Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2018 1:11:00 AM EDT
In the mountains we have a cheap propane grill and a crock pot that is easily run by the solar system during daytime.

I'd like my SO to be able to cook a turkey breast so it can be sliced to make sandwiches, and don't want to use anything except what we have.

Looking for suggestions...
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
We buy frozen boneless turkey breasts.  Don’t thaw the meat.  Remove the plastic wrapper, but leave the netting underneath on.

I’ll rinse it off.  Whether this removes anything bad, I don’t know, but it helps your seasoning stick to the frozen bird.  Put the bird in your crockpot, and generously coat on all sides with Cajun seasoning, LaRue’s Dillo Dust, or whatever flavor dry rub you prefer.  Don’t try to form a crust of seasoning or it’ll be too salty, just be sure you get some all over the bird.  When in doubt, go light on seasonings, you can’t take it back once it’s cooked.

Put a little water, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup, in the crockpot, being careful not to pour it on your coated bird.  I like to add a small amount of apple cider vinegar, maybe a couple of tablespoons.  This seems to help the liquid permeate the meat, but don’t overdo it with the vinegar.

If I start it in the morning, I’ll put it on low and cook it all day.  Something I’ve started doing is, once the turkey has softened up some from cooking, poke a few holes into the top and insert pieces of butter.  This should be the only time your remove the cover during cooking

The pop out thermometer is, IMO, a suggestion.  It won’t hurt to cook the bird 8+ hours on low.  I use silicon grill gloves to get it out when done, and scissors to remove the netting, a process that can be a little messy.

This works for us, but you may not like it, and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of other suggestions.  Crockpot cooking is pretty forgiving.

I like your game cam posts.  Curious about the big bird.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We buy frozen boneless turkey breasts.  Don’t thaw the meat.  Remove the plastic wrapper, but leave the netting underneath on.

I’ll rinse it off.  Whether this removes anything bad, I don’t know, but it helps your seasoning stick to the frozen bird.  Put the bird in your crockpot, and generously coat on all sides with Cajun seasoning, LaRue’s Dillo Dust, or whatever flavor dry rub you prefer.  Don’t try to form a crust of seasoning or it’ll be too salty, just be sure you get some all over the bird.  When in doubt, go light on seasonings, you can’t take it back once it’s cooked.

Put a little water, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup, in the crockpot, being careful not to pour it on your coated bird.  I like to add a small amount of apple cider vinegar, maybe a couple of tablespoons.  This seems to help the liquid permeate the meat, but don’t overdo it with the vinegar.

If I start it in the morning, I’ll put it on low and cook it all day.  Something I’ve started doing is, once the turkey has softened up some from cooking, poke a few holes into the top and insert pieces of butter.  This should be the only time your remove the cover during cooking

The pop out thermometer is, IMO, a suggestion.  It won’t hurt to cook the bird 8+ hours on low.  I use silicon grill gloves to get it out when done, and scissors to remove the netting, a process that can be a little messy.

This works for us, but you may not like it, and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of other suggestions.  Crockpot cooking is pretty forgiving.

I like your game cam posts.  Curious about the big bird.
View Quote
Thank you for the 'recipe'.

After you get the turkey cooked, is the meat 'texture' as a whole, similar to an oven cooked turkey?

Is it 'sliceable'?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thaw it first. Frozen stuff in a crock pot is just asking for your cook times to be all over the place.

I would brine it in a plastic bag with some veggie broth, salt, and sugar when it's about half thawed. Overnight or a couple of hours is good enough.

Then drain and put fresh water around it and cook it in the crock pot, probably 4 hours on high. (Though, you'll have to experiment.)
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I know what you are trying to get at, but it's kind of tough to do that at home.

The sandwich meat we get from the stores (beef/ham/turkey) are all injected w/ a bunch of water. The slices are going to end up being thicker and more dry than grocery store stuff.

My dad has a meat slicer that I've been "borrowing" for the last 5 years , and medium-ish prepped beef/ham does really well, but turkey tends to be a shredded mess most of the time if you try to get it too thin. The trick is to kind of safely under cook it just a bit so it stays moist enough to slice up. Most of the time I just end up shredding it anyway. Plus most chicken/turkey falls apart in the crockpot.

I like to bake the turkey, then you can drop the smaller pieces into this thing, pull the handle a few times, and it comes out really nicely chopped. You can do mayo/mustard/olives in it like tuna if you want it cold, or do it hot with whatever you want mixed in.

Amazon Product
  • Sharp, stainless steel blades
  • Chop foods coarse, medium or fine
  • Just put all the ingredients into the container at once and pull a few times - you're done

Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank you for the 'recipe'.

After you get the turkey cooked, is the meat 'texture' as a whole, similar to an oven cooked turkey?

Is it 'sliceable'?
View Quote
That was concerning me in your original post.  It will be hard to slice thin.  We just slice ours thick and break/tear/shred it up.

Someone commented on inconsistent cook time.  That has never been my experience, but I suppose if the size of the turkey breast varied considerably, that could be an issue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#6]
if you want to slice the cooked meat , put in the freezer until it stiffens up from the cold they slice, it will slice much better.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if you want to slice the cooked meat , put in the freezer until it stiffens up from the cold they slice, it will slice much better.
View Quote
QFT

Backed up by Alton Brown.

I have found that I can get slices pretty thin with a hobby sharp chef knife this way.  Too thin to really make jerky from
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard decent reports about this 12v crock pot. Might be more efficient with your solar system and not having to do a voltage conversion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0013IR88A
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top