Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2021 3:23:08 PM EDT
I have several 5 gallon water jugs with a 1.5 inch spout/threaded opening. I use them for hunting, atv riding, etc.  What's the best way to keep them from turning musty/mildewed on the inside after the trip is finished and the water is poured out?

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Baking soda is dry

Bleach if wet
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I pour in about 8 oz of a 50/50 bleach/water solution.  Shake it up to cover all interior surfaces, then let it air dry/evaporate.  Then I just rinse with hot water immediately prior to next usage.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pour in about 8 oz of a 50/50 bleach/water solution.  Shake it up to cover all interior surfaces, then let it air dry/evaporate.  Then I just rinse with hot water immediately prior to next usage.
View Quote

^^^^^
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I use starsan because i have it around from home fermentation. Kills basically anything that would ever want to grow and you can just give it a light rinse before using it
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave the lid off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave the lid off.
View Quote

^^^this^^^
Turn it upside down with the lid off for about a week in a dry place.
Once the interior is completely dry screw the lid on loosely
So as to prevent bugs from entering but loose enough that air can get into can.
Jug stays fine.
When ready to use again rinse it out with a little bleach water mix and let sit again.
Now it’s ready to use
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top