BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Multi vitamins - fat based vitamins will break down, mineral based will not.

"Other" based will also break down, but in a different way/rate than fat based.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don’t forget comfort foods like Mac n cheese for the kiddos

Also get multi vitamin supplements and antipyretics.

#300 count over 50 vitamins are about 14 dollars at Walmart.

I spent extra for the kids flinstones, but those are rotated through monthly.  They had aver a years dating so I bought 12mos worth.  I just replace it monthly with fresh product so I always have a year on hand.
I need to stack Vitamin D up. I'm convinced it's a huge driving force behind keeping me healthy now.

Once I bumped to 5000 IU daily I felt so much better, and got sick way less often.

I need to get blood work done to make sure I'm not over doing it, but it's been crazy the last year, I almost always get sick when the kids do, and I'm maybe 1 for 5 now, and my energy levels are much more evened out.

That sucks.

No big deal I guess, a year's supply is small and cheap. I keep them in the freezer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That sucks.

No big deal I guess, a year's supply is small and cheap. I keep them in the freezer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent extra for the kids flinstones, but those are rotated through monthly.  They had aver a years dating so I bought 12mos worth.  I just replace it monthly with fresh product so I always have a year on hand.
I need to stack Vitamin D up. I'm convinced it's a huge driving force behind keeping me healthy now.

Once I bumped to 5000 IU daily I felt so much better, and got sick way less often.

I need to get blood work done to make sure I'm not over doing it, but it's been crazy the last year, I almost always get sick when the kids do, and I'm maybe 1 for 5 now, and my energy levels are much more evened out.

That sucks.

That's actually perfect, even better if it is an old school freezer, not a frostless.

"Frostless" freezers do thaw cycles...

Which also makes meat go bad faster.

Water molecules and oxygen are mobile even below "freezing".

Even more so during "thaw cycles"

That is what "freezer burn" really is, oxidation = poison

And Tranny fats are also poison.

Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's actually perfect, even better if it is an old school freezer, not a frostless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

The big freezer is a deep freeze, it stays under 0 full time.

I have an alarm on it that shows room temp and internal temp.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

ETA: Bonus points for nitrogen purge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I forgot peas and carrots.

For a complete protein.

You don't want pellagra, trust me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I did the 5 gallon pail+mylar bag+oxygen absorber+rice & beans thing.  The beans are about 1/2 pinto, and several other kinds of beans make up the other half, such as garbanzo, lentils, black, navy, etc. just for variety.  In addition to chicken, vegetable, and beef bullion granules to enhance the flavor, I keep around 150 cans of food that we like and eat ranging from spinach, pears, peaches, & tomatoes, to salmon, spam, & sardines.  I have supplemented all that with some LDS boxes of #10 cans of dehydrated apples, onions, and pasta for additional variety.  A mix of rice and beans for calories and proteins will be the bulk of our diet for calories, with a can or two per day to keep variety of taste and nutrition.  That should just about do it.

I have 30 gallons of water sealed in 5 gallon pails, with another 240 gallons in the hot tub.  The hot tub water will mostly get used for flushing toilets and such, but can be sterilized and filtered if I run out of clean water.

I figure there is enough to feed us and some of our less fortunate neighbors about 2 or 3 months.  Beyond that?  If society has not returned to normal by then, then the lack of medicines we both need will kill us anyway.  So I don't lose any sleep over it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
:laughs in single bond carbon chain:
>-< is win
>=< is fail
With special treatments, including vitamin A you can extend it a few years, but it's really hard to go past 5 years on unsaturated fats.
It's 30 years on PROPERLY PRESERVED AND SEALED dry goods, that is why.
Crisco is nice and all, but it's hard to call it "food".
Trans fat is poison.
This is now a Tranny Thread.
View Quote
No one said anything about 30 year storage on oil. If your using that as a definition of "a long time" then you failed to define  your  "short time"

":laughs in single bond carbon chain"

can you explain how it changes with limited/no access to o2 and/or temp change, also define how and  when the oil will be unusable for consumption(have little to no values)use small words for sake of the rest of us.

If you want to try to be smart prove it, or you're just being a smart ass, especially with your stupid tranny remarks
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Thread made me poison myself with bacon and eggs this morning.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No one said anything about 30 year storage on oil. If your using that as a definition of "a long time" then you failed to define  your  "short time"

can you explain how it changes with limited/no access to o2 and/or temp change, also define how and  when the oil will be unusable for consumption(have little to no values)use small words for sake of the rest of us.

If you want to try to be smart prove it, or you're just being a smart ass, especially with your stupid tranny remarks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
:laughs in single bond carbon chain:
>-< is win
>=< is fail
With special treatments, including vitamin A you can extend it a few years, but it's really hard to go past 5 years on unsaturated fats.
It's 30 years on PROPERLY PRESERVED AND SEALED dry goods, that is why.
Crisco is nice and all, but it's hard to call it "food".
Trans fat is poison.
This is now a Tranny Thread.

I'll try my best, but pictures would be better.

Oils and fats are long chain carbon molecules with hydrogen atoms attached.

Each carbon atom can have 4 chemical bonds. Methane is 1 carbon and 4 hydrogens, the carbon is in the middle. Saturated fats have all 4 possible attachment points connected to an atom. Each carbon atom in the chain is attached to a carbon atom on each side and two hydrogen atoms. The end of the chain will have 3 hydrogens.

There are three types of chemical bonds that carbon atoms can make. Single, double, and triple bonds. Single bonds are "saturated" meaning each carbon atom in the chain has a carbon atom on each side with two hydrogen atoms attached to each carbon atom. All the bonding points are taken up by an atom.

Double bond means that two adjacent carbon atoms are each missing a hydrogen atom, so the "extra" missing bond (where the hydrogen atoms would be) instead links to the adjacent carbon. So you have two chemical bonds between adjacent carbon atoms, instead of just one. The missing hydrogen atoms leave an "opening" where an oxygen free radical can attack and attach itself to the carbon chain. This creates a place in the fat/oil where your body cannot metabolize (it becomes a different chemical), and it acts like a poison to your body. It becomes more like eating motor oil, than vegetable oil. It might look the same, but it's not. You'll note the taste and smell is different or "rancid" and your brain should recognize this, when you taste it, as "Bad".

You only have very specific chemical reactions that take place in your body.

Rancid fat/oil is bad for you.

This is also the key to understanding why trans fat is bad for you (Crisco, or partially hydrogenated veggie oil, etc), there are two types of double bonds that can be made, trans and cis. Your body can metabolize cis, but trans fat is a poison. Trans fat is a byproduct of the hydrogenation process. Hydrogenation extends shelf life (makes the oil more saturated, so it cannot oxidize as easily) but also inevitably leads to trans fats being created. Long list of adverse health effects too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thread made me poison myself with bacon and eggs this morning.
View Quote
Nothing about bacon and eggs is poison. Cholesterol is good for you. Cholesterol is a necessary hormone precursor. Taking drugs that lower your cholesterol level actually causes hormonal issues, such as "Low T". You won't see much publication of this data, but it's there. And as for eating cholesterol, your body makes 90% of what is in your body anyways. Eating it only adds a very small amount, overall.

Back to fats.

Attachment Attached File

See the shape of the double bond? one is U shaped (good), one is Z shaped (bad). Cis means "same", as the double bond is rigid and forces the carbon atoms to be on the "same" side of the double bond.

Where there are missing hydrogen atoms, oxygen can more easily attack.

Here is the wikipedia on trans fats. It's pure poison to your body. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

A 1994 study estimated that over 30,000 cardiac deaths per year in the United States are attributable to the consumption of trans fats

Alzheimer, Diabetes, Infertility, Liver disease, etc, etc.

ETA: you'll still see trans fat sold, but it will be labeled "0 grams trans fat" which is a lie, it is actually "Less than 1 gram Trans Fat" Generally on small snack items, or "Zero grams per serving."

Anything that is made with "Hydrogenated" vegetable oil will have SOME amount of trans fat.

It builds up in your cell membranes, for instance, and fucks with them. (layman's terms) Each of your cells has a bag around it, the cells in your body are like bag of juice. If the bags gets made of crappy materials,  your shit gets fucked up, then you die.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Iirc rice (dry) is 1600 calories per poundr
Beans are approximately 12 or 1300 per dry pound.out

Keep in mind not all beans are created equal.  Again from memory humans need 13 or 14 different
protiens.  Iirc lentils are the best at 11.

So 1 pound of each is 2800 calories. 4 adults would need 2k to 5k a day each or 8000 to 20000.

Multiply times 90 720,000 to 1.8 million ca lories.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Also, fats.  I like ghee lard and olive oil
Spices
Meat n veggies. Spam has an idea mandatory bar but date, but f you contact them they will say shelf life with proper
storage is indefinite
Takes gallon jugs dry flakes and the dehydrated hashbrowns.

I list the the r things because diet fatigue is real and if you do not at rice and beans often, you are asking for onions
storing it as your main stay

And vitamins
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Also, fats.  I like ghee lard and olive oil
Spices
Meat n veggies. Spam has an idea mandatory bar but date, but f you contact them they will say shelf life with proper
storage is indefinite
Takes gallon jugs dry flakes and the dehydrated hashbrowns.

I list the the r things because diet fatigue is real and if you do not at rice and beans often, you are asking for onions
storing it as your main stay

And vitamins
View Quote
Good post.

Long term survival stores should include the vegetarian complete protein sets as seed stock.

One would need to do research to find the exact ones, because each plant is different, but the general guideline is to look at the diets of ancient societies.

Beans and corn.

Lentils and (whole) Wheat.

Soybean and (whole) Rice

Peas and Carrots.

There are more.

Obviously meat is great. Spam has meat, salt and fat. It's meat that is preserved before canning.

Iodized salt. At least a pound per bucket. Ideally one should have potassium salt too, and a pound or four of sugar, for life saving rehydration therapy. And to make stuff taste better. Even if you don't eat it all, the salt is useful for preserving meat and hides.

Sugar can be used as an antimicrobial on open wounds. It draws out the moisture, and the bacteria can't reproduce. Honey also works, but doesn't store so well.

If you have multiple buckets, might be a good idea to have somewhat different "load outs" in each one. Different spices, different treats. Maybe add some hard candy, or packs of koolaid to each one. Talk about a moral booster.

ETA: Never use "hot cinnamon" hard candy, the smell will permeate the bucket. You don't want your beans tasting like that, trust me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Oi! It's been a few decades since I took Organic Chemistry, but I'll explain this as best I can off the top of my head.

This is why you don't want to eat rancid vegetable oil. And also why even Lard goes bad, over time. Especially without Antioxidants (vitamins) ie preservatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification

Attachment Attached File

Water = HOH (H2O) randomly forms OH- (hydroxide) and H+ (the acid part of almost all acids...) so dehydration also help prevent oxidation.

'OH is a "Free Radical".  Due to electron orbitals the oxygen has a single electron missing from the 8 it wants to have, which means it REALLY wants to steal an electron to complete the set.

Chemical reactions take place, end result is a lipid peroxide, which I promise you don't want to eat.

Antioxidants stop that from happening by eating up the free radicals.

I hope I got that right, if I didn't Niels Boar is going to kick my ass the next time we debate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Put simply, stored food might well prevent you from making poor decisions, regardless of the "crisis".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how is stockpiling food going to save anyone from a virus?
Put simply, stored food might well prevent you from making poor decisions, regardless of the "crisis".
The question is really backwards, and should be,

"How are you going to survive a pandemic without anything to eat?"
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok the question now that I have froze my rice and beans is storage, I bought 5 gallon food buckets should I just open the bags and dump them in or leave them in the bag and seal that up in the bucket?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok the question now that I have froze my rice and beans is storage, I bought 5 gallon food buckets should I just open the bags and dump them in or leave them in the bag and seal that up in the bucket?
View Quote
The way I typically do this:

-Purchase vacuum sealer and supplies
-Decide size of typical meal usage, and use some multiplier factor (i.e. 1 cup rice x 3)
-Bag and seal with desicant pack, write date of seal on bag with sharpie
-Freeze in a Tupperware container (to avoid punctures from getting moved around in the freezer)
-Remove from freezer and Tupperware and let return to temp on counter
-Move to "bulk" storage container

This is expensive and time-consuming.

In your case, leave it in the bag and carefully place it in the bucket if you don't want to do all the stuff above.  Note however there is no attention paid on those bags to be air tight from the store so you may find they already have holes. You don't want a big bucket full of loose food because if something gets compromised it is ALL compromised.  Put the store bags in ziploc bags or something and then put them in the bucket.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

-Decide size of typical meal usage, and use some multiplier factor (i.e. 1 cup rice x 3)
-Freeze in a Tupperware container (to avoid punctures from getting moved around in the freezer)

In your case, leave it in the bag and carefully place it in the bucket if you don't want to do all the stuff above.  Note however there is no attention paid on those bags to be air tight from the store so you may find they already have holes. You don't want a big bucket full of loose food because if something gets compromised it is ALL compromised.  Put the store bags in ziploc bags or something and then put them in the bucket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I have a vacuum sealer but I don't want to vacuum seal my beans and rice I have sewer 5 gallon buckets and am keeping it inside my house that will have to do.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
how is stockpiling food going to save anyone from a virus?
View Quote
Get a copy of The Jarkarta Pandemic.  Abe's books or thrift books may have a cheap used copy
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Buy a few 5 gallon buckets and 4 bags of 50lb rice.  Enough fuel to cook it and extras to put on it (butter, beans, etc).

Mylar bags to seal it optional, but place outside in freezing temps for several days to help preserve it.
View Quote
I’d probably use food grade buckets. You used to be able to get them (icing buckets) from Walmart bakery. Dunno if they still give them away. When I worked there they were tossed in the trash. Clean it up, add a gamma lid on it and you have a wonderful bucket for rice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Got my LDS food order put away and recorded today.

I was a little disappointed once I totaled up the calories.  Only 513,000, which at roughly 5,000 calores / day (family of 3) only makes this a roughly 3 month supply.

This is in addition to our short term flour/sugar/oats/canned goods.  I need to add those up and see where I'm sitting.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top