Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2020 6:55:38 PM EDT
So I have never hunted anything that walks on all fours and what I did hunt I did not want to eat!

I have a hog problem at my home I know I can shot them but like to make more then moving target practice! I'd like to use the meat yet I lack in the experience of harvesting the meat from the kill!

So looking for advice or tutorial on how to skin or butcher a hog! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't care for the hog meat so my method of dressing involves the top of a burn pile.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
YouTube has plenty of butchering videos. Pretty much the same for deer and other critters.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Google "gutless field dressing". It will come up with numerous videos.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Just cut off whatever you don't want to eat?

Seriously, youtube/google are your friend
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kleeb:
Just cut off whatever you don't want to eat?

Seriously, youtube/google are your friends
View Quote

Is it that easy? Sorry never skinned anything that walks on all fours and the meat was worth preserving.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You need some way to hang it. Hang him through the ankle or upper tendons. I begin at the back legs and skin him down. Cut off the shoulders, easy there’s not much holding them on. Put them in a large cooler with cold water running constantly.   Loins are next.  Pretty easy. Put in cooler. Debone the hams. You will see depressions that guide you. By this time the running water will have rinsed it off and cooled it a bit. Immediately pack it in ice. Replenish ice and drain water a couple of times until the meat is cold. Then about every 8 hours or so check it. Then cut it to grind it how you choose. It becomes second nature after a couple of times.

Wear rubber gloves.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tayous1:

Is it that easy? Sorry never skinned anything that walks on all fours and the meat was worth preserving.
View Quote

Kinda yeah, you won't end up with pro-butcher cuts of meat but you'll learn as you go.

But google/youtube are still your friends to figure it out quicker.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes what causes bad taste is not knowing where the glands are and removing them. It's really hard to to tell people how to prepare or butcher that's why I suggest youtube videos and actually seeing the job done.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
You need some way to hang it. Hang him through the ankle or upper tendons. I begin at the back legs and skin him down. Cut off the shoulders, easy there’s not much holding them on. Put them in a large cooler with cold water running constantly.   Loins are next.  Pretty easy. Put in cooler. Debone the hams. You will see depressions that guide you. By this time the running water will have rinsed it off and cooled it a bit. Immediately pack it in ice. Replenish ice and drain water a couple of times until the meat is cold. Then about every 8 hours or so check it. Then cut it to grind it how you choose. It becomes second nature after a couple of times.

Wear rubber gloves.
View Quote

Interesting.  I do literally none of what you do.  When your wife buys nice steaks at the grocery store, do you soak them in ice water?  I didn't think so.  Meat should be cold and dry.

I shoot so many pigs that I usually don't take anything but the backstraps and inner tenderloins.  This can be done on the ground, with out ever having to remove the guts.  Sometimes I take the hams.  You can still do that without gutting or hanging the animal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
There are some great YouTube videos on the subject...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
We don't typically "field dress" hogs we shoot, we just throw them in the truck and drag them back to the house and hang them up by the hind legs with a gambrel. First cut out the glands to help minimize the gamey taste, then skin and gut the hog. This is a great resource that has a lot of good advice on skinning a wild hog
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of people don't realize the importance of gland removal. Another thing people don't realize is why hogs were scalded and scraped. The hair is where most scent is on a hog. They use their glands to get the scent they desire on a tree then rub it into the hair. So as your skinning the animal you cannot help but spread the scent and foul taste. Thats where dry aging helps the meat build a dry cuticle that will be trimmed away later. Soaking the meat only spreads the smell and taste.

Now here is something else to contemplate. Not only does adrenaline affect the flavor of the meat but so do the glands. A pig that is dropped instantly will have a sweet smell. Pigs that have a very sweet diet such as sugar cane or sourgum will have a molasses smell. Yet these very same hogs if run or very upset will get a sulfur smell that the glands secrete to warn other hogs of danger. So how you harvest your pig will effect the flavor as much as how you prepare it. I cannot stand the smell of a pig that has been dogged. The flavor is much more gaming and sometimes even bitter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Meateater has some good tips for butchering hogs.

Meateater.com wild hog stuff

Mostly keep the meat fresh and brining/marinating helps with flavoring if you like. As has been said, straps and a few other cuts take priority. Smaller ones are generally better eating.

Where you located? Might be some arfcommers local to you that would kill and grill along side you.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Pair0dimes:
Meateater has some good tips for butchering hogs.

Meateater.com wild hog stuff

Mostly keep the meat fresh and brining/marinating helps with flavoring if you like. As has been said, straps and a few other cuts take priority. Smaller ones are generally better eating.

Where you located? Might be some arfcommers local to you that would kill and grill along side you.

View Quote

I'm in a no nothing small town 10 miles of Colorado City and 60 miles east of Abilene! It's called Loraine TX
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#16]
PRO TIP PoSt ShOt Hog hunting
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]
First you start with a nice dress, something pink in chiffon or satin...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top