Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2022 12:27:32 PM EDT
Looking at 5.11 Rush 72 backpack. I don't really like any colors in comes in. The camo one is too light, I want a bit darker.

I want to get the black one and make it a bit closer to olive drab or whatever you get when mix black and OD.

Good/bad idea? Will it come out looking awful?

https://www.survivalsullivan.com/how-to-dye-a-backpack/

and this, how effective would this be on a black 5.11?

DIY Camo Paint on a 511 Rush 12 Pack
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm under the assumption you can only dye cloth darker.
So a green bag darker green or black.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Synthetics don't take dye well.  I am sure you can try some synthetic dye, but you can only go darker and don't be disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way you hoped, because it probably won't.  Spray paint would be the next best option.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking at 5.11 Rush 72 backpack. I don't really like any colors in comes in. The camo one is too light, I want a bit darker.

I want to get the black one and make it a bit closer to olive drab or whatever you get when mix black and OD.

Good/bad idea? Will it come out looking awful?

https://www.survivalsullivan.com/how-to-dye-a-backpack/

and this, how effective would this be on a black 5.11?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMxvZV3SOUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69LYA6CGFI
View Quote

You won't be able to dye the black pack to a lighter color.  The "Kangaroo" color pack could possibly be dyed to something resembling Olive Drab, but not only would that take some experimenting, but the buckles and velcro strips would remain nearly the same color.

I don't normally recommend painting flexible nylon gear items, particularly when a radical change in color (as you require) is contemplated.

Suggest you find a different pack that you like and whose color meets your needs.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Spray paint a brand new relatively expensive pack?    Why not just look for a different pack in whatever color you want with similar specifications?

Pics or it didnt happen -- LOL
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I dyed one of the US UCP 3 day assault packs using RIT dye, boiling water and a little bit of vinegar. I'll come back and add pictures to this post in the morning when I get home from work.

I used this video:

How to dye UCP into a functional tropical camouflage pattern

Other posters above are correct you can only dye darker, you can never dye lighter So I would skip the black if it is your intention to dye one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Synthetics don't take dye well.  I am sure you can try some synthetic dye, but you can only go darker and don't be disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way you hoped, because it probably won't.  Spray paint would be the next best option.
View Quote
No offense but stating that "Synthetics don't take dye well" is objectively false, as long as one dyes things properly.  "Properly" basically means following instruction on Rit Dye site posted there for decades.

See My Dyeing Thread  for examples of dyeing synthetic articles.

Again, no offense intended.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No offense but stating that "Synthetics don't take dye well" is objectively false, as long as one dyes things properly.  "Properly" basically means following instruction on Rit Dye site posted there for decades.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Thumbs up"
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#8]

If you dye you need to agitate it quite a bit or you'll end up with spots that don't take the dye as well like the crease I have on my bag.

I would have liked it to come out a tiny bit darker but I think I would have lost some of the camo pattern detail like @raf said in his big dye thread. It's still 1000x's better than stock UCP.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#9]
That pack looks great.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Op - here’s my 2 cents even though you didn’t ask for it at all…

save up the coin and check out London bridge tactical, Prometheus design werx shado and vanquest.

I’ve had one or two of each and have enjoyed them a ton over my less expensive tactical packs.

And between those three companies you should be able to find a color you love, they are in stock and sometimes can find sales for some savings.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]
As others have said, synthetics are harder to dye.

I used black RIT dye on some desert camo military pants.

Turned out kinda purple, and you can still see the desert camo pattern really clearly.

I still wear them and tell people its super secret Army Seal Sniper Recon Ranger camo called 'Desert Night'.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As others have said, synthetics are harder to dye.

I used black RIT dye on some desert camo military pants.

Turned out kinda purple, and you can still see the desert camo pattern really clearly.

I still wear them and tell people its super secret Army Seal Sniper Recon Ranger camo called 'Desert Night'.
View Quote
Dying NyCo clothing items is different from dying purely Nylon field gear, and also different from dying mostly Cotton-based items.  Takes some fabric preparation, and appropriate chems--all suggested in Rit Dye site.

I have no personal "Expertise" in dying personal clothing, although I've done so.  My comments posted long-ago in other threads dealing with dying nylon field gear should be taken with "reservations", as I constantly revised my comments (and pix) in that thread as my knowledge increased. I "might" dye some things differently nowadays.

After being personally attacked in some other threads here in Tac Gear forum, I'm reluctant to share "new" ideas.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have dyed kaki Tru Spec pants with Blue synthetic dye because someone left a pen in the wash. It came out grey and the blue blob was less visible. The threads stayed kaki colored. Only the Velcro changed to blue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top