Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2020 9:17:55 PM EDT
I'm looking for some suggestions. I want a more comfortable way to carry my gear.
I like to fly fish when I get a chance and often hike off the beaten path a ways (day trips of a mile or 2).

I have been using a traditional fishing vest for years. I don't carry a lot of tackle, a couple leaders, 2 tippet spools, small fly box, fly floatant, forceps, that's about it. The extra junk I carry is what becomes a bother. I often shed an extra layer or rain jacket, a water bottle, lunch, snacks, etc... These bulky items get packed in the rear pouch of the vest and it sucks.

I have worn the vest with a small day pack but the vest pockets and pack straps don't play well together. I have also tried only the day pack. This is the most comfortable but I have to drop the pack to get anything from the pockets. I really want easier access to my fly box and I have to keep forceps in reach for quick fly removal. I will not wear a pack with a waist belt while fishing so adding pockets there isn't an option( if I slip in the water I want out of the pack pdq).

I have seen chest packs but I've never tried one. Most seem kind of bulky. I don't want a big pack on my back and one on my chest. I also want a clear view of my feet when wading or climbing.

I guess I'm looking for compact chest pack suggestions that work well with a back pack or maybe a better idea that hasn't crossed my mind.

Thank you for looking and I appreciate any help you can offer, MBanning
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Vest, chest pack, hip pack, waist pack, sling pack, etc., etc. are all very subjective. What one person loves another hates. There are many reasons depending on amount of gear carries, body shape, distance travelled to fishing spot, etc.

All of that being said, more than likely you will try a few different types before you settle on one. And very likely you will have/use a couple of different types for different areas fished.

For me I use a traditional vest for most of my fly fishing that involves walking/hiking in and wade fishing. I tried the chest pack, a small one at that, and really didn’t like it not only due to the small size but it blocked some of my view which when wading small bluelines with rocks, drop offs, snakes, etc. is not good. This is why I came back to a traditional vest. I am using one by Fishpond and they have all kinds of attach points and pockets.

When boat fishing I do not use the vest, I just have on a neck lanyard with the bare necessities as it doesn’t have to really hold anything as I have a bag for that.

From those I have talked to the sling packs tend to be the least favored as you have to take it off or partially take it off to access the main compartment. There are those that do like them, it appears to be a smaller group to me.

I know I didn’t really answer your question but you’re best bet is to try several different ones and see what works best for you in the areas you fish.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've tried a bunch of different combos and always go back to my Simms vest.  They are customizable to your needs,  have boatloads of storage if you want to pack heavy yet lightweight, cool, and snag proof on the key areas like nippers and such with the built in hooded retractors.

The vest is just very well thought out and I've worn it for 12 hours straight fishing and guiding at night.  Running 2 nets off the back the neck padding system really helps with the weight...

I have done a bunch of hike ins with a 40l soft frame too and wear it comfortably over my vest and waders. Again it's slick material and smart placement of hooks and retractors keep everything mostly snag proof.

Very subjective though and not everyone wants to drop $200 on a vest, but I live in my fishing gear quite a bit...
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#3]
When I am packing a lot of gear, and need a full backpack instead of a vest, I like to use a neck lanyard.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Best setup I’ve ever used for all-in-one is the FishPond Wasatch Tech Pack vest.  It has a decent amount of storage in the back that can accommodate enough for a day trip or overnight survival in warm or moderately cool environments.  The problem is that FishPond discontinued the vest and doesn’t make anything that truly replaces it.  You can still find a few for sale online.  I run a 3L water reservoir and tube, all my fly fishing tools, it has a spare rod tube holder on the outside, drink bottle pouch on the other side, and enough rear storage to carry a rain jacket, fleece pullover and gloves, GPS, high calorie snacks, trauma kit, space blanket, fire starter kit, emergency signal kit, flashlight, headlamp, space blanket, and a few other small items.  The front internal pocket perfectly holds my Glock 43.

Fortunately, FishPond came out with a good system with their Thunderhead submersible backpack and chest pack.  They work well as stand-alone systems, but the chest pack also separates from the harness and attaches to clips on the front of the backpack straps.  You have a fully integrated system.  In terms of modular systems, it’s the best I’ve played with.  I recently got my hands on both at the same time, and it convinced me to pick up the set for my next trip down to Belize or Mexico.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top