Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2021 6:22:51 PM EDT
I recently moved from the city to more of a rural setting. Family always "joke" they will come out when things get bad in the city. I laugh and say things like "better bring your food". I'm not sure if they are really hearing me when I say that. If everyone sets up camp here, they are going to eat up supplies real quick. Exactly zero of them are prepared in any way. Anyone else in the same boat?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny you asked, we’re having a SHTF meeting right now; let me count...1.....2.....
Yep; 2
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had it mentioned a couple times, but more on current events that they wish they were in bfe like me
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A fair amount, well into the double digits. Half of them will be denied.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a female coworker that jokes about it.  I'd let her in  No pics.  EDIT:  Other than immediate family, nobody is really coming over.  My wife and children are actually probably going to make our way to my Dad's or my best friend & his wife's house.  Either is about the same distance in opposite directions.  My friends wife is a nurse which is a plus, and we've all discussed "what if's", so I wouldn't just be barging in and would be bringing stuff to help survive.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny you asked, we’re having a SHTF meeting right now; let me count...1.....2.....

Yep; 2
View Quote

Two is a good number.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Around 30, but close to half will be denied due to voting history.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I think we had close to 50 here for a kids b-day party once. All I could think was 1). They just ate $400 worth of food, and 2). R.I.P. Septic system.
I'll be boarding up the windows I guess.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
To the very few who know I prep, I have made it perfectly clear:

Show up with a year's worth of food for everyone in your party and a reasonable supply of arms/ammo and you'll be welcome.

Otherwise, I'll consider you a raider and you'll be dealt with appropriately.

The uncomfortable silence which usually follows is priceless.

Edit: Sorry. That's not really what you asked. I would say the answer is about 10, give or take. GF's family, mostly, but also a couple trusted, worthwhile friends.

And my son, I hope, but he's got a long way to come.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
People joke about it often and most are taken back by the directness of my response.  And I’m not a public prepper, they just know they type of land I have and the resources.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
In my circle the more the merrier. All valuable good people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
It's just me and the wife, I guess if things really get that bad we could have four additional coming over, they have nothing planned.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My kids,my mom and my younger sister with her 3, that's it.

Guys at work get told they'll be added to the pile.

Half don't get it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#13]
One family of 3. I told him to bring food or be food. He got the point. But the M/F ratio works and both of the grown ups are super handy and hard working. So I’m cool with it
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Everybody welcome here is already here.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Very rural here. I have considered getting some folks I know together at our place to try and form a "team" of sorts. One is a nurse. One a mechanic. One a x,y and z. I'm thinking something very informal but we all know each other and way out here I'm pretty sure it would work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I have people said they are coming to my house, don't know I prep, lot of people in the office have guns, but my attitude I think makes people think I am prepared.  I NEVER talk prepping.

I have told people variations such as be able to be a concubine or pull a plow, and I don't think you are that cute.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I recently moved from the city to more of a rural setting. Family always "joke" they will come out when things get bad in the city. I laugh and say things like "better bring your food". I'm not sure if they are really hearing me when I say that. If everyone sets up camp here, they are going to eat up supplies real quick. Exactly zero of them are prepared in any way. Anyone else in the same boat?
View Quote

No, because I won't let them on my lawn or give them anything.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The more people that show up, the more I will have to eat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm close to 3 houses on my road, one is well armed, the other so-so, both of them are welcome,  the third is a man and woman both democrats, they can fend for themselves.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mostly this...the only people (with exception of one family I can think of) that have said something are welcome. They may not be of equal skill or experience, they may not all come with a year of food, but they are of the right mentality to bring what they can, fit in, and work as a team for the benefit of the group. They are considered good friends and I will be damned if I watch them peril in the city while I'll fight to keep on top of my to-do list out here bc I need more hands. And if things go south and we don't make it, at least our final days were spent trying our best with our closest friends instead of heartlessly turning them away so we could live like hermits.

Now, don't take that out of context. There absolutely ARE people that will be turned away. I just will not make a black and white rule that you must come with a year supply of food, or so much armament to be admitted. You must come with a survival mentality and willingness to integrate into the group.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#21]
No one, and that’s how I want it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#22]
There are less than 10 people that know where my house is and they can all take care of themselves.

Not even all my siblings could find my house. It pays to be a recluse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Better be none
I moved 4 months ago
Nearest family is more rural than me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:03:24 AM EDT
[#24]
We’re the opposite, heavily prepped in the city with an open invitation to the BILs farm.

Different situation and we’re working on buying our own OBX nearby theirs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a buddy and his wife that say they will.

Seems to think hes gonna go to my "remote" place.  The kind of place folks here call a bug out location.  Don't know why....Great place to hunt and camp, but kinda a dumb spot to try to live in most cases.

They'll be there alone if they do, and likely be worm food the first spring.

He won't make it out of the Detroit metro area anyhow
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quite a few. Mostly kids. When we built the house we oversized the septic specifically for that reason. A long term situation (as in months and months) would create a potential issue with the septic but for a period of a few weeks to a month with everyone....no problem.

The people who would come would be valued assets. My neighbors would also work with us. No one survives alone. Teamwork is critical.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#29]
You need enough adults. You and your wife aren’t enough to protect your home. Remember Selco?

• Do not be alone when SHTF. No matter how romantic it looks to be the
lone wolf, it is hard and almost impossible to survive it alone without help.
You are gonna be sick, you are gonna be forced to be on guard 24 hours a
day, you are gonna have hard time looking for resources...

• Find likeminded people (preferably before SHTF). You need time to find
people, and you need time to get to know that people.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Very few.  We don't live near family and most "friends" have their own plans.  My son (and likely his GF) are about all that we would get.  We could house and support a dozen if needed and we have opened our house to family evacuating FL from previous hurricanes.  

My only concern is security.  My plan for the past few years is that my son has a small group of ROTC cadets he's tight with...that would have been perfect, but with him graduating this spring, there aren't too many I would trust.  I do have a half-dozen or so .mil I'm close with, so for those needing a place, they already know but also have their own preps and plans.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#32]
There’s a small circle of family and friends who actively plan and prep to come to my house during an event. If the Russians/Cubans/Chicoms started parachuting in, I’d expect 18-24 people to make their way here. Septic is my weak point...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Up to 11 depending on which shit hits the fan for who.  We're close enough for everyone to drive to work but rural enough to be out of the masses. So a house fire could be easily covered.  If its a larger scale issue, then everyone has a farm or lake house to evac to if needed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You need enough adults. You and your wife aren’t enough to protect your home. Remember Selco?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

• Do not be alone when SHTF. No matter how romantic it looks to be the
lone wolf, it is hard and almost impossible to survive it alone without help.
You are gonna be sick, you are gonna be forced to be on guard 24 hours a
day, you are gonna have hard time looking for resources...

• Find likeminded people (preferably before SHTF). You need time to find
people, and you need time to get to know that people.

??
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I've told people that unless they're bringing their own food and supplies don't bother.  Most are too busy buying the latest cars, boats, phones and other crap to put away a couple cases of food, a basic water purifier or more than a box or two of hunting rounds.  If things start to get dicey here I have two other friend's places I can go, but they both know I'll show up with my truck and trailer packed full of useful stuff including food.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP asked who was coming over, not the size of the gene pool involved in the plan...different answer altogether
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm close to 3 houses on my road, one is well armed, the other so-so, both of them are welcome,  the third is a man and woman both democrats, they can fend for themselves.
View Quote

Couple #3 will bring a Veggie platter and DEMAND to be let in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couple number three can leave the veggie platter and the woman if she's attractive with a strong back, the dude can go kick rocks.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#39]
For those worried about their septic, visitors (and your own)  could use a bucket and dump it “out back”. For some, water may become a precious commodity that you don’t literally want to flush down the drain.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#40]
A few.

Wish I would be here to see thier face when they show up and the place is empty (Assuming of course, the neighbors even let them pass through the roads), as I have bugged out myself to a location they never knew about.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Ones that prepare probably won't... Ones that are not doing anything, probably will unfortunately... They will think I'm their  government hand out...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Most family is dead. The ones alive are a long ways off and we don't talk. Friends? I have lots of acquaintances, but not many friends, and damn few of them know anything about trying to plan ahead. Neighbors are ex felons, mental cases, and pot heads, gonna be real sporty the first few days.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My kids,my mom and my younger sister with her 3, that's it.

Guys at work get told they'll be added to the pile.

Half don't get it.

View Quote
If SHTF, it would probably be 4-7. My wife, kids, MIL, SIL and her BF. Not because they need anything, but because of strength in #s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I have no idea how many people plan to bug out to my house,
the question is more like "How many people are you going to let in?....."
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#45]
My mom often makes this claim but realistically we'd probably head somewhere else. Then she makes a claim that she'd head to a family friends house and how "he'd have plenty of supplies for me" and "I know they have a place for me" when in reality I know they won't. The friend has unlimited resources and is somewhat prepared with plenty of firearms/ammo but not much else that I know which may be the point. They would be a resource if things got really bad but in the long run not sure if they are sustainable long term.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Gas, Grass, or Ass...
My actual typical response is something similar to this: "You'd better call first, to make sure you're not mistaken for the enemy. Oh yeah I almost forgot, I don't answer the phone."
View Quote

Plus, sporadic gunfire out the windows has been known to deter the unwanted, the unappreciative, opportunistic glad-handers, and would-be squatters and moochers, ... ... not to mention your  'Uncle Jerry'-types  who assume that, because you're technically 'family,' it's your moral obligation to take care of them despite their failure to lift one finger themselves to prep for anything.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Its funny when I hear this.   Usually I'm the "there is no reason to have that much ammo" go to person.... till shit hits the fan, then all of a sudden people want to come to my place since they think ill just give them ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A fair amount, well into the double digits. Half of them will be denied.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Wife's family. They are all well stocked and we need the bodies for security, etc. Other than that, keep walking.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Planning? Uninvited, 2, maybe 3

Will be staying?  None.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top