Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2018 2:31:29 AM EDT
I own a small farm in rural PA.  County was apparently #3 in bear last year and bear are common in the area.

My land and an adjacent farm are mostly clear fields on top of a mountain and everything in the surrounding area is heavily wooded.  
There are apple trees and wild berry bushes all over the area as well as steep cliffs.

What can I do long-term to make my property more attractive to bear?  
Things like plant more berrys, clear undergrowth in wooded areas, etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Bears are a nuisance animal for people who live near them and you don't really want them tearing shit up around your home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
I own a small farm in rural PA.  County was apparently #3 in bear last year and bear are common in the area.

My land and an adjacent farm are mostly clear fields on top of a mountain and everything in the surrounding area is heavily wooded.  
There are apple trees and wild berry bushes all over the area as well as steep cliffs.

What can I do long-term to make my property more attractive to bear?  
Things like plant more berrys, clear undergrowth in wooded areas, etc.
View Quote
bags of ol'roy dog food work well in alaska
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you really want to invite "the man" "the bear" into your life?

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Bears are a nuisance animal for people who live near them and you don't really want them tearing shit up around your home.
View Quote
I want them to my and my neighbor's land out away from our houses, not on my front porch.

I want to hunt targets of opportunity locally rather than making trips to other places to hunt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Donuts. Go to a bakery and ask for buckets of old donuts and lard. Guaranteed bears.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Put up a bird feeder.

Bears love bird seed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:36:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Uplandhntr] [#7]
Bears can drink 5 gallons if water a day and also lay in it for hours cooling off.
But, bears are not like deer. They can have a huge territory and trying to keep them on a 40 acre piece is impossible
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:54:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ewell44] [#9]
You don't need to do anything. You are already in a good county per your post. When you plan on hunting them start baiting early and with whatever you can get your hands on to bait them. Find out what seems to work best for them to keep coming in. Bears aren't picky but certain baits have them coming in more consistently. Like someone said donuts or even old stale bread mixed with jelly or jam, anything sweet. Liquid smoke flavor sprays work well in the surrounding bait area. Chips, popcorn, Cheetos's also work OK or gummy bears, anything sweet. Trust me you don't want nuisance bears around all year long.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Hang some beeves from a clothesline?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Somerset county here, to damn many beat around. Impossible to keep automatic feeders without the cock suckers destroying them, Sure you know but if your hunting them in season do not bait them!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ewell44:
You don't need to do anything. You are already in a good county per your post. When you plan on hunting them start baiting early and with whatever you can get your hands on to bait them. Find out what seems to work best for them to keep coming in. Bears aren't picky but certain baits have them coming in more consistently. Like someone said donuts or even old stale bread mixed with jelly or jam, anything sweet. Liquid smoke flavor sprays work well in the surrounding bait area. Chips, popcorn, Cheetos's also work OK or gummy bears, anything sweet. Trust me you don't want nuisance bears around all year long.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNj1XTnXc_M
View Quote
This isn't GD, why are you even in this thread?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#14]
when you successfully hunt other things, gather up the gut piles and carcasses and dump them on your property.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ewell44:

This isn't GD, why are you even in this thread?
View Quote
Oh shit! Sorry! I swear I thought I checked.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

Oh shit! Sorry! I swear I thought I checked.
View Quote
No biggee, easy to lose track.

Believe it or not they are a favorite lol. Darn cannibals!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, one of the best things we have found to draw in bears..bacon grease..will take at least 1 year of putting it out..but find a spot well away from humans, and start pouring bacon grease out..We have gotten ours from a local small diner..it is pure bacon grease, nothing else..they get us about 5 gallons a month...It will eventually draw anything that ever touches meat....just takes time... we also use dog food, gummy bears, maple syrup, donuts, rotten meat, gut piles and anything else sweet or rotten....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top