Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2022 2:08:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a cellular camera ? We need one on our cabin but I wouldn't store anything there you can't replace or that would put you in jeopardy of losing .
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Family cabin in MT was always stocked with enough food for a good two weeks.
Enough gear for five/six people.

We try to keep stuff at fish-camp but it keeps getting broken into.
Hopefully next year we will be putting a steel door/metal bar door and lockable shutters in.

Camps use to always have a couple of weeks of food and gear to keep you warm. To much theft now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
all the preps.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
i'm debating this now.  i am only a couple miles from my cabin and go up about every other day.  i'm more worried about bears smelling food and breaking in destroying everything than methheads.   hard choice.    thinking i might put a cheap safe up there or something
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Security would be my biggest concern.  If the place is fairly secure, I would have as much as I could store there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Set up some mouse killing devices too.  The more you put there the more it will attract mice.

There is an outdoor one that uses a CO2 cartridge to smash heads and then drop the mouse on the ground where the local wildlife can do the clean up for you. "Goodnature" is the brand.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Family cabin in MT was always stocked with enough food for a good two weeks.
Enough gear for five/six people.

We try to keep stuff at fish-camp but it keeps getting broken into.
Hopefully next year we will be putting a steel door/metal bar door and lockable shutters in.

Camps use to always have a couple of weeks of food and gear to keep you warm. To much theft now.
View Quote

+1

A lock is an obstacle.  Obstacles are pointless unless supervised.

Unless you/someone lives there regularly expect it to be broken into
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
consider concealment over fortification. Think false wall, hidden cellar, stuff like that. Most thieves carry sawz-alls and cordless grinders, so any locks will amount to a mere inconvenience. You can't steal what you can't find however. Does anyone really look in the outhouse or toilet tank when they're tossing a place? But also keep in mind most thieves have insider knowledge if you catch my drift. Good advice is to store what you don't mind losing. Most people aren't going to break in to steal food and water. At least not until things get ugly. You don't want enough provisions that would be raiders set up camp at your cabin, making yourself vulnerable to them intercepting you on your way there. I wouldn't be leaving behind any NFA stuff, or much guns and ammo either. You can always bring that stuff with you. I helped a few older couples move in my day, they were quite creative in finding ways to hide cash in furniture. Never underestimate your own ingenuity. Prisoners and drug dealers are some of the best at concealing things, because they spend all kinds of time thinking up ways to hide stuff. Put some thought into it and you'll surprise yourself
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top