BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2020 8:31:14 PM EDT
Just assuming that's all you ate every day
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a few 5 gallon buckets and 4 bags of 50lb rice.  Enough fuel to cook it and extras to put on it (butter, beans, etc).

Mylar bags to seal it optional, but place outside in freezing temps for several days to help preserve it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
About a weeks worth.  After than, you'd want to kill yourself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a few 5 gallon buckets and 4 bags of 50lb rice.  Enough fuel to cook it and extras to put on it (butter, beans, etc).

Mylar bags to seal it optional, but place outside in freezing temps for several days to help preserve it.
View Quote
Thanks, freeze beans?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually put the 20-25# bags in the freezer for a week or two, then bag and seal. Food grade buckets and O2 absorbers.

200 pounds of rice and beans, 3 gallons of soy sauce. Canned chicken, canned tuna, freeze dried ground beef, spices, boullion cubes, dried onions, etc will help with monotonous menu. Even a sliced country ham portioned out, food saver will be good in beans.

Dried pasta is cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks, freeze beans?
View Quote
To kill the bugs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
To kill the bugs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks, freeze beans?
To kill the bugs.
Oh ok thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
All that bulk stuff (beans, rice, pasta, etc.)has the potential to have insect larvae.  Freezing for a week or two kills them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just assuming that's all you ate every day
View Quote
Calculate how many calories you want each person to have and go from there based off those foods.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Assuming ~2000 calories per day, one five gallon bucket filled with beans, rice, a pound of lard, a pound of salt and 5 lbs of corn flour will last an adult one month. Substitute more lard if you want more calories.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Assuming ~2000 calories per day, one five gallon bucket filled with beans, rice, a pound of lard, a pound of salt and 5 lbs of corn flour will last an adult one month. Substitute more lard if you want more calories.
View Quote
Why lard? Does it store better than other fats? Calories?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I usually put the 20-25# bags in the freezer for a week or two, then bag and seal. Food grade buckets and O2 absorbers.

200 pounds of rice and beans, 3 gallons of soy sauce. Canned chicken, canned tuna, freeze dried ground beef, spices, boullion cubes, dried onions, etc will help with monotonous menu. Even a sliced country ham portioned out, food saver will be good in beans.

Dried pasta is cheap and easy.
View Quote
Won't the O2 absorbers in the mylar bags kill off the larve?
They wouldn't have any oxygen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This seems light on the fat.  A pound of lard does not go very far.  The pound you are using would be slightly more than a soup cans worth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Back when I looked into it, the answer I got was that one 5 gallon pail of rice and one 5 gallon pail of beans will feed an adult for 50 days.

That's 0.02 buckets per day.

So, 4 adults for 90 days would be around 7.2 buckets of rice, and another 7.2 buckets of beans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#14]
You should be storing about 2 pounds of rice for 1 pound of beans.

Buy some veg oil.  It's cheap and calorie dense.  You need some fats in your diet.   You can get 2 packs of 3 quarts of veg oil at Sam's for under $7.

Each 2 pack(6 quarts total) equals 360 calories per day for 120 days for one person.

Don't just buy beans.   Lentils and split peas  are both high in protein and cost about a buck a pound at Walmart.

While you are at Sam's pick up some pancake mix.   10 pounds is $9
Quick oats are dirt cheap as well.

Grits are super cheap.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buy some veg oil.  It's cheap and calorie dense.  You need some fats in your diet.   You can get 2 packs of 3 quarts of veg oil at Sam's for under $7.

Each 2 pack(6 quarts total) equals 360 calories per day for 120 days for one person.

Don't just buy beans.   Lentils and split peas  are both high in protein and cost about a buck a pound at Walmart.

Grits are super cheap.

8nBAIT
View Quote
Yes all of this.

Crisco has no limit on it's effective shelf life if left sealed in the can. A big bottle of oil starts to go bad as soon as you open it, and if it's in the light, and if it gets warm, etc.  Definitely spread out the oils into others. Coconut oil too. With just rice and beans you are missing lipids and proteins you have to make up for somewhere. (Powdered milk maybe.)

Also, soaking those beans takes a lot of time and a lot of water.  Lentils and split peas can be tossed in a pot with water and cooked straight away saving water and time.

I would add powdered milk, powdered eggs, canned meats, spices, dried onions, etc. and pretty soon you are almost eating normal.  Make several and rotate and you'll greatly reduce the risk of losing everything or all of one thing. And you'll learn how to adjust to not liking whatever you stored by tweaking it.

The "store what you eat" wisdom is many faceted.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Be sure you have a ton of water to go with that
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Get a big bag of rice and a big bag of beans. Eat them for a week and calculate how much you’ll need for that length of time.

When you’re doing your calculations, you’ll undoubtedly be planning on getting more than rice and beans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
How much food per person per day is simply a matter of knowing caloric value of the food you will store.

The simple caloric value for food is:
- proteins & carbohydrates have ~ 4 kcal per gram
- fats have ~ 8 kcal per gram.

If you want say 2000 kcal of food per day and a ratio of 1/3 the calories from fat & 2/3 calories from protein and carbohydrates then the math is:

For fat,

0.333 x 2000 kcal  = 666 kcal of fat. Divide by 8 kcal per gram = 83.25 grams of fat per day
For carbs & proteins,

0.666 x 2000 kcal = 1332 kcal Divide by 4 kcal per gram = 333 grams of protein/carbohydrates.

333 grams + 83 grams = 416 grams = 0.92 pounds of "food" per day per person for 2000 kcal.

That assumes there is no undigestible fiber or water in the food, which is never true.
The take home is that you will need a minimum of 1 pound dry weight of food per day per person to give ~2000 kcal. 2000 kcal per day is on the low side for what most of us eat normally so you may want to up the numbers to 2500 - 3000 kcal depending on your current consumption.

You can of course add more fat and less carbs/protein to increase the calories per pound but there is a limit to how much fat you can tolerate eating.

If you have less than one pound per day per person stored you have miscalculated your needs, possibly by a lot if that one pounds is 'wet' food in cans etc.

This is why I usually laugh when I see those 5 gallon pails of 'emergency food' claim they are good for a month yet weigh less than 20 pounds. The math don't lie.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back when I looked into it, the answer I got was that one 5 gallon pail of rice and one 5 gallon pail of beans will feed an adult for 50 days.

So, 4 adults for 90 days would be around 7.2 buckets of rice, and another 7.2 buckets of beans.
View Quote
I was close with my wild guess of 5 of each
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Grits are super cheap.

8nBAIT
View Quote
Thank you great info, I have pancake mix, oats and grits I picked pinto beans because I like them a lot other beans not so much
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#21]
The old rice n bean prepper.

I dont know why I'm doing it but I heard about it on the net.

OP if your from UT there are literally hundreds of places that offer better solutions than some old fucking rice n beans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank you great info, I have pancake mix, oats and grits I picked pinto beans because I like them a lot other beans not so much
View Quote
After a couple weeks you wont, after a couple months youll rather starve.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Your house is really gonna stink.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#24]
FYI on a related issue, looks like the runs on food are starting. Preppers and survivalists now but if things keep getting worse in China, and we start getting cases in the thousands, or even hundreds a month from now, there won't be a Costco, Sam's Club, or grocery store with anything once Sally Soap Opera and Joe Six Pack wake up.

EXCLUSIVE: Emergency Food Supply Company Says Coronavirus Sparks Unprecedented Orders, May Disrupt Supply The president of My Patriot Supply told National File that Coronavirus sparked the industry's most orders in history.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#25]
how is stockpiling food going to save anyone from a virus?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
The stored food is to get you thru the shelter in place stage while you hope a vaccine can get produced in time to save modern society. Better hope you live somewhere where you are not over run by hoards
of sick starving desperate people who have stockpiled nothing(about 90% of the US).

The virus can kill other ways.  If enough people get sick the truck drivers will stop working.  Trucks stop delivering food and fuel and society stops to function.
Coal fired power plants have about two weeks worth of coal.  It takes an army of people to mine coal, truck coal and train coal to power plants.
20% of our power comes from nukes. There are  about 100 plants in the country and our run by about 5000 highly trained, not easily replaceable people.
Some get sick, some have a spouse get sickand they stay home to care for family.  If looting and crime break out others stay home as well.

Power goes out people die from lack of heat. Water needs to be pumped up into apartment buildings in cities. Power goes out people in cities have nothing to drink, no way to flush toilets.
Cities become uninhabital.  Power is off so no gas pumps work but that does not matter since gas stations have not been getting their daily fuel deliveries.  People in cities trying to escape
can't get any fuel so they are now on foot invading the suburbs.   Suburbs don't have water either. People will die fighting over resources and shelter around cities.

Hope that helps, have a pleasant day.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Something else,

pasta.  Dirt cheap.   You can get cans of Hunts spaghetti sauce for 82 cents at Walmart. Four pounds of spaghetti was $2.46 this AM

Armour Treat (spam like) which I actually like fried is only $1.43.  Picked up more of it this AM.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Put simply, stored food might well prevent you from making poor decisions, regardless of the "crisis".
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Any data on the relative shelf life of LDS canned pinto beans compared to the common bucket pack method?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Grits are super cheap.

8nBAIT
View Quote
A few sacks of potatoes, butter and sour cream. Freeze the butter and sour cream.

A few sacks of onions, much better than the dried stuff and in a cool place and spread out, will last the duration of this pandemic -hopefully.

Edit- SO says freezing sour cream and cream cheese doesn't work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any data on the relative shelf life of LDS canned pinto beans compared to the common bucket pack method?
View Quote
they will be the same assuming no air ingress
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
50 day for 60 lbs of food, thats way thin

If you assume 2k cal per day, 25# rice per bucket, 35# beans per bucket

1 of each will get you 11 days, so a family of 4 will need 11 buckets of each for just calories (not total nutrition)
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

50 day for 60 lbs of food, thats way thin

If you assume 2k cal per day, 25# rice per bucket, 35# beans per bucket

1 of each will get you 11 days, so a family of 4 will need 11 buckets of each for just calories (not total nutrition)
View Quote
Constructive post!

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Big pot of beans everyday simmering. Not hard to figure out. Also thats a lot of beans.

I lived on hotpockets for a week once. I was ready to kill for real food.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably a dumb question, but I’ve read several posts on here about freezing things to kill bugs and larvae.  Would that include the pancake mix mentioned earlier in this thread?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Something else,

pasta.  Dirt cheap.   You can get cans of Hunts spaghetti sauce for 82 cents at Walmart. Four pounds of spaghetti was $2.46 this AM

Armour Treat (spam like) which I actually like fried is only $1.43.  Picked up more of it this AM.

8nBAIT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something else,

8nBAIT
Thanks did already too lots of spaghetti fixens
And canned goods and veggies. And too ramen the rice and beans were to supplement long term
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This seems light on the fat.  A pound of lard does not go very far.  The pound you are using would be slightly more than a soup cans worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is light on the fat, which is why I mentioned using more to get more calories. Fat has 9 K-Cal/gram vs 4 for carbs and protein.

Lard is saturated, so it will not oxidize as quickly. It will stay fresh longer.

Lard also tends to be preserves with antioxidants.

If you use 5lbs of lard you can maybe get ~2200 kcal/day. (I haven't done the calculation yet).

My usual 5 gallon bucket has 5lbs of corn flour, 1lbs of salt, a couple spices, 1lbs of lard and the rest is an equal mix of beans and rice (I think 20 lbs each). I have a bunch of lard for soap making, so I don't worry too much about not having enough lard in each bucket.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Grits are super cheap.

8nBAIT
View Quote
Veggie oil has a short shelf life, because of oxidation.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes all of this.

Crisco has no limit on it's effective shelf life if left sealed in the can. A big bottle of oil starts to go bad as soon as you open it, and if it's in the light, and if it gets warm, etc.  Definitely spread out the oils into others. Coconut oil too. With just rice and beans you are missing lipids and proteins you have to make up for somewhere. (Powdered milk maybe.)

Also, soaking those beans takes a lot of time and a lot of water.  Lentils and split peas can be tossed in a pot with water and cooked straight away saving water and time.

I would add powdered milk, powdered eggs, canned meats, spices, dried onions, etc. and pretty soon you are almost eating normal.  Make several and rotate and you'll greatly reduce the risk of losing everything or all of one thing. And you'll learn how to adjust to not liking whatever you stored by tweaking it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grits are super cheap.

8nBAIT
Yes all of this.

Be sure to balance your amino acid.

One might consider a few cans of spam in each bucket. It is weight inefficient, due to the water int he spam, but it does have salt and enough complete amino acid to help balance the diet.

Also a bottle of adult vitamins wouldn't hurt, but they go bad pretty quick, ~2 years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Probably a dumb question, but I’ve read several posts on here about freezing things to kill bugs and larvae.  Would that include the pancake mix mentioned earlier in this thread?

Thanks in advance for the help.
View Quote
HAs to be a "hard freeze" and 99% of home freezers will not reach that temperature

Even the USDA web site doesn't mention this. ..
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:01:42 AM EDT
[#41]
"Beans and Rice" will not give you a complete protein.

Whole rice will give better nutrition, however the oil in the whole rice will cause it to oxidize and go rancid quickly.

To compensate add corn. Rice is just there for starch.

All the old cultures had a complete vegetarian proteins.

Native Americans had beans and corn, Mediterraneans had wheat and lentils, Chinese had (whole) rice and Soybeans, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafood-safety/general-information-patients-and-consumers/seafood-safety-topics/parasites

Parasites become a concern when consumers eat raw or lightly preserved fish such as sashimi, sushi, ceviche, and gravlax. When preparing these products, use commercially frozen fish. Alternatively, freeze the fish to an internal temperature of -4°F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present. Home freezers are usually between 0°F and 10°F and may not be cold enough to kill the parasites.

-4 degrees fahrenheit = -20 degrees celsius
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Don’t forget comfort foods like Mac n cheese for the kiddos

Also get multi vitamin supplements and antipyretics.

#300 count over 50 vitamins are about 14 dollars at Walmart.

I spent extra for the kids flinstones, but those are rotated through monthly.  They had aver a years dating so I bought 12mos worth.  I just replace it monthly with fresh product so I always have a year on hand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Is there a reason not stock up on large canned items instead of the dry bags?   They are good as long as the can is intact and you don't have to use a ton of water and fuel to prep it.

Not trying to shit post, genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
no it doesn't

It will last a couple years in the jug,easy
I've kept it as long as 4 years, got a smoking deal on peanut oil after thanksgiving.

I used leftover frying oil for 7 years strait, strain it, then add extra when needed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is there a reason not stock up on large canned items instead of the dry bags?   They are good as long as the can is intact and you don't have to use a ton of water and fuel to prep it.
Not trying to shit post, genuinely curious.
View Quote
are you talking wet pack or dry pack cans?

dry pack cans are more expensive

wet pack, its more expensive. Its also harder to keep wet pack leftovers if you don't have electricity. Its also doesn't last as long, high acidic food will eat the cans up.

4-5 years cans can be eaten but some of them will have a off taste.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I spent extra for the kids flinstones, but those are rotated through monthly.  They had aver a years dating so I bought 12mos worth.  I just replace it monthly with fresh product so I always have a year on hand.
View Quote
I need to stack Vitamin D up. I'm convinced it's a huge driving force behind keeping me healthy now.

Once I bumped to 5000 IU daily I felt so much better, and got sick way less often.

I need to get blood work done to make sure I'm not over doing it, but it's been crazy the last year, I almost always get sick when the kids do, and I'm maybe 1 for 5 now, and my energy levels are much more evened out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#48]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMcYxLBy2Co&t=10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNS9eyhaVQ8&t=115s

this might help, he goes over a bunch of info.  BLUF 750lbs per person per year, give you 3200 calories a day, so back that number out to the number of months you think you'll be holed up.

you're going to want more than beans and rice. rice and beans are not going to keep your immune system healthy, have diversity. oh, an TP, you're going to need alot of TP and soap.

you should also ask yourself what are the secondary effects of most of the nation being locked up in their homes for 3 months. what's going to happen in the economy, with your job, with medical services....etc etc
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
no it doesn't

I've kept it as long as 4 years, got a smoking deal on peanut oil after thanksgiving.

I used leftover frying oil for 7 years strait, strain it, then add extra when needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no it doesn't

:laughs in single bond carbon chain:

>-< is win

>=< is fail

With special treatments, including vitamin A you can extend it a few years, but it's really hard to go past 5 years on unsaturated fats.

It's 30 years on PROPERLY PRESERVED AND SEALED dry goods, that is why.

Crisco is nice and all, but it's hard to call it "food".

Trans fat is poison.

This is now a Tranny Thread.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I need to stack Vitamin D up. I'm convinced it's a huge driving force behind keeping me healthy now.

Once I bumped to 5000 IU daily I felt so much better, and got sick way less often.

I need to get blood work done to make sure I'm not over doing it, but it's been crazy the last year, I almost always get sick when the kids do, and I'm maybe 1 for 5 now, and my energy levels are much more evened out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multi vitamins - fat based vitamins will break down, mineral based will not.

"Other" based will also break down, but in a different way/rate than fat based.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top