take an application and a wait of 1-20 years before you are drawn.

If you get an outfitter, and no, I don’t know any, they will take care of everything.  For 5k and up. Way up in some cases.  That’s usually a 5-10 day hunt.

Good luck. I love elk chasing.  Since I started archery elk they are in no danger.  I’ll hook up with one soon tho.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
What weapon? If it's Archery this fucking state of mine has unlimited Either sex over the counter tags for the entire fucking state!!!! They've got damn near as many unlimited tags for 2nd & 3rd rifle also!!!
If your willing to pay refucking tarded amounts of money to an outfitter, your odds are 85% or better for success. That being said. Go to New Mexico.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No the archery tags are not wide fucking open, or I would hunt glade park or blue mt.  The primo units take 12+ points to draw.

I would love to hunt NM though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking more for rifle. Black powders ok too. I'm just not comfortable flying to a state I don't know, shooting an elk without a quad and having to haul it several trips over the day.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In Idaho a non resident elk tag (rifle) is $416, but if it's bought as a second tag after 8/1/ it's $299.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a lot of game ranches in Texas that will have elk, you will pay by the inch but you will have the opportunity at a nice elk if you go with one of them and the seasons are not limited.  I have no one to recommend but you can google Elk hunts in Texas and will come up with some results.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No the archery tags are not wide fucking open, or I would hunt glade park or blue mt.  The primo units take 12+ points to draw.

I would love to hunt NM though.
View Quote
Sorry. I was referring to the other 134 units. Not 481 & 40.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking more for rifle. Black powders ok too. I'm just not comfortable flying to a state I don't know, shooting an elk without a quad and having to haul it several trips over the day.
View Quote
Ah... you sure you want to be an elk hunter?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Plan on having to actually work to kill a elk then plan on really working to get it broken down and out of the field. Unless you go to texas and pick you elk off a menu and do nothing but pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you aren't "comfortable" shooting an elk, gutting, skinning, quartering/boning it and then hauling it out. You either need an outfitter to do all the work for you or maybe just stay home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top